Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New kitesurf hydrofoil from Spotz, France

Forum for kitesurfers
Europ2
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

New kitesurf hydrofoil from Spotz, France

Postby Europ2 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:31 pm

JC kiteboards (JC stands for "Jérôme COURTOIS", the well known SPOTZ shaper) is based in south of France. His name is not totally unknown for some of us.
As he his the type of guy who never releases something if not properly tuned, the latest opus of his know-how can therefore be considered VERY SERIOUSLY.

After 10 years of shape for the windsurfing, surfing and kitesurfing industry, here is his solution for the stand up hydrofoil for kiteboarders (airchair / airski like).
This is my free and personal translation from his website http://jc-kiteboards.fr/news/2010/07/le ... /#comments
My own comments appear between square brackets [like this].
Enjoy !
Announced a few months ago, the new low-swirl kitesurfing stand up hydrofoil from SPOTZ has just been officially released.
With a 96cm-long mast [38"] and only 15mm thick [0.59" or 9/16"] [yes, 32% slimmer than the existing ones on the market!] this new SPOTZ toy, reinforced with state-of-the-art carbon fibres placement, splits the chop with elegance at full speed aiming at minimizing water and air disturbance.
SP1 top view.jpg
SP1 top view.jpg (92.37 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
The length of the horizontal T-bar part is just 76cm [29"] and offers a high stability - a very precious feature to master the beast at high speed tacks.
The rigidity is already excellent but will still be improved on next models by still optimizing carbon fibres orientation.
SP2 Stabilizer Tuning.jpg
SP2 Stabilizer Tuning.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
The rear stabilizer can be easily and precisely tuned. This adjustment allows to flawlessly match the torque of any front wing with any rear stabilizer, independently of their respective profile and tuning angle.
The vertical and horizontal parts of the T-bar have been respectively designed with a finely tuned hydrodynamic profile in order to minimize their influence on the" flight" characteristics of the front wing/stabilizer torque and also to minimize the hydrodynamic drag.
SP3 Front view.jpg
The vertical part of the T-bar, placed at an angle of 7 degrees to the front wing [and to the bottom of the board], provides several advantages. On the one hand, in addition to the short length of the horizontal portion ahead of the mast, the inclination limits the torque created between the centre of push of the hydrofoil and the centre of gravity of the rider, located just above.
On the other hand, it penetrates into water so "elusively" that mast torsion phenomena are self-stabilized, whereas on a perpendicular mast or still worse leaning forward one, those phenomena are self-increasing in a dangerous way and generate a yaw phenomenon so troublesome to hydrofoil kiteesurfers. (… a bit technical without schematic, is the least we can say)

This foil is fitted on the SPOTZ "freeride" board, the latest directional board using a modified Tuttle box (very light/simple/effective/clean/reliable).
The presented model is fitted with 5 fin boxes (FCS and FUTURE FINS compatible) in order to ride either in Quattro or Thruster mode.
Based on his experience in surfboards and long-distance kitesurf boards manufacturing, JC-kiteboards offers here the ideal compromise for everyone who wants an ultra versatile directional board used without hydrofoil: a superior upwind capability compared to existing kitesurfing directional wave boards in addition to grip, great top speed, amazing control in the chop (even strapless) as well as being comfortable during jibes and surf moves.
SP4 Side view.jpg
SP4 Side view.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
Converting the board from hydrofoil to directional mode is done in 2 minutes time watch in hand.
OK, let's be realistic, 4 min will be needed for the comprehensive set of operations with the same and unique straight screwdriver: set up/removal of straps and fins, stabilizer angle adjustment, stabilizer and front wing attachment.

With this freeride board + hydrofoil set, you have in hands a toy that offers you plenty of opportunities: hydrofoil riding from 6 knots, competing in long distance races or for fun, ripping in waves while keeping control during tricky conditions or at high speed, riding carefree (or not) on your home spot with or without straps, in short, fully enjoying any session and being happy every time you ride whatever the weather conditions and the chosen spot.

[...] Its 15min past midnight and I need a good rest to satisfy pending orders :wink:

See ya'
Jérôme
Last edited by Europ2 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New kitesurf hydrofoil from Spotz, France

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:48 pm

any videos???

vasco
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby vasco » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Price?

jm33
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Arcachon ( France )
Favorite Beaches: Lacanau-Ville ( France - Aquitaine on the lake )
Style: All
Gear: ...

Postby jm33 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:22 pm

The video the next week, the price 900€ complete ( photo'version with board freeride + foil full carbon )...

I'll use this new foil in first time this WE, feedback just after, you can reed the results on :

http://kitefoil.forumactif.net/forum.htm :wink:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Nice!! Good to see the foil concept is still being developed. I think it looks intuitively like it would work nicely, however there are a lot of variables to mind when designing foils. One of the problems I have (note: I am not very god at riding it) is that although the upwind ability is insane, it becomes harder to control in higher speed..and the board penalize you pretty harshly for any errors at high speeds. Normal raceboard becomes moroe stable at higher speeds..at least comparatively. That means that means that in races foils will do fine going upwind, but not as good going straight downwind on a speed run.

You barely need a board under the foil though...and the footstraps would be placed differently on a foil then on a surfboard (me thinks). I hope the desire to cover so many different things doesn't inhibit the overall design of each component. :-)

That said, I think the attachment via a modified tuttle seems interesting. It'll definitely have more pressure than any tuttle I've ever seen. On the rush models I think the attachment is a weakness, leading to the foil moving a little when attached, It might not affect the performance tho...on the one I have the attachment is reasonably simple, but wear a lot on the screws...it'll take me about 5 mins to mount the foil to the board.

Fun to ride tho...

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:07 am

A few picts to describe the simplicity of some details that matter
(Credit = JC Kiteboard site for pict1, JM33 for pict 2&3 :wink:)

The multi purpose board - looks like a normal directional kiteboard (5'59ft x 17.17in)
SP5 170x45 board.jpg
SP5 170x45 board.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 6618 times
The modified mini tuttle fixing the T-bar to the board
[Let's hope this will become a standard to avoid the mess met in the windsurfing industry as described by Peter Frank in his recent post :idea: :idea: :wink: :wink: ]
SP7 Modified Tuttle.jpg
Lean and mean foil design:
SP9 perspective.jpg

getholdofgraeme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: littlehampton, camber sands, littlestone, hillhead, whitstable
Favorite Beaches: kite beach / langebaan - cape town
Gear: takoon furia ltd, 7, 9, 11 (2010) & naish torch 16m (2007)

Postby getholdofgraeme » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:45 am

at that price i'd expect the board to make me coffee too!! :lol:

jm33
Rare Poster

Postby jm33 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:24 pm

The board is my choise: the foil "2 in 1", foil in little wind, and freerideboard in great waves or great wind but board general-prupose more interresting for me... :wink:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Looks like an incredible and beautiful high tech board :)

I would think sea weed and shallow waters would be a problem but I've never seen one first hand though.

jm33
Rare Poster

Postby jm33 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:40 pm

First try for me in foil tomorow in afternoon ! :wink: :wink: :wink:

The board alone is fantastic !! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”