Barbados, where to stay to kite at the hotel

Forum for kitesurfers
Kite-Essence
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Barbados, where to stay to kite at the hotel

Postby Kite-Essence » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 am

Hi, I am planning a trip there end of march with my girlfriend and our daughter, I would like to kita at my hotel in a decent and safe spot...

Thanks

D.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Barbados, where to stay to kite at the hotel

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 am

Silver Sands/Silver Rock is probably your only option if you want to be able to kite straight from the hotel. I heard that the Silver Sands Resort had shut down though. Silver Rock Hotel is definitely worth a look.

There are other kiteable beaches further towards Oistins and Bridgetown - there's more of a selection of hotels (and easier access to restaurants/nightlife), but the wind will be sketchy/offshore. It's quite rare to see kites anywhere other than Silver Sands/Rock or Long Beach (which has a "lively" shore break and no hotels or other facilities - not great for the family).

HTH.

islandbound
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mille Lacs
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, St Lucia - 2 Elements and the Reef, Barbados, Bonaire, Keywest Flats - Smathers beach. Bonaire
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades and Nomads. 2011-2012. Cabrinha Caliber, Custom, Plasma. Jimmy Lewis Mod3 and Super Mod, Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Local Minnesota shop - Cabrinha Rider

Postby islandbound » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:26 pm

There are many house/apartment options in the area, some come with locals watching out for your best interest. We have stayed next to Surfers bar in a house that had a very nice local man that watched over us. Barbados in general is a very safe island, the locals are proud people. Of course there are desperate people on the island that you wont want to leave valuable items unprotected. If you check with Redeye or surfers bar they can get you in touch with Mark who represents a number of rentals. If your looking for a hotel I believe Silver Sands is still shut down but the silver Rock hotel looks nice (expensive). Enjoy your stay - Surfers Bar is worth a visit as the meals are very good, they only serve one Entre but it switches every night. Barbados is definatly one of my favorite places due to the culture, the people and the great surf!

tonyh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount, Dublin.
Gear: *

Postby tonyh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Kite-Essence wrote:Hi, I am planning a trip there end of march with my girlfriend and our daughter, I would like to kita at my hotel in a decent and safe spot...

Thanks

D.
Worth checking out Inchcape Seaside Villas, right on the spot close to Silver Sands, haven't stayed there but a friend has and highly recommends, they have a range of accom from full house to apartments.
http://www.inchcape.net/home/
As Islandbound and Mr Weetabix said Silver Rock worth checking out but is expensive...
This kite-essence Dublin based? gimme a call if you want more info
If Silver Sands is open, ask for the DeLux (sea view???) apartments, they're the ones to the left of reception as you're facing reception they're more modern than the Garden apts.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 am

If you don't mind cooking some of your meals then I recommend renting a house from Steve (Surfer's bar) reg@sunbeach.net We got a 3 bedroom house on the ocean two doors down from the Surfer's bar. It was far less then staying at a hotel. It was a 3 min walk along the ocean to Silver Sands. We had our own secluded 'private' beach by Surfers. We ate most of our dinners there as the food was good.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 am

I think everyone's thinking of silver point hotel http://www.silverpointhotel.com/index.html

very nice, on kitebeach, and very expensive. kid friendly except the occasional drug dealer at the beach but they'll mostly approach people who look like they want some (apparently me!) and will leave families alone. barbados can feel sketchy but after a while there i felt it was just people selling vs. true danger. other than dealers, locals are awesome.

silver sands is closed.

there are many nice hotels in that area in all price ranges. google for the christs church area. there was a really nice place about a mile west of silver rock at a fraction of the price and nanny included but sorry i forgot the name! and dirt cheap apartments right across from silver sands.

you can also stay farther north - any where up to about miami beach is an easy drive. bridgetown will be nasty traffic and you'll regret it.

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA

Postby robg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Check http://www.barbados4u.com Click on the English flag unless you speak Italian!
The site is run by Mark Batson. You can also call him at 246-428-4088.

Mark has been a friend of mine for over 20 years. He lives at Silver Sands and has been helping surfers, windsurfers, and now kiters since the early 90's. He manages a bunch of apartments and villas and can get you a rental car.

Rob

Return to “Kitesurfing”