Favorite Beaches: Mayaguana
Style: ?
Gear: North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Fiji

Postby sson1216 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:58 pm

So I'm planning to have a big trip in December. After Australia, I'm planning to check out FiJi.
( I wanted to go to New Caledonia but flights are so expensive. )
I found two places. Safari Lodge and Funky fish beach resort.
I don't think I can go both places. Have anyone tried these places? How is the condition there?
Is there any other kiting spot that you recommend? Thanks so much for reading and reply!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing in Fiji

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:22 pm

here an overview of locations on Fiji:

http://locations.splocs.com/kitesurf/co ... lands.html

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Too many to list in Auckland NZ, currently Kite Beach Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Style: Freeride, Big Air, Learning Surf
Gear: Best Kites 08 Nemesis 12m, 09 Nemesis 8m &10.
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster

Postby hombrekiteloop » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 pm

I holidayed in Fiji in September of 2007 and kited on Nananu-i-ra from or near Safari Lodge. There was good wind (20-30kn) every day for the week that I was there. The beach is very small and the launch can be tricky but the kiting was fun, though a little choppy.

I stayed at Wananavu Resort on the main island (Viti Levu) and came across each day by boat. I can’t remember how much they charged at Wananavu for the transfer but it wasn’t too bad and the resort was a very nice place to stay. Before you book at safari google WARREN FRANCIS, he is the owner of Safari. I know many people have had a good experience there but many have not. I wont bother going into details but I used some of his services and he tried to inflate the price drastically when it cam time to pay. Even once I argued the price and he agreed I found that he had charged Australian Dollars not Fiji Dollars and had to fix the charges to my CC. Just make sure you are absolutely sure of the costs before you agree to anything with Warren.

Also I’m not sure this is helpful but I thought that time of the year is the getting into the rainy season and that the best time for Fiji is during the Southern winter.

There is a thread here that I think will have people on both sides I haven’t read it but the title gives you a clue “Fiji Warning”
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=2317575
also try
http://myfijiguide.com/accommodation/sa ... e=comments

I met another guy there who stayed at Bethams Cottages. He said it was simple but good.
http://www.beautifulpacific.com/booking ... thams.html
Last edited by hombrekiteloop on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:45 pm

We take a group every year the last 2 weeks of August to Safari Lodge.

For sure you have to verify costs in everything in Fiji before you do anything. Even a taxi fare, where if you don't settle on a price before getting in the taxi you will easily pay double.

Nananu-i-ra is the pick of kiting locations in Fiji, in the Trade wind season. Safari Lodge has the back up and boat support to get you out to the prime kiting spots. (day trippers some times willy nilly get on the boat out to the outer reefs before checking cost and get surprised when they get the bill).
There is some political in fighting amongst the various accom places on the island and the Vast vast majority of negative comments on various travel forums etc. are actually one vindictive soul.

As I said we take a group every year at the peak of the Trade wind season. all who come are thrilled and have a great time. If this wasn't the case we wouldn't get to go EVERY year.

Going in December would be for a hot tropical, relax, with the odd 15kt session.

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Too many to list in Auckland NZ, currently Kite Beach Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster

Postby hombrekiteloop » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:21 am

I paid Warren $80 for one trip out to the reef for a down-winder, that was very expensive but I agreed to it. My girlfriend wanted lessons and we agreed to pay a lot for them. But she didn’t want to go to another spot where they teach without me as we were on holiday together. She told Warren she would not go by herself. Warren said that it was fine I could just jump in the boat and go across with them. The instructor was a nice guy but being a trained instructor now I realize how unprofessional he was, no safety at all etc. When we went to settle Warren tried to charge me $80 per day (3 days $240) for “boat support” for the fact that I accompanied my GF so she would take his lessons, even the guys in the boat who had to tell me this knew it wasn’t the deal and were very embarrassed about it. Fiji uses a Fiji dollar and every other place I went used it, Warren did not state his prices were Aus $ and I was not in Australia. He charges Australian $ to my card and that put his already huge prices up another 30%. No matter how thin you slice it there’s always two sides but in this case it fell buttered side down! I’m sure people have had a good experience at Safari but I am not a vindictive local or a confused day-tripper, WARREN TRIED TO RIP ME OFF.

