Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Worlds Guesses? Which countries, riders, and gear will win?

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Worlds Guesses? Which countries, riders, and gear will

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:07 am

alex a wrote:Hey Gang,
The new wider boards are much easier to ride in strong winds than the older 59 models so the 25 kt maximum should be avoided at most venues.
But at Sylt, I ran very many big PWA events as the head race director and the problem is not so much the course racing boards not being able to do the course but actually getting the bigger courserace starting vessel(s) out and not getting into danger. We could launch the much smaller slalom starting and support vessels right from the beach (with a great crew) but the bigger boats came out of the harbor and waves are breaking everywhere at Sylt in the usual Onshore conditions. I mean you can be outside one kilometer off the beach and take a breaking wave in Sylt once it hits 25-35 kt westerlies !. The North Sea is not real deep so waves can break all over the place. Anchoring a big boat there in those conditions is not a good idea and should be avoided unless you are a good swimmer and don't mind the boat sinking or washing up the shoreline when you flood the engine compartment with water and can't start it..
The new course race boards are not the problem in 25 kt.++ conditions at Sylt.
AA
Thanks Alex, I'd never have thought of the support boats being the problem.
I'm still happy with my 59 as its as big as I'd like to try to carry while flying a kite, but I'm amazed that the new 69 is easier to ride in strong winds. You must have done a good job with that design, and you proved it in the recent Naish races. Is the tri-fin layout a major part of the reason?
Sounds like the future is good for course racing if the 70cm boards can work so well in strong winds.

There is also water state to worry about. You can have 25 knots and fairly flat water (which they may have had yesterday) or big chop from criss-crossing waves and wavelets. In nearly all water conditions under 25 knots, is the 69 still going to be the goto board?

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Be good if could get a list of each riders registered equipment.
I guess Sky is on the North production board?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:26 pm

I will try to get a list tomorrow.

More races are on now

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alex a » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:31 pm

ronnie wrote:
alex a wrote:Hey Gang,
The new wider boards are much easier to ride in strong winds than the older 59 models so the 25 kt maximum should be avoided at most venues.
But at Sylt, I ran very many big PWA events as the head race director and the problem is not so much the course racing boards not being able to do the course but actually getting the bigger courserace starting vessel(s) out and not getting into danger. We could launch the much smaller slalom starting and support vessels right from the beach (with a great crew) but the bigger boats came out of the harbor and waves are breaking everywhere at Sylt in the usual Onshore conditions. I mean you can be outside one kilometer off the beach and take a breaking wave in Sylt once it hits 25-35 kt westerlies !. The North Sea is not real deep so waves can break all over the place. Anchoring a big boat there in those conditions is not a good idea and should be avoided unless you are a good swimmer and don't mind the boat sinking or washing up the shoreline when you flood the engine compartment with water and can't start it..
The new course race boards are not the problem in 25 kt.++ conditions at Sylt.
AA

Thanks Alex, I'd never have thought of the support boats being the problem.
I'm still happy with my 59 as its as big as I'd like to try to carry while flying a kite, but I'm amazed that the new 69 is easier to ride in strong winds. You must have done a good job with that design, and you proved it in the recent Naish races. Is the tri-fin layout a major part of the reason?
Sounds like the future is good for course racing if the 70cm boards can work so well in strong winds.

There is also water state to worry about. You can have 25 knots and fairly flat water (which they may have had yesterday) or big chop from criss-crossing waves and wavelets. In nearly all water conditions under 25 knots, is the 69 still going to be the goto board?
Hi Ronnie,
Yes I prefer the newer larger 69 model in all conditions now. We thought it would be a problem in higher winds and chop but they are easier to control. The rocker has allot to do with it and also the tri fin is much easier downwind. I rode my 7 switchblade in the Naish Race on Saturday in 30-35 kts. Paolo Rista and I have been out in 40 kts testing his race fins this past month with 6m kites and still can handle. Trained with Bruno in strong winds here as well a month ago. That guy is super fast downwind in 40 kts of wind on the new board. He says you must go full speed, if you don't and let off the gas, you get into trouble. You should see full speed in 40 kts downwind, it is frickin scary! Takes a while to get the balls and confidence to send it in those conditions. You are going about 30 + kts of board speed and flying over chop. This is being done on 42 cm fins! Really amazing to see...
AA

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Today's race:

Men:
1. Heinecken
2. Kernieur
3. Koch

Women:
1. Bridge
2. Roose

For more check results at link mentioned before

ferrarista
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ferrarista » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 pm

heineken is a beast!! won 4 out of 5 races!! if he didn't have a problem in one of the races on day 1 he would have won them all lol

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Finally some tough conditions arriving on Thursday and Friday, so maybe some changes will happen. I dont think it will affect Heineken though.

After what Alex said, we could be seeing some impressive speeds out of these wide boards, so I'm looking forward to some videos.

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 pm

ronnie wrote:Finally some tough conditions arriving on Thursday and Friday, so maybe some changes will happen. I dont think it will affect Heineken though.

After what Alex said, we could be seeing some impressive speeds out of these wide boards, so I'm looking forward to some videos.
I just hope we get some boats to be able to set the courses. Today I heard they would have done another race but already had boat issues!
The seas in Sylt start breaking far offshore rather quickly once the wind gets over 20-25 kts. You need smaller zodiac style boats once it starts doing this. Hope the RC is ready! They are getting more Spring and Fall type weather right now in Sylt...
AA

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Hope this isn't the sea state typical of 30 knots.
This forecast shows Thursday and especially Saturday could be difficult - especially if they had problems today, which should have been much easier.

http://magicseaweed.com/Sylt-Surf-Report/158/

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:22 am

All results of 5 races here, plus the info if open or production class: http://results.extremience.com/sylt2011course.htm

Return to “Kitesurfing”