Gear: Switchblade custom 5'10
Switchblade custom 5'7 Punt

Peter Lynn POS
Brand Affiliation: Switchblade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bindings with my blunt?

Postby TuckerM » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:12 am

I ride a Wainmann Hawaii blunt 2/135 and am wondering if there are any kite specific boots besides LF out on the market right now
and if a kite specific boot makes any difference to wake board bindings
has anyone rode the Blunt with boots yet/reviews?
thx Tucker :D

Chooch
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Chapin Beach, Cape Cod MA
West Dennis Inlet, Cape Cod MA
Puclaro, Chile
Anywhere in the Gorge or Oregon Coast
Style: Wakestyle/Strapless Surf Skim Wakeskate

Re: Bindings with my blunt?

Postby Chooch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:26 am

Hey Tucker, I have not been on the blunt with boots (only on straps). But I have to say it's not really a board shaped for boots (doesn't mean it won't work). The Joke is the board you want to be riding boots with. It has beefed up inserts, big rocker for soft landings, thicker rails for edging hard, 3D molded channels for finless riding, and is stiffer between the feet for better pop. I have been riding the Joke for the past 8 months and have to say its one of the best boot boards I have ridden behind a kite, and it still rides great for with straps if you want to switch between the two. All wakeboard bindings will fit on the Joke and Blunt 2, the industry has standardized the insert spacing for compatability.

As for Bindings I would look into any Ronix or LF boots. I like the fit/comfort of the Ronix better but both are solid boots. No need to get anything kite specific, they all work great. Just need to know if you want a stiff, medium, or soft flex boot.

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:01 am

The Slingshot Options are a sick binding for kiting. Super easy to get in and out of with the velcro.

Thicker rails for edging hard and stiffer between the feet for better pop? :lol: :lol: :lol: Thinner rails let you hold more edge and stiffer tips give you more pop. So compared to the Blunt you will experience less edging, pop, and upwind ability. But I agree, the Joke is a better choice for bindings since it is stronger.

Erlend M B
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Sideshore.no (Wainman Hawaii, Nobile, Crazy Fly)

Postby Erlend M B » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 am

The top deck of the blunt 1 was curved, the top deck follows the concave of the bottom. I think the blunt 2 is curved to..? That makes the binding rock back and forth, and you'll eventually rip the inserts. As for bindings, there is no need to go for overpriced kitespeciffic bindings. Ordinary wakebindings works just as well.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

E^Ri wrote:The Slingshot Options are a sick binding for kiting. Super easy to get in and out of with the velcro.

Thicker rails for edging hard and stiffer between the feet for better pop? :lol: :lol: :lol: Thinner rails let you hold more edge and stiffer tips give you more pop. So compared to the Blunt you will experience less edging, pop, and upwind ability. But I agree, the Joke is a better choice for bindings since it is stronger.
Thicker, but more importantly a rounder rail will suck into the water and give way more edging power than a thin or sharp edge rail. Round rail = suction and grip, sharp rail = release. Have a look at a surfboard, basic stuff. The stiff center will keep its rocker with the load boots let you develop so again sounds like better rocker/pop with boots on the Joke. Flexy boards flatten out when really loaded up. No rocker, no joy with boots.

sckite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Charleston area (Folly beach, IOP, Sullivan's Island, Bull Island, Caper's Island)
Gear: 2010 Nomad 9m, Switchblade 10m, 140 custom w/ Ronix kai
Brand Affiliation: Oli Nah

Postby sckite » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:08 am

I ride the 2011 Custom with Ronix boots. Ronix boots are absolutely incredible (ultra light weight and the J bar makes them very snug and secure) and can easily be put on a kiteboard. As far as ronix for kiteboards I would go with the Kai, Relik, One, or Cells depending on how stiff you want the boot.

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:11 am

Starsky wrote:
E^Ri wrote:The Slingshot Options are a sick binding for kiting. Super easy to get in and out of with the velcro.

Thicker, but more importantly a rounder rail will suck into the water and give way more edging power than a thin or sharp edge rail. Round rail = suction and grip, sharp rail = release. Have a look at a surfboard, basic stuff.
:roll: Are you saying that you can hold more power with a surfboard than with a Blunt? According to your logic you would be able to edge a SUP better than a shortboard. Have you ever even ridden with the most power you can hold down? You would lose your edge on a surfboard way before a sharp railed board.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:01 am

E^Ri wrote:
:roll: Are you saying that you can hold more power with a surfboard than with a Blunt? According to your logic you would be able to edge a SUP better than a shortboard. Have you ever even ridden with the most power you can hold down? You would lose your edge on a surfboard way before a sharp railed board.
Of course Im not saying that! Lets not be retarded and maybe stick to comparing boards of roughly the same dimensions! I said look at a surfboard for an understanding of rail design,,, as in soft rails for the first two thirds of the board so that it can grip when that part of the board is engaged, transitioning to sharper release near the tail where you ride when at speed. Once again, Basic stuff. Why should a TT be any different, soft rail in the middle transitioning to the tips, and full sharp on the ends.

Yes I absolutely can hold more power with a full rail than any sharp release thin railed board. Not three inches thick! but normal kiteboard thick. No question. Much more fun to ride and carve cause it doesn't skip out on you mid carve like so many crappy sharp railed planks out there. If your board has sharp rails between your feet... its not going to carve or edge out power as well as THE SAME SIZE board with soft rails. Your comparing two twin tips in the post, not apples and oranges.

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Starsky wrote:
E^Ri wrote:
Of course Im not saying that! Lets not be retarded and maybe stick to comparing boards of roughly the same dimensions! I said look at a surfboard for an understanding of rail design,,, as in soft rails for the first two thirds of the board so that it can grip when that part of the board is engaged, transitioning to sharper release near the tail where you ride when at speed. Once again, Basic stuff. Why should a TT be any different, soft rail in the middle transitioning to the tips, and full sharp on the ends.

Yes I absolutely can hold more power with a full rail than any sharp release thin railed board. Not three inches thick! but normal kiteboard thick. No question. Much more fun to ride and carve cause it doesn't skip out on you mid carve like so many crappy sharp railed planks out there. If your board has sharp rails between your feet... its not going to carve or edge out power as well as THE SAME SIZE board with soft rails. Your comparing two twin tips in the post, not apples and oranges.
I'm not even going to debate with someone so disrespectful. You're wrong and that's that

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Toughen up!
E^Ri wrote: :roll: Are you saying that you can hold more power with a surfboard than with a Blunt?
Nope, you said that, and your proposal of a SUP is pretty obviously more than a bit silly. Brings into play size for one, boyancy for another. Were talking about a Twintip and boots. Your claim shows little understanding of how a rail works so I brought up a surfboard as reference to the rather simple concept. No need to get yourself all in a huff. I'll show you some respect when you can explain your points.

FYI

Water flows over the bottom of the board and comes to the rail. If that rail is a sharp corner, it functions as a release point and there is less board grip when compared to the suction created when water meets a rounded contour and flows around it. Simple fact. Don't understand it? Not my problem.

If what you want is pure efficiency and early planing in a large low wind twintip. Sharp rails all the way round. If you want a board that carves well, pops well, and suits riding in boots then stifness, rocker and rail come into it.

Talk to any shaper.

Return to “Kitesurfing”