Forum for kitesurfers
kwalsh
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Directional Board Size advice needed

Postby kwalsh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:22 pm

I am 6'2" and weigh 220. I have been riding a twin tip - wakeboard style board and would like to get into a directional. I consider myself to be a good rider and have decent skills. I need to know how long and how wide it should be. Model suggestions would appreciated. Thanks!

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Directional Board Size advice needed

Postby borist » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:29 am

Depends on stregth of the wind you will be riding while learning.
I'd recommend light to medium wind, enough that you can use the kite to ballance yourself but not too much so you're not being pulled off the board. Flat water.
Go for wider - 19" or even more, board with flatter rocker, like fish surfboard. Narrower boards will be unstable and hard to learn jibes on.
Excellent board to learn on is Airush Sector 60. It is 60cm - 23.5" wide with flat rocker. Good floatation, very stable platform and also an excellent light wind board.
Straps will be helpful for water starts, but might be getting in your way when learning to jibe.
Make a real commitment to learn. Most people struggle with directionals because they are not willing to spend enough time on it. When they get frustrated, they switch to TT. You have to pay your dues. Never go for "it is not the right day for learning" excuse. I see it all the time. Leave TT at home. After short struggle it will get good and tons of fun.

Good luck

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Style: strapless

Postby screwfootsc » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:36 am

If you want a true shape with real surf characteristics check into the FireWire boards. The boards are literally bombproof after a good amount of trial and error. They got some insane light wind machines that out perform many if not mostly all other pop outs on the kite market.

kwalsh
Rare Poster

Postby kwalsh » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks for the tips, I will be riding in Cape Hatteras and the Columbia River Gorge - so I will have some decent wind - let me know is that changes anything.

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm

IMO not lessthan 6.0 on 20.
Good luck,
E.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 am

kwalsh wrote:Thanks for the tips, I will be riding in Cape Hatteras and the Columbia River Gorge - so I will have some decent wind - let me know is that changes anything.
I guess you are not a good candidate for Sector 60. I still recommend to look for flat water spot to learn transitions.
As for a board, take a look at Underground Kipuna (or Freewave as it was called). It has little volume and is thin in the middle, which gives it a feel similar to TT. It is basically indestructible, so you can look around for a used one and know it is likely to be OK. It has full deck padding and it is easily ride-able with or without the straps. A friend of a similar weight uses 5'-8" version as a medium to heavy wind. I bought a well worn one (5'-8") and used it in 12kts to 30kts winds.
I tried one FireWire board, found it very snappy (as a good thing), but I'm no longer quick enough to take advantage of it, so I prefer UG Freewave's smoother ride.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:45 am

I really think it depends on how you like to ride..if like powered, slashy jumping style go way smaller...a lot of guys like the 5'4'' naish global for that type riding...days when I go lit up I ride the 5'10'' gun..killer fun board. handles massive power and high speed, but isn't as slashy as the 5'4'' or 5'7'', but it has a ton of control.....if you are looking to surf with it go with the 6'2'' global..it'll still give you the option to ride powered.., if you really want to go surfing and your waves are a little mushier the 6'0'' fish.

Return to “Kitesurfing”