Forum for kitesurfers
sketchywind
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2009/2010 wave kite to upgrade from 2007 Cab. Switchblade

Postby sketchywind » Fri May 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Any suggestions for a dedicated wave kite to replace my 2007 Cabrinha Switchblades 6/8/12 ?
I'm thinking of the 2009 Naish Helix, 2010 Naish Cult, RRD Religion, Slingshot RPM/KEY or Cabrinha Nomad.
Looking for low bar pressure, faster turning, and good wave riding characteristics in a kite.
I kite in mostly side/onshore shorebreak.
Thanks. :D
Last edited by sketchywind on Fri May 14, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numb
Rare Poster

Re: 2009/2010 wave kite to upgrade from 2007 Cab. Switchblad

Postby Numb » Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 pm

You have to demo stuff to see what feels right to you. I have had alot of friends ask me for recommendations for new kite since I demo more stuff than they do. They all ride SB3's and I have tried to get them to ride Liquid Force, Naish etc.... but they don't like any of them because the all fly so differently than the Cab Bow's.

Here is my thoughts on the kites you have listed. 09 Helix/10Cult is basically the same kite. Very very slow turning in the big sizes and you have to move the kite alot to get power as opposed to the SB which is sheet in and go. It flys off the front lines which is very different to what you have been using. RRD Religion and Cab Nomad are fast turning kites and awesome in the waves but they need to be very powered to get max performance out of them. The only problem with this is you'll be riding an 11m or 10m when everyone else is on 9m or 7m in the waves. They turn just as fast as some 9's and 7's but it is still a big heavy kite.

For other recommendations, see if you can demo a North Rebel. It will fly similarly to your SB but is better turning for wave riding. Most people love these in waves, not my cup of tea though. Also try a couple of the better Delta's. Bandit 3 is a great kite and great in the waves, but if you buy one get it with a 2010 North 4 line bar (more durable). Small Wainman Rabbit's are freakin awesome. And surprisingly the new Best Kahoona v.2 (I really didn't want to like it but it is an amazing kite probably the only good kite Best made this year) Best thing about a Delta kite is you can ride a 9m in 15-20mph which makes them more fun to through around in waves.

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:13 am

sketchywind wrote:Any suggestions for a dedicated wave kite to replace my 2007 Cabrinha Switchblades 6/8/12 ?
I'm thinking of the 2009 Naish Helix, 2010 Naish Cult, RRD Religion, Slingshot RPM/KEY or Cabrinha Nomad.
Looking for low bar pressure, faster turning, and good wave riding characteristics in a kite.
Well. The religion is not super grunty, but it makes power due to fast turning and flying speed. Initially I was turned off by this as I have been riding Obsessions, which are VERY grunty. But after taking this out in onshore and sideshore waves, I get it. As you turn and loop the kite, you don't get yanked off the wave or out of the section you want to hit. Also, It stays right where you need it until you turn it, and it seems to respond really well, even if your lines are kinda slacked.
I've got some local standout wave riders on this kite right now, and they're all frothing over it. And these are tough customers. They'll go with what they like, not what they can get the best deal on.

The kite gets me upwind as well as my obsession, even though I don't feel super powered doing it. I just sort of look up and realize "whoa, I'm upwind" - even upwind of guys on some of the kites mentioned above. (Same size kite, weight riders, etc.)

Frankly, it's a wave only kite, and preferably for the kind of rider who wants to SURF on the wave, using as little of the kites power as possible. It even has bridle settings for onshore and sideshore. It doesn't jump high, It doesn't loop hard, it doesn't have a ton of pop unhooked. If waves are all you ride, you should definitely give this kite a try. If you're looking for a kite with sheet in- sheet out power, unhooked pop, loops and overall flexibility, we have the obsession :)
Cheers,
Jeff

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 15, 2010 9:08 am

sketchywind wrote:Any suggestions for a dedicated wave kite to replace my 2007 Cabrinha Switchblades 6/8/12 ?
I use the Helix, low bar pressure (adjustable), fast turning, grunty kite. Lots of pull. Cult in comparison is also light on the bar, turns fast, but with a little less gruntiness. I think the cult really excels in unstable winds and it as super good range, but a lot of people prefer that kite..I like the helix just a little more.... Both kite floats well with you. Helix is a little more aggressive.

I agree tho testing kites is a good idea..but if not, then this might be the second best.

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Sat May 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Cab Nomad still has the well balanced, predictable and smooth feel that Cabrinha kites are known for, but with more turning speed.
Lower barpressure than SB on the wave-setting. Also the quickest turning on the wave setting.

Im riding the 5.5m, and also tried the 9m. In general the Nomad needs a little bit more wind, but i felt the 9m comes very close to the SB 8.

sketchywind
Rare Poster

Postby sketchywind » Sun May 16, 2010 12:58 am

Is the 2009 Helix more of the original "C" kite style, such as having to edge more to depower or handle the kite?
I'm definitely looking for a kite that works well in onshore/side on waves.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun May 16, 2010 8:07 am

sketchywind wrote:Is the 2009 Helix more of the original "C" kite style, such as having to edge more to depower or handle the kite?
I'm definitely looking for a kite that works well in onshore/side on waves.
If you mean 2010 then yes. There is no problem riding this kite in a much wider range of conditions than any c kite I have ridden. It definitely has that grunty pull to it where you want to be more active on your board...goes upwind like there is no tomorrow...more but not exactly. The 2009 is a more pure SLE type kite. It turns better IMO than kites a ton of pulleys on. Very stable in a lot of conditions. I disagree with numb that the larger sizes turns slower than other large sizes. I have the 13.5 2010 Cult, and the kite is just as fast turning as other large kites I have ridden. The 12 Helix is faster IMO.

Anyhow...a lot of this probably has to do with me being more used to the helix / cult and Number more used to other type kites. It takes some time to get used to different kites.

sketchywind
Rare Poster

Postby sketchywind » Sun May 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to demo some of those kites you recommended.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Hello: Try the new 2010 GLOBE KITE TRIX, as this is a fast turning kite, falls back in the window very well and stays powered up through the turns. I have found that the downwinders we do here riding waves this kite performs well in gusts and lulls. Also, the bombproof construction guarantees a long lasting kite. One pump, easy bar and selective throw length.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Re: 2010/2011 wave kite to upgrade from 2007 Cab. Switchblad

Postby liv2surf » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:34 pm

good thread. wonder what wave kites people are thinking of for 2011.

Some thoughts North Rebel, Caution, Cab Nomad, Airush Lithium, Fone Bandit, RRD Religion.
Last edited by liv2surf on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”