Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Worlds Guesses? Which countries, riders, and gear will win?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Worlds Guesses? Which countries, riders, and gear will

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:07 am

ronnie, way to early to have an accurate forecast!

and normally the best forecast for North Germany is www.dmi.dk !

j0nes
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Windfinder.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby j0nes » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Hello,

if you want to have live weather data directly from the event site have a look here:
http://www.windfinder.com/report/brande ... westerland

Of course we also have wind forecasts and our high resolution Superforecast available:
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/bran ... westerland
http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforeca ... westerland

And finally there are three webcams at the event site, see:
http://www.windfinder.com/webcams/?lat= ... 39722&z=16

Windfinder will also be at Sylt during the championships. If you see some guy wearing a Windfinder hoodie or T-Shirt, just say hello, will be happy to chat with you :)

Best regards,
Jonas Kaufmann
www.windfinder.com

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Al-Kite-A » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:08 pm

I think this pic tell who I think will take it. Heineken taking on Ellison's AC45s yesterday!
I also will be cheering on the other Crissy Racing boys.
Chip Wasson
Joey Pasquali
Brian Lake
Adam Koch
Andrew Koch

radam
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Magnuson park, Seattle
Favorite Beaches: Magnuson park, Seattle
Style: wake, old skool, racing
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby radam » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm a devoted fan of all the above guys, including Sky Solbach - I've sailed with Adam Koch for years and have always been stoked out to ride with him, so he's got my best wishes (and he's a rista team mate) - I know the comp is going to be tight between Heineken, Sroka, Koch, Kerneur and the new kid on the block Maxime Nocher is really fast. The best thing about it is that they are all really good guys.

So it seems like the France/US rivalry is setting up to dominate here.

But I am not a fan of hegemony. I root for the underdogs (being one meself of course):

GO Columbia and Canada!!! :D Let's see some post-colonial power plays here...

AV

MKM
Frequent Poster
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha & Dakine

Postby MKM » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm just trying to stir up the pot a bit. Clearly the 3 favorites are Damo, Heini, and Adam. Lately, Damo and Jonny have set themselves a part a bit, but I think everyone has prett good gear now. I'm kind of bummed about the 25 knot max rule set for Germany. I'm sure that the Bay guys would like a few windy and rough races for sure!

I'm guessing that most racing will occur in Germany between 10-16 knots. They will probably get a race or two in the really light stuff and a few in 20 plus with rough seas. In winds 10 knots and less, Damo and a few other Cab guys have something very special that I'm pretty sure will be difficult to beat. Time will tell.

Over the event, I want to carefully look at daily racing conditions and individual results to see how my prediction works out. It seems as though in the lighter winds, gear becomes much more important. As wind and waves increase, riders skill shines through. I think that this is a good examle of what we saw last year. Adam was amazing in the wicked conditions as he really put the time in. When the water flattend out and the winds lightened, Damo and Bruno took over.

In any case, I'm surely pulling for all of the Americans, but I'm very happy to see such a large representation for various parts of the world. I hope we see some surprises near the top. I'm sure that we will!!!

Have fun!!!

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm

I think you're right on the top 3 favorites. Not sure what the order will be, but it is racing so you never know! I hope to see a pretty good mixup in the top 10 from all over though, but I do think that the two red/white/blue nations generally show promise. Sounds like it's going to be a crazy fast fleet!
It'll be interesting to see what gear pulls ahead too.

Although, like you - I am also bummed at the max 25knt rule, being a very big guy myself.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 pm

If they implemented the 25knot rule so they can switch over to slalom racing then hell yea it's a good idea. Great opportunity to show of that format to the IOC.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 am

From the forecast, