Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Canadian National Champs 2011 - Pre-Event Report

Forum for kitesurfers
ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Canadian National Champs 2011 - Pre-Event Report

Postby ktouhey » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:30 pm

- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -
Friday June 3, 2011

THE CKA ANNOUNCES THE 2011 CANADIAN NATIONAL KITE RACING CHAMPIONSHIPS IN SQUAMISH, BC.

SQUAMISH, CANADA – The Canadian Kiteboarding Association (CKA) is pleased to announce that the 2011 Canadian Kiteboard Course Racing Championships will be held in Squamish, BC, Canada on the weekend of August 5-7th. Celebrations kick off with unofficial Slalom racing and freestyle Expression Sessions on Friday, with official Course Racing to be held Saturday and Sunday. Racers will battle for overall rankings and titles, along with prizes and a $TBD purse.

The event will be presented by the Squamish Windsports Society (SWS) in conjunction with the Squamish Yacht Club (SqYC) as part of the 32nd annual Squamish Open Annual Regatta (SOAR), known for attracting a competitive fleet of national and international racers. The event is open to all experienced kiteboarders from any country with categories for Overall and National Overall, with division splits for Open, Women and IKA-qualified Production Equipment. The event will be sanctioned by the CKA and IKA, and run in accordance with ISAF racing rules.

Course Racing is a new and exciting discipline of Kiteboarding. Efforts are currently underway to bring the sport to the 2016 Olympic Games. In this action packed event, competitors will be racing shoulder-to-shoulder at high speeds around marked courses over 3 days to see who is first to the finish line and fastest in the nation.

ABOUT SQUAMISH
With a variety of quality venues for many sports, Squamish has become known as the official ‘Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada’. It is situated at midpoint between the two host cities of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games: Vancouver and Whistler, where the Howe Sound inlet meets the Coastal Mountain range. Squamish has become a kiteboarding hotspot, boasting calm waters and steady thermal winds averaging from 18-25knts during the warmer months. It is all set in a scenic backdrop, and welcomed by a large and growing community of riders, all making it an ideal location for the 2011 Canadian National Kite Racing Championship.

MORE INFO coming soon.
Watch at www.SquamishWindsports.com or www.SOARsquamish.com; or follow the CKA on Facebook.
Race Director: Colin Ernst (SWS.Racing@gmail.com).

- END –

CKA contact: canadakite@gmail.com
Directors: Ben McNabb Kyle Touhey Daniel Medysky Don Campbell Eric Girard
Last edited by ktouhey on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squamish_Racing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish, BC, Canada
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Canadian National Champs 2011 - CKA Press Release

Postby Squamish_Racing » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Update.
Major prizes and some good sponsors.
Check out the events page for details!
http://www.squamishwindsports.com/events/events.php

Cernst
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Canadian National Champs 2011 - CKA Press Release

Postby Cernst » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 am

FYI
SWS, Airtime, NorthShore Ski & Board & Pacific Pilsner presents:

The Canadian Nationals & freestyle Jam!

West coast collective Freestyle Jam and Slalom racing on Fri Aug 5th.
Sat 6th & Sun 7th Course racing. All to be held at the Spit

$4255 in cash prizes for Men's and Women's.

Win a Trip or a kite!
Party and more...
Attachments
2011-Canada-Champs-Kite-Racing-Poster.jpg

ktouhey
Medium Poster

Re: Canadian National Champs 2011 - Pre-Event Report

Postby ktouhey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:56 am

Pre-Event Report:

It feels like event time now that people are starting to arrive from out of town.

The first to show was Patrick Rynne from Florida – I picked him up from the airport last night and we drove right up here to Squamish, to the sound of him saying repeatedly “this is so pretty” about the scenery.
Alex Aguera and his family arrived this morning from Maui, as well as Jessica Sickenger and Chris Butzen from Ontario. We were pleased to see clear sunny skies, which is good for the Squamish thermals.

