Gear: SS Rev
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mako King

Postby addicted~2it » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:36 am

I own this board & love it, I prefer TT mode. I was wondering how much bigger this board could get & not lose its performance. I think I would Iike it even more if it were a little wider. I heard Rogue is making this board also, anyone have the details on size?? How bout some pics???

buzzz
Medium Poster

Re: Mako King

Postby buzzz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 am

I can't see any reason to go any longer or wider with the 'King' ... what improvement would you get ?

addicted~2it
Medium Poster
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior

Postby addicted~2it » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:14 am

I'm over 200 lbs, believe me, the bigger the better. At this weight I'm looking for more float, just wondering if a little bigger would ruin the board or make it better for me.

Tio
Medium Poster

Postby Tio » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 am

Hi! I was thinking on trying a Mako king as a Medium/light wind board. Can you share feed back on the performance? What kind/size of kite do you use and in which condiotions?
Thanks.
Tio

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:06 am

Would love to see a board that has a fusion of the shape and qualities of the king and the Underground Freewave/Kipuna. Take the king and stretch it out until it has a more fishy outline, keep the concave as it is, add some more flex, make it wood-core, and soften the rails.

Nowind
Rare Poster

Postby Nowind » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:51 am

I recently purchased a mako king and love it. I have only ridden TT on it so far but plan to try mutant mode soon. I have been on a 150 wide for a couple years and like the board so much that I built a copy 180 x 50 out of plywood last year. It was very labor intensive to get the shape and I had to cut up (score) the plywood so much that by the time I fiberglassed it it was very heavy. Never the less the board was extremely fun to ride but kind of slow. I initially atributed that to the weight. What I was looking for was a board with light wind capabilities that performed, turned well like the mako. The Door type boards I have ridden, although good for light wind are no fun at all don't carve well, turn well or anything. This homemade plyboard performed well but as I said was slow. Last Saturday was the first time I was able to ride the King and the 150 side by side and I found that the king to be much lsower than the 150. This was in the bay with pretty good chop. I was using the same kite within minutes of each other. About 17 kts. on a 15 M Waroo, I am about 195 lbs. Today, I was out on the beach and althought it was supposed to be windy it was not so I pulled out the king. I am confident I could not have stayed upwind on the 150 with the the wind I had but with the king I had a great time. In surf (and I'm talking small crappy stuff) there is no worries about stuffing the tip in a wave. I think I have determined that any less wind than what I had today and it is just not worth it. I am not as experienced as many of you and my winds are light SW Louisiana. I am thinking of getting one of those new flysurfer 21 M. I just don't want to sacrifice board performance.

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board

Postby flylow » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:21 am

The Mako King altho large, is NOT a high wind board. It is a great mutant set up and is so easy that it prevents you from going directional. It does take a good amount of wind to really enjoy it.
I also find the OR 140 with the round edges a blast in waves and is an all around chop eating board. I would like to try the 150 as it would have more edge to go up wind, yet surf the waves with the round edges. So maybe that is why OR is making all their boards in a possible mutant set up?

Nowind
Rare Poster

Postby Nowind » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:11 am

Flylo, I think you ment to say " not a great low wind board" and I concur but it is better than any other board I have tried at light win except a spleen door which I found to be no fun at all. I think the question here is: how do we get a fun performance lightwind board? Surfboard maybe, I haven't explored that venue yet. but will. The King definitely has huge lightwind advantage to the 150W.

On another post, talking about the Mako Mini I think, they were talking about being overpowered on Mako 140/150. I just cant imagine how overpowered they are to achieve this vs any other tt.

addicted~2it
Medium Poster
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior

Postby addicted~2it » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 am

I can ride this board upwind in 15 mph, keep in mind I ride a 12 RPM which is lacking in low end.
Love this board in TT mode, it's too slow in mutant mode for me. Personaly, I would just get a directional rather than ride this in mutant mode. Plus, it keeps the same positive wave riding capibilites in TT mode, without the hassle of riding toeside all the way back.
If you havent tried this in TT mode yet you need to.

Nowind
Rare Poster

Postby Nowind » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:20 am

Yeah, Addict, I am having trouble understanding how I will benefit from mutant mode over TT, which is how I am riding it now. I have the pad, straps fins still in the box. I will eventually try them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”