Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

GoPro Kite Mount Idea

Postby RickI » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Just came across this. It involves converting a camera head band into a kite mount. Haven't tried it but I think I have a few of the head mounts so may give it a try. I know guys use the wrist mount but looking at it over the weekend, I wonder if the strap is long enough to fit the center strut of larger kites? This modified one looks to be long enough.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro Kite Mount Idea

Postby zerogee_ca » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 pm

It works well enough. But, you should also duct tape the strap to the strut. Without the duct tape the camera can spin around (on it's own or after a crash) and tear the canopy plus you get some useless footage.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:20 pm

What I have been doing to date is to use the helmet mount with some extension straps. It allows me to tighten it pretty well on to the strut to where it doesn't move. It doesn't look real secure although I have yet to have one come loose.

I was wondering how much tension you could apply to the strap with this modified setup. Thanks for your input. Another approach might be to put it on when the strut is almost full inflated and then pump it up the whole way? Or, do you think it would still spin without the tape?

KitesurferRO
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: worldwide
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KitesurferRO » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:48 am

GoPro Kite Mount Idea
Old news.

If is not tight enough, you'll have it crooked after few rumble mctumbles.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:57 am

Too bad, back to looking around but thanks for the input. In the meantime, as fragile as it looks when leashed the helmet mount works. I am careful not to bash the kite into the water or shore however. For those kind of impacts something more robust is needed.

ihatechop
Rare Poster

Postby ihatechop » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 am

Cool ideas.

I like the wrist mount idea but I dont like that it is fixed and can only be adjusted up or down...at least thats what it looks like. A wrist mount that swivels 360 degrees would be supercool. Anyone seen something like this?

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:17 am

I have used this head strap in the past, but was unhappy with the position of the camera. I wanted it to be 90 degrees so when the kite was parked it would film at the appropriate perspective. I ended up redesigning in CAD and machining a couple. they worked great and then someone on kiteforum mentioned the arm band for the nano 3rd gen through www.h2oaudio.com.
this armband worked great and is all I use now when I want to shoot from the kite strut. I added an extension section and a quick release buckle for ease of use. This way I can wrap it around the strut twice and this helps preventing the camera from accidentally repositioning itself after a tomahawking.

a shot from two days ago on lake washington.

Return to “Kitesurfing”