Everyone all met up at “the Spit” with Myself, Stefano Rista and Colin Ernst to get out on the water for some mellow 11m conditions – slightly lighter than normal for Squamish, but still very smooth and steady winds. I think the nice winds offset the shock of the cold water for the Maui & FL crews.
We ran a few mock races around a temporary set of marks and everyone is starting to get a feel for the place. But us Squamish regulars might still have local knowledge tricks up our sleeves. ;-) Everyone is going fast and everyone is in full race mode. So much so that Colin and Alex ended up in a tangle near the windward mark, which resulted in a boat rescue and a few cut lines for Colin.
Stefano, Pat and I got in to a pretty fun tacking battle, trying to out roll-tack each other up to the windward mark, then flying downwind gybing as many times as possible and trying not to explode.

The kiting spot is right at the mouth of a river. We had a record snowfall winter, and the snowmelt is still pumping. This is the coldest water year I can remember; Normally by August we are in shorty suits, but this year we are still in 4/3’s! This also means that there are a lot of Salmon running, and we were all hunting plenty of fish with our fins today.

Big guns Johnny & Erica Heineken, Adam Koch, Bryan Lake and Adam Vance are all expected to arrive Friday, most opting to stay in the bay area to race the Thursday night series this week as well. They will be followed by a slew of racers from the Gorge, Seattle, Cali and the rest of Canada, meeting up to come do battle with the 10-15 of our local course racers.

As for gear, it’s looking like mostly Aguera, Mikeslab, and Naish boards. For kites, there are a lot of Xbows & Ozone Edges and I’ll be racing a quiver of Naish Chargers.
So far everyone here is on Ristafins!

The forecast for the rest of the week looks awesome and we can expect most people to be racing powered on 11m kites with steady winds.

I’m stoked that Squamish is turning in to a serious racing venue!

I’ll try to post a few more updates as we go, but honestly there is some great racing and good parties planned so I don’t expect to be at my laptop much this weekend.

- Kyle Touhey
Attachments
IMG_0856.JPG
nice backdrop for racing.
IMG_0750.JPG
my dog Reef helping Patrick unpack.
IMG_0902.JPG
Colin talking through his tangle with Alex & his daughter.
IMG_0898.JPG
Event coordinator Colin Ernst from Vancouver Kiteboarding School.
IMG_0893.JPG
LOTS of Ristafins!!
IMG_0887.JPG
Alex and some of his creations.
IMG_0880.JPG
Coach Pat Rynne enjoying the scenery.
IMG_0858.JPG
Stefano Rista & Alex Aguera tuning up.
IMG_0835.JPG
Stefano Rista & Alex Aguera
IMG_0824.JPG
rocky launch

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 am

Must be great with those high end boards.
and flat water for some real Biting Speed!!

Great to see the Updates!
Even though we have little wind in the East....

ktouhey
Medium Poster

Postby ktouhey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:22 am

Four races today. The first three were awesome racing and great wind. Then after a lunch break we got back out on the water and the winds had picked up and changed directions.
It doesn't show on the graph, but it went from fairly steady powered 9m/11m conditions to very gusty and extremely shifty winds and a lot of kites in the water. The last race was more about survival, and I know my own kite was in the water a few times.

more of a report and plenty of photos coming later.

Day 1 RESULTS online: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... utput=html
wind-today.JPG
today's wind graph

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:57 pm

ktouhey wrote:Four races today. The first three were awesome racing and great wind. Then after a lunch break we got back out on the water and the winds had picked up and changed directions.
It doesn't show on the graph, but it went from fairly steady powered 9m/11m conditions to very gusty and extremely shifty winds and a lot of kites in the water. The last race was more about survival, and I know my own kite was in the water a few times.

more of a report and plenty of photos coming later.

Day 1 RESULTS online: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... utput=html
wind-today.JPG
Five more races on Sunday in winds that were a little more steady than Saturday.
The link above will show the 2 day results that Kyle posted. Congrats to all the winners and the top finishers!
Had a great time and here is some footage from the Freestyle
AA

Return to “Kitesurfing”