Forum for kitesurfers
craigT
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which 2011 race board do I go for?

Postby craigT » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm looking for some advice on race boards please. I've just decided I'd like to give it a go but there are loads of boards to choose from. I've seen the boards from North, Naish, Cabrihna, Aguera, Flysurfer Flyrace and more. I've never riden a race board before but want it for lighter wind days, going fast up and downwind and if I like it I might do some races, not to compete for a top place more for the experience if you know what I mean.

So here are my questions...
1. What is the most popular board used in National comps?
2. Are there any Naish boards in the UK?
3. Anyone tried different brands back to back?
4. Is it better to have a board that can be changed from 3 to 4 fins depending on the course?
5. Are race boards ok (comfy) to ride around on for a few hours taking it easy or are they better suited to full on (leg burning) speed all the time?

I have a Flydoor XL that is awesome, if the race boards are way faster/better up and downwind than that I'm very interested to try them out. I have a Flysurfer sp3 19 and 12 dlx and 9,7,5 Wainmans, so you're going to tell me all I need is an Ozone/Cab 15m and sets of extension lines right?

...sorry for all the questions in one post and thanks in advance for any input :D

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Which 2011 race board do I go for?

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi,

This is what I think. But 1st:

1) I am a Flysurfer Teamrider
2) I have tried all of the boards on your list
3) I use my own custom directionals, but if I had to use a production I would chose either the Flyrace or the Aguera.

Now to your questions:

1) The most popular boards in national comps are last years production models.

2) no idea

3) yes.

The Aguera and the Cabrinha are basically the same board. The fins that come with the Cab are OK but you would do good to replace them with better ones.

The Naish is great for Downwind, but is a bit unstable on the upwind legs. It takes a bit more skill to ride than the Aguera.

The North is probably the least performing out of all the boards on your list.

The Flyrace is damn easy to use and you will manage to easily finish top 10 if not better in most national races with it as it has almost the same performance upwind as the other boards on your list, and is easier to ride downwind as you can pull up the fin. Also you do not need to learn to tack and gybe. And it costs less.

4) Yes

5) Both, but if you really push them they will push back :D . You will feel it in your legs after a few hours.

I hope this answers some questions.

--
Gunnar

patrickrynne
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Biscayne Bay
Style: Racing & Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbows
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Adventure Sports Miami, Kiteracing.com, Patagonia, Kaenon Polarized

Postby patrickrynne » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Anything by Alex Aguera is going to be a great board. Either his customs, production models, or the Cabrinha raceboard are all good. The cabrinha board is essentially a CR 59. I've been working on finding something faster than Alex's CR 59 from last year...and I haven't found it yet. Though his new 63cm (or it might be 62cm?) is pretty kick ass.

so my advice...get on an AA for sure.

answering your questions

1. What is the most popular board used in National comps?
I'd say right now Alex's boards are the most popular.

2. Are there any Naish boards in the UK?
don't know

3. Anyone tried different brands back to back?
yes...and I like Alex's

4. Is it better to have a board that can be changed from 3 to 4 fins depending on the course?
personal preference. Personally I don't like how tri-fins ride. My raceboard last year had 5 fin boxes, and I never got the tri dialed in (not to say it can't be done...i just never got the right fin config working). My board this year will be quad only...i do this to eliminate variables so I can spend more time on the water and less time debating about what fins to use.

5. Are race boards ok (comfy) to ride around on for a few hours taking it easy or are they better suited to full on (leg burning) speed all the time?
same answer as the previous poster. If you push hard, your legs will burn. If you back off, it's not bad. But do consider it takes a good amount of time to get used to these types of boards.

enjoy!

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:14 pm

ok here my 2cents
I own an Airush Sector 60 I have 80kg.
The board is a Freeride raceboard, which is easier to handle but do not underestimate the good qualities, I tell you , you will not win pro races with it, and to remind you , winning races is not only the board,but also the guy the kite ...skills and experience.

But as I read that you just want it to free/ride/ race and from time to time acces a competition, why making life difficult you will be better off with an easier board to handle in all conditions.

I had it last year and now I have the new one..I use the board with a zephyr and a Ozone C4 12 m on it and it is fun, I use it mostly for touring in lightwind and it is fun!

Do not concentrate to much on the real raceboards unless you really want to acces racing..

