Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

GoPro Video shot from kite & kiter - Bimini Mangrove Session

Postby RickI » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Kent Marinkovic took a boat load of us into the mangrove backcountry for some flat water kiting along the east end of North Bimini. This was during the Pryde Group Dealers Conference on the island.

Bimini a few years back.

The idea was to do some ripping in a natural, little visited area complete with rays, sharks, you name it. The wind had been fairly honking back at the Bimini Bay Beach Club at the southern tip of South Bimini. We thought it would likely be doing the same in the mangroves. In reality it was a bit lighter perhaps due to land sheer and easing of the wind later in the day.

We were just to the northeast of the "Healing Hole."

A bunch of people came including Kent at the helm, Damien Leroy, Aaron Sales, Mike Minichiello, Josh Noe, Dan Floyd, Ben Holmquist, a young ripper and a long time kiter from Turks & Caicos. If someone could help my failing memory out with the names of these later two I would appreciate it!

I mounted a GoPro HD on the kite and another in a chest harness I wore. I interchanged images from each in the following video. It was a blast chasing each other through the mangroves and flats, later on to the open flats south of the island. It was real shallow among the mangroves. You would hit this worm sand mounds and needed to ease back to allow you to maintain balance if you struck one particularly hard.

Anyway, here's the video ...

Big thanks to Kent and the Pryde Group for creating such a great event!

Last edited by RickI on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

shawntkeating
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Video from kite & kiter - Bimini Mangrove Session

Postby shawntkeating » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Like the old looking map. Looks like it was a nice time. Thanks for the video.
:thumb:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Video from kite & kiter - Bimini Mangrove Session

Postby RickI » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 am

It is an interesting sketch chart. At one time that was about all that existed for many of the out islands of the Bahamas and not so long ago either. I have one from the 1800's that shows off the Bahamas well. I will find it. It was a good time although the wind eased a bit in the mangroves. I didn't show all the sining just the more powered parts! Still a bit more to come from the trip. Way too many images!
shawntkeating wrote:Like the old looking map. Looks like it was a nice time. Thanks for the video.
:thumb:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Re: GoPro Video shot from kite & kiter - Bimini Mangrove Ses

Postby RickI » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:16 pm

The chart is in a write up on a kite location in the Western Bahamas not so far from Florida

HERE

Return to “Kitesurfing”