Liquid Force Twinskim vs ???

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Liquid Force Twinskim vs ???

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:26 am

Anybody had any recent experience on the LF Twinskim, Shinn Waterbird, Surftech Roush Skims, Airush Skim, Jellyfish Kiteskate or any other really cool lightwind finless strapless wonders???

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Liquid Force Twinskim vs ???

Postby grantman54 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:31 am

Have you considered the LF Kite Fish? Wonders in light wind. My only complaint would be that it is extremely heavy.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 am

Yes I have,.... but a finless bidirectional strapless board is what I'm after.
I have heard great things about the Kitefish but a Celeritas would be the choice for a directional, in my opinion.
So I'm curious to hear feedback from people who love their skimboards.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:07 am

Well it is finless in the same way the rousch board is finless. Just so you know it though, the skim boards are not bi-directional. Sure you ride it backwards, but they definitely have a preferred way.

..but fins can be taken off...

I'm not the worlds biggest skim fan. I haven't really put in the time though. I can see having a cruising day in ankle snappers...but for me that is about it.

There is just no way you can compare the skim fish to a regular directional. I'd say the skim fish is way more similar to a regular skimboard than a surfboard.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:19 am

I'm not asking about the LF Kite Fish, which is a directional.
I'm asking about twintip skim boards like the Liquid Force Twin Skim, Shinn Waterbird, Jellyfish Kiteskate and so on.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:04 am

Oldnbroken wrote:I'm not asking about the LF Kite Fish, which is a directional.
I'm asking about twintip skim boards like the Liquid Force Twin Skim, Shinn Waterbird, Jellyfish Kiteskate and so on.
ok well you put the Rousch boards in there too, which are mostly directional and some have fins too...

cometix
Rare Poster

Postby cometix » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 am

I understand you are after a twin type skim, but if you're willing to fool around with shutits or jibes, a regular skim is just as good as a kite branded skim: Zap, Victoria, Exile, etc all make skims that fit kiting perfectly and cheaper (around $250). I have been using my Zap Pro Medium for 2 years now and it's just as fun as my old Nobile: actually with a more skimmy feel but less low end.

But if what you are after is a twin type skim, then I guess you want to go with the kite brands.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Taut, I'm with ya there, and I think Roush makes some good kite specific skims.
I think Roush has worked with a couple good kite skimmers and has learned how to make good skims for kiters. I have also heard great things about the the LF KiteFish.
I am just looking for something that goes both ways the same like a wakeskate but has the larger surface area for lightwind riding. Most wakeskates need more power than a skim. I like the idea of a wakeskate twintip style but no fins and more surface area for light wind. That is what is on this list.
Not hearing any feedback from people riding the boards I listed. Hmmmmmmm.

adamrod
Frequent Poster

Postby adamrod » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 pm

tons of people ride the twinskim. they're nearly impossible for lf to keep in stock.

it's a sick board. It's worth its weight in gold. ridiculously good low end, lots of fun in flat water and small waves. ollies and shuvits and grabs are tons of fun in light wind. if my 11m will stay in the air, i can go upwind on that thing.

given the price, it's such a great way to extend your light wind potential. it's a lot cheaper than the other kite skims out there, but sure, you can get cheaper normal skimboard skims...

it is pretty different than a normal skimboard skim. normal skimboards have more rocker (which make them a bit better in waves, but quite a bit less low end) and the twinskim is heavier than a normal skim. this is a good thing. you want it to be heavy for the more wakeskate style tricks, and the extra weight helps in chop too.

if you've never ridden a skimboard, it does take some practice. so give it a few sessions so you can get dialed on it.

I personally like it better than the kitefish, as it's more fun on flat water and in chop, and has better low end than the kitefish. plus, the twinskim fits in my car more easily! get one. you won't be disappointed. i let people borrow mine all the time, and their first question is always "where can i get one?" sadly, most of the stores I know are sold out of them for that reason.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Better low end than the KiteFish?....why?....no fins?
Have you tested out on the Shinn Waterbird, Airush Skim (which looks like the KiteFish), Jellyfish Wakeskate thing or the Surtech Roush Skim?
I believe the LF Twinskim is the best out there right now, I was curious about the rest.
My plan is to grab one next trip to Corpus Christi.

Return to “Kitesurfing”