Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Global vs Slingshot Verve

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Trying to decide between 2010 Naish Custom Global 6'0" and the 2010 Slingshot Verve 6'0"

I'm 6'0 around 210lbs.

I figure the verve will be a little better in the light wind, the global a little better when the breeze picks up.

How do they stack up in terms of durability and weight? I know they both are on the heavier side but i'd really rather not put a foot through the board.

Does anybody else have exact figures on the weight of these boards?

Naish FCS Fins ++replaceability - - durability(FCS will break out - could even cause serious board damage)

Slingshot Mini-Tuttle Fins -- replaceability(mini tuttle fins are impossible to find but i can pot my own if need be) ++ durability(mini tuttle is absolutely and completely BOMB PROOF)

I've got a chance to put my hands on the global, can't say the same for the verve. How does build quality stack up?

Thanks for the help,
-Nick

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Global VS Slingshot Verve

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:10 pm

The global is solid. I've put mine through hell..on my way back now, and the boards are fine.

6'0'' global is definitely a ripper :-) Is there any specific reason you didn't put the 6'2'' on your list?

To get fin damage on the board, you have to hit pretty hard, but then it is just to take 5 mins epoxy and get back in the water.

The place is get dings is usually out of the water, but the global comes with a bag.

I pretty much constantly grind on my boards and most of the time it is just grinding on the fins with no particular damage to the board..

I don't know too much about the verve.

demo243
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rhode Island/Connecticut/New Jersey

Postby demo243 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Cant really answer too many of your questions...

But I just picked up a 5'8" Naish Custom Fish yesterday. Overall seems pretty awesome. Feels like it will be pretty tough and looks like its gonna be a fun board. It has miny tuttle fins btw... but supposedly you can use fcs as replacements in a pinch or if you want to try a different fin set up.

Dont have anytime on the board yet, but hopefully soon. I went with the fish to have a little better lightwind performance and for the reason that I mostly ride nasty mushy onshore junk. Super excited to try it out.

If you have any specific questions I can try and answer them for you, but nothing on the ride yet.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 pm

My advice is to stay away from SS Verve !.
I bought 6,2" Verve from 2010 and like you,i was in doubt between SS and Naish Fish.I can't regret it more from my decission..... :angryfire:
I wanna say the board has a pretty sexy outline and sizes,and very good quality hardware (fins and pads),straps are shit .
Apart from breaking the rail in my first session -a big slice from front strap to nose in the overlap of bottom and deck layers-,WITHOUT jumping or forcing the board too much. :evil:
The board foil or volume distribuition, it's completetly wrong IMHO,way too much thickness at the tail combined with the lack of hard rails ( it has almost down rails all along the outline )and an idiotic mega wide stance . All this delivers on making a strapped ,fast,powered bottom turn almost impossible.... :wink: .It tends to skip or not holding,the moment you lay a bit more or put more pressure on rail ,without advice.
Awsome, if you think they were so proud of having the best wave rider ever in their team ... :roll:
Maybe it works for strapless,mellow turns,light winds,etc... but for sure not for strapped.
For 2011 they made minor changes of colour scheme and fin setup,but i'm pretty sure it's the same board ,seems SS can't get rid of 2010 stock ! :rollgrin:
Last edited by mikelet on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Well very interesting. 2010 Verve 6'2" is the best board i have ever owned. I beat the living hell out of mine so far and no problems and now actually starting to baby it a bit since i wont be able to get another one if anything (touch wood) would ever happen to this board.

I could see if you were just a little guy this could be too much board for you and by no means was the board intended to be a guys high wind huge wave strapped board but the question here is vs. the Naish fish which falls into the same category.

Get your Rally car of the autobahn and keep your Formula 1 car of the dirt track. both amazing in their own.

Sorry haven't used the Naish I am sure it's a good board too.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:30 pm

demo243 wrote:Cant really answer too many of your questions...

But I just picked up a 5'8" Naish Custom Fish yesterday. Overall seems pretty awesome. Feels like it will be pretty tough and looks like its gonna be a fun board. It has miny tuttle fins btw... but supposedly you can use fcs as replacements in a pinch or if you want to try a different fin set up.

Dont have anytime on the board yet, but hopefully soon. I went with the fish to have a little better lightwind performance and for the reason that I mostly ride nasty mushy onshore junk. Super excited to try it out.

If you have any specific questions I can try and answer them for you, but nothing on the ride yet.

the 5'8'' is my all time favorite these days (along with the 6'2''), it is just such a fun fast board. The stuff I have landed on that board, I am actually surprised it is still in one piece. With the channels it digs in, even in bigger waves.

http://www.naishkites.com/2011/en/board ... -fish.html

I mean in ultra choppy conditions, other boards are very good, but the spot I ride the most..that is definitely the board...but in mushy waves...even clean pitchy waves up to well overhead...just don't be afraid to dig in the fins will dig in :-)

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 pm

ahh wait question is not about naish fish vs. Verve. Yeah these 2 board fall into different catagories i guess the rider needs to decide what he wants.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:14 am

stefaans wrote:ahh wait question is not about naish fish vs. Verve. Yeah these 2 board fall into different catagories i guess the rider needs to decide what he wants.
haha true.

demo243
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rhode Island/Connecticut/New Jersey

Postby demo243 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:23 am

I have to say there were a few things that annoyed me about the naish, esspecially at its $900 US retail price.

The holes in the pads were not cut completely correct... ie they didnt match up with the mount holes in the board. Also the screws to hold the straps on appear that they just go into holes in the board and not metal inserts (like on my crazyfly TT or a snowboard). The straps were also very stiff which made mounting them a pain... but they do seem like once they are broken in they will be really comfy. Overall setting up the board took me close to an hour... although the 3-4 beers may not have helped that...

Had I payed 900 for the board I probably would be a little upset... but I was able to score a deal on it which definitely helped.

Also... all this is based off of initial observation and no riding time... well see once I get out on the board. Overall I am really excited to ride the board as it seems like it will be really fun to ride... praying for wind... and if there is no wind I might even rip the straps off and try and paddle surf it (its not that much smaller then my short board...)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:01 am

demo243 wrote:I have to say there were a few things that annoyed me about the naish, esspecially at its $900 US retail price.

The holes in the pads were not cut completely correct... ie they didnt match up with the mount holes in the board. Also the screws to hold the straps on appear that they just go into holes in the board and not metal inserts (like on my crazyfly TT or a snowboard). The straps were also very stiff which made mounting them a pain... but they do seem like once they are broken in they will be really comfy. Overall setting up the board took me close to an hour... although the 3-4 beers may not have helped that...

Had I payed 900 for the board I probably would be a little upset... but I was able to score a deal on it which definitely helped.

Also... all this is based off of initial observation and no riding time... well see once I get out on the board. Overall I am really excited to ride the board as it seems like it will be really fun to ride... praying for wind... and if there is no wind I might even rip the straps off and try and paddle surf it (its not that much smaller then my short board...)

Though I love setting up boards, sounds weird the the holes, I think mine fit exactly. The straps got a lot softer the past few years, what I do is open them up, bend them a little, and then screw them to the board. Seems to work fine for my boards. I can set up a board in about 15 mins..including glueing, footstraps, and fins...but having a beer with it is awesome...

Return to “Kitesurfing”