Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer flywave anyone ? Flywave vs. Shinn wave vs. Mako ?

Forum for kitesurfers
panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flysurfer flywave anyone ? Flywave vs. Shinn wave vs. Mako ?

Postby panchito » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi.

Anyone had a chance to test the Flysurfer flywave, and in that matter compare it to the Nobile Shinn wave ?

A shame , neither Nobile or Shinn offers in their actual product lines " mutants " . I guess I'm one of the last old school " oldies " that learned to enjoy these kind of boards ...

A petty that there is no way to try a Mako ....

Anyway , all imput is much appreciated .

Thanks and greetings from Spain

Saludos

poldo
Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer flywave anyone ? Flywave vs. Shinn wave vs. Ma

Postby poldo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 am

I've seen a Flywave (not ride) and seems nothing special, a tt quite stiff with rocker for choppy water. It's quite little for riding waves (at least for average rider)

Shinn 2008 wave also not tried but seen often at the beach and heard goos report if you like a tt with a mutant feeling (so one side is better to ride waves). nice size, goos upwind for what I know.

I have a MAko 150x40 and it's completely different, stiff and bic concave, shape symmetrical (but you could ride it with setback), it's a very unique feeling and I like it very much in waves and choppy water.stay in the pocket very well. about the size, 150x40 would be ok up to 80 kg than I would consider the King size.

Alsoo RRd have in his range some wave dedicated tt and mutants, a friend of mine have the Toxic2 and quite happy about it

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:23 pm

I tried one out.

Very nice board for someone looking for a twin tip with good "powered wave riding".

The board has two nice features that give it a smooth ride and forgiving behavior.

The tail has a very thinned out and flexible brake away section in the back. This gives it a very smooth ride in surf that is also mixed with a lot of chop.

The front end has a small but quite pronounced entry rocker with a breakaway ledge. Makes the board quite fast when ridden backwards.

What I liked:
Fast board and fast turning
Great jumper. Really holds it's edge when loading for a jump.
Ridden forward it lands jumps very smoothly and with a sort of auto correction
thanks to the larger 3 fin setup in the back.
Really smooth over the chop
Rides quite well with all your weight forward
Really strong fins (don't forget your helmet)
Really nice build.
Quite light.

What I did not like:
Big round hole in the footpad between the straps.
Footstraps not dual entry.(yea I know its a mutant)
Needs more power than a good surfboard
Loses speed to quick if you depower in the waves or ride waves in wind shadows.
Front fins can be catchy and railroad track the board if you are riding with your weight forward.
Limited foot strap position adjustment (not size). But this will IMO only effect heavier bigger riders and the low end for them.

I would definitely try this board with the front fins off.
I also think that on flat water with the front fins on the back it could make for a fun semi skim thingy.

Disclaimer.
Only rode it once so I'm not an expert on the board. Also no longer much of an "expert" with straps on :oops:

Compared to the Mako:
Mako is a bit more forgiving due to more continuous rocker, but the Flywave is far more fun.
Quicker and better upwind, especially toeside.

skyseer
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby skyseer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:48 am

Agree with FredBGG.

Great fun in small waves, plus many of the advatages of a twin tip.
Needs power, but that also means it has a great highend.

When I bought it I was about 84 kg, and I wished they had a bigger size. Now I'm over 90 kg, and
I definitely wish they had a bigger size. :wink:

If you are under 80 kg it might be a very good choice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”