I’m sure there is politics involved but you don’t get a rep like that for no reason, just be careful.

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.

Postby RAL INN » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:25 pm

So you stayed at the Wananavu resort and paid to get ferried across each day.
you hopped on a boat to go to another kiting location that by definition is a place to kite from, hence your girl friend learning to kite there. I would assume you did the logical thing and had a kite there.

Like I said, sort pricing out in advance. We had a couple who booked to stay at Wananavu for 4 days and got a great price on a special for 4 days. which they booked and paid for. when they got there, all was fine but they needed to stay one more night due to some confusion with when they thought they were flying out. That one night doubled their accom costs.

On our trips, we sort everything out in advance and give an all inclusive price. Safari lodge has a kiosk for snacks prices in Fiji dollars, take cash in fiji dollars to fix up that tab when you leave.

Plus If I was a resort owner and people stayed at a resort nearby then wanted to come and use my resources, I would not be backward in making as much as possible from them.
conversely I know that those staying at Safari Lodge can enjoy Warren's generosity at times.

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster

Postby hombrekiteloop » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. If you want more information just search for it, Warren Francis Fiji, Safari Lodge Fiji Etc. Check with lonely planet, trip adviser, Fiji travel info sites. Seriously try it, he’s made quite a rep for himself. This is the first time I’ve posted my story (except to Visa) and if the bulk of the stuff out there is by one person, they’re certainly putting a lot of work in. You can never please everyone and no matter how hard you try there’ll be people that just aren’t happy but Google Warren and Safari, I’ve never come across anything like it.

If extorting honest people who stayed somewhere else without even knowing about your facility, then agreed to pay you good money for your services once they found you is your idea of good business then good for you.

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.

Postby RAL INN » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 am

See, Now there you have it. follow all those leads to other sites. Strangely the Mode of operation of this one Vindictive attacker is to reply to a thread such as this then direct readers to these other sites which he has filled with his crap under multiple user names.

Please don't fall for his crap. And remember the pitfalls of not sorting out all these costings etc. before you go anywhere in the world.

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster

Postby hombrekiteloop » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:05 am

oh come on!

Warren Francis
Rare Poster

Postby Warren Francis » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 am

Howdy

Thanks to Tony and the other 11 past clients who emailed me advising me of this viral crap on Kiteforum.

We operate Safari Lodge on Nananu-I-Ra island Fiji. I have been there 20 years now and have recently opened Safari Lodge in 2005.

We opened with 12 beds and now offer 40 beds. We started with just one main Lodge, now we offer 2 luxury Beachfront Bures, Ocean View Villa and 2 Mango Tree Villas.

We started with just Windsurfing and now operate the following:
1. Windsurfing - Neil Pryde / JP Australia Test Center with 2010 model gear
2. PADI Scuba Dive Facility - Safari Lodge Divers
4 Dive Boats - 30ft Sharkcat / 27ft Alloy FastCat / 24ft Aloy Machine / 25ft Yamaha
3. Kitesurfing School and Hire / Repair Facility (only one in FIJI)
4. Sea Kayaking Trips - 1,3 and 7 Day Trips
5. Fishing Trips, 1/2, 1 3 and 7 Day Trips
6. Sailing Trips, 1,3 and 7 Day Trips

We offer 24hr Power on the island and 24hr 3G wi-fi Internet (the only one on the island with internet access).

We have retailers from Australia and New Zealand and Hawaii bring groups to stay with us during the Trade Wind Season and this now counts for 17 weeks of Winter Trade Wind back to back weekly bookings.

Email me if you have any specific queries i can asssit with. I am not interested in replying to childish pathetic postings from individuals who hide behind alias names in internet forums.

The proof is there - we are open 365 days a year and employ 32 staff very week.

Come on over - it is lovely!

Rgds

Warren :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”