Ria de Esposende, Portugal
Style: cruising
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Diablo 2007
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite School in Cabarete?

Postby deutronomio » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Can anyone recommend a Kite School in Cabarete (Dominican Republic)?

Smeer
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete

Re: Kite School in Cabarete?

Postby Smeer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:10 pm

If I were you I would take couple lessons then just do supervision, Its way less money and you get to practice alot. Actually instructors in cabarete doesnt help really much from a personal experience and I might be wrong. Its all about practice at the end.
Also Cabarete is not a very good place to learn, I took my first lessons there and wish someone had told me that, Its not so bad but its not good either (lots of pros kiting around, water is chopy..etc)

Hope that helps,

backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best

Postby backcountry » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:03 am

Seeing that noone will give you a positive reply-here goes. My family and I were there in 2007 and took lessons at kiteexcite. At that time Stefan was the owner and we received great lessons and instruction from him. I think Richard is now the manager and he is a great kid. My wife and three daughters all took lessons and really enjoyed it.

I am not sure what level you are at, however it is very crowded and it is very choppy. However, the wind blows and the water is very warm and the beer is very cold. I was at the level where I had a "supervised" lesson and just rode out to the break and stayed away from the crowds.

Is it the best place in the world to take a lesson, probably not, but it is a great atmosphere and I would go back again if I had to do it over again.

Kiteexcite at that time used radios and that helped my family out a lot.

Hope this helps and enjoy!

paulkit
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kite beach cabarete
Style: beginner

Postby paulkit » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 am

Richard is not working for kitexcite anymore he has his own kite school, i was in cabarete in January and i took lesson in his school actually his was my instructor he is awesome. this is his website http://www.gokitecabarete.com

They have great kite packages plus they have radio helmet and at the end of your course they give you some supervision for free!

Kite beach in cabarete is one of the best place to learn kiteboarding because of the consistent wind !
i hope this answer helps you!

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 pm

I learnt some years ago with Richard at Kitexcite. The radio helmet was very good and really helped me to progress.

Many of the schools were just too laid back and could barely bring themselves to speak when you enquired, there's chilled and there's who gives a ****!
I chose kitexcite because of the radios and they were very good when I approached them.

I hear some do deep water lessons from a boat, which may be good as it is busy out there on the beach.

Avoid skyriders, they took our money and didn't return it, although they promised to do so. I'll be back one day to settle that score.

I second the point about supervision once you are up and going, more cost effective and gives you the confidence.

Kev

Return to “Kitesurfing”