Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RRD Vision

Forum for kitesurfers
billybob
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

RRD Vision

Postby billybob » Mon May 02, 2011 10:49 pm

I've read three magazine reviews, all good. They should be released by now. Any comments from forum members? I'm looking for comparison with Epic Renegade which has a ton of good reviews. I've been on RRD Obsessions for the past few years, but I'm looking for something more all around as I mostly ride surfboard now. Maybe it's too early, but I haven't heard much except for the mag reviews. No chance of trying before I buy.

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Re: RRD Vision

Postby Dr_Rosen » Tue May 03, 2011 8:05 am

Don't you find Obsession being all-round ??

billybob
Rare Poster

Postby billybob » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Obsessions are awesome kites, just looking for something more wave-oriented. RRD is promoting this kite as being in between Obsession and Religion. I'll probably just go for it, just looking for some opinions from owner/demo riders. You don't hear alot about RRD on here, but I guarantee that if you ask anyone that rides them, you will hear nothing but good things.

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Tue May 03, 2011 7:07 pm

I agree with that, and I find it a good allround kite. Had both the 2009 and 2010's.
But for surf board the Vision should have the advantage from what I read.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Tue May 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Tried a 10.5 vision yesterday for about an hour on my lunch break in 15-20 knot wind on my twin. Super smooth flying kite, really liked it. Very nice feeling on the bar. I think they dialed this one in exactly right, and matches the "do it all --all terrain all rider" marketing well. Couldn't make it fall out of the sky despite trying. Requires a bit more bar input to get it into the turn than the religion (so easier for freestyle as more forgiving), but comes through the turns nice and fast with good bar input. Certainly a better jumper than the religions. A little less aggressive than the obsession in the jumps and loops, but good enough for me and way better downwind drift. nice unhooked feel. looking forward to trying it in the waves on a surfboard. feels like it should be good.

I will definitely ride these in larger sizes this year and probably stick with the religions for small sizes and bigger waves

billybob
Rare Poster

Postby billybob » Wed May 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanx for the review Peter. Your thoughts fall right in line with the mag reviews. There are alot of "all-round" kites to choose from this year, but I'm partial to RRD. Good price on the Visions also. Was thinking about going with either Vision, Renegade, Catalyst or the new Swich Method. Waiting for reviews and pricing on the Switch. Seeya Bill

zamo27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dolymounth
Favorite Beaches: porthmarnock
Style: beginner
Gear: rrd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zamo27 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Sorry for being off topic but you guys seem to know RRD so you might be the right bunch of people to help me!
I have an RRD Hyper type 7m 2007 and a Hyper Type2 10.5 m 2008.

I need to know if i can use the 2007 bar on the hyper type 2 2008 because the 07 bar is 27m lines and the 08 is only 25m

Is it better to fly an 2007 hyper type 7m on 27m lines with the 07 bar or 2008 global bar and 25m lines??

Thank everyone especially those who will reply and help :thumb:

billybob
Rare Poster

Postby billybob » Thu May 19, 2011 4:01 pm

I had the 1st year HyperTypes, fast and powerful, but would tend to fall from the sky in lighter winds if you neglected to "fly" them. I can't imagine 2 meter .line length making much of a difference. Never used an RRD bar with them, I think I had 27' for the 15 and 12 in lighter winds and 23' for powered up, I never flew the smaller sizes. Shorter lines feel better to me, just make sure line lengths equal or front lines a bit shorter.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Ptray,

So if you were going to get a 6-7m2 kite for allround and waves on surfboard you would go for Religion over Vision?

I have an Obession 9 that i´m very happy with.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Fri May 20, 2011 3:07 am

I have not flown a small vision,only a 10.5, but fly both the 6 and 7 religions a good amount. For wave use I would probably go for the religion in these small sizes as it has really heavy duty construction with lots of extra dacron panels. the dacron makes it both strong and easy to repair. For the bigger sizes the light construction of the vision probably makes a significant difference in flying better. As far as the difference in feel goes, the religion has light bar pressure and in those small sizes can be turned with minimal pressure and if you crank the bar the kite will pivot on itself...great for kite powered wave riding, but a bit tricky for jumping/freestyle. the vision would probably be better jumper as less likely to get turned in the wrong direction in the air. In the 10 m size the vision takes a bit more input to get the turning going than th e10m religion but then turns nice and quick... if you want a small kite that maybe isn't quite so quick as the religion to get into a turn then vision might be right. I like really reactive small kites so the religion is good for me. Also in the bigger size the vision seems more resistant to stall if you oversheet a bit. this is really good for light wind wave riding. When powered the religion can be forced into nice controlled stall and then turned deep in window which can be useful for wave riding in some situations.

So probably if you are really going to push it in the waves and drop it in the surf sometimes go for the religion, but if you want more of an all-around ride with easier jumping go with the vision.

Return to “Kitesurfing”