Try to test some of them but do not forget to test the Airush Sector 60 for lightwind/ or heavier kiters or the Sector 52 for higher wind or lighter kiters

Cheers
Frank

twex
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Curracloe, Duncannon, Tramore
Style: Course Racing, Free Style
Gear: UGD Race, FLX & Freewave & a 9 year old Starboard Directional to keep it old School Ion3 kites for now

Postby twex » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Has anyone looked at the 2011 Underground Race?

I'm looking for a competitive Race board & have been looking at the Aguera C59 because of its reputation and because of the 3 or 4 fin set up option. But if its going to take more tweaking to get it going I might shy away due to my lack of experience in tailoring fins.

I'm told the 2011 Underground Race was designed by Mike Zajicek of Mike's Labs and Chip Wasson. Is this board similar to the board to the one Chip won the 2010 Sanfrancisco series on?

I'd also be curious to know if this production board also requires fin tweaking. Or is there such thing as a out of the box ready to rock production board?

Regards,
Tom

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Craig
yes there are Naish boards in the UK a few people have them including Alex therep so you could get a demo.
North boards are most popular in Uk race series.
I have ridden most of the boards you say, not flysurf but beware that a lot of how a board rides is your personal set up.
a couple of guys got the CR59s last year thinking they would kick ass and came last and 2nd to last at poole and one of them came 1st at watergate so it for sure is not a case of just getting a fast board, you have to practise, practise and practise some more.
for your 1st board I wouldnt worry too much about fins just buy one and get use to sailing it then come to watergate for the first round start april, see how you go, then practise some more.
I will be on tris again this year and hopefully will get them dialed in for all wind strengths before the worlds.
tris seem to depend more on having the right amount of power and fin size for the given wind where as on a quad once you get a set of fins that work for you, they seem to work in a bigger range.
the difference is though that tris ride easier downwind but still need to practise to be near the front of the fleet.
looking forward to more people on the uk race scene tis year.
see ya at the gate
lee

craigT
Rare Poster

Postby craigT » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 pm

A big thank you to everyone for all your advice, I haven’t made a decision on what board to go for yet but I’m learning more about them and as suggested I should probably just pick one, get some practice in on the water, and have some fun. I haven’t seen any raceboards up here in the North East so it’s all internet searching at the minute.

I’ve got a FS question for Gunnar if you don’t mind…do you use the 19, 15 and 12m Speed 3’s when you are racing or is the 15 your biggest kite? I was just thinking if I go down a kite size when I change from a TT to a directional would the 15/12m cover most days on a big raceboard? (I’m thinking of changing my 19m I usually ride with the flydoor for a 15m and using the 15 and my 12 to ride with the raceboard)

Thanks again

Lee, entering a race sounds terrifying at the minute! I’ll have to have loads of sick days off work practicing before I come down and challenge for last place or fastest ever DNF!…btw you’re name makes me hungry :D

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 pm

twex wrote:Has anyone looked at the 2011 Underground Race?

I'm looking for a competitive Race board & have been looking at the Aguera C59 because of its reputation and because of the 3 or 4 fin set up option. But if its going to take more tweaking to get it going I might shy away due to my lack of experience in tailoring fins.

I'm told the 2011 Underground Race was designed by Mike Zajicek of Mike's Labs and Chip Wasson. Is this board similar to the board to the one Chip won the 2010 Sanfrancisco series on?

I'd also be curious to know if this production board also requires fin tweaking. Or is there such thing as a out of the box ready to rock production board?

Regards,
Tom
I have seen one production UDG , I can tell you this board is ready to race,
very impresive fins and light board

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:14 am

craigT wrote:
I’ve got a FS question for Gunnar if you don’t mind…do you use the 19, 15 and 12m Speed 3’s when you are racing or is the 15 your biggest kite? I was just thinking if I go down a kite size when I change from a TT to a directional would the 15/12m cover most days on a big raceboard? (I’m thinking of changing my 19m I usually ride with the flydoor for a 15m and using the 15 and my 12 to ride with the raceboard)

Thanks again
My biggest kite is the 19m2 deluxe Speed 3. I have had some of my best international results thanks to having a bigger kite and shorter lines in light winds.

The 15 will cover most days on a raceboard if you are not really aiming for sub 8 knot blasting.

Keep the 19. A 19/12 combo gives you a far greater range than a 15/12 combo.

--
Gunnar

craigT
Rare Poster

Postby craigT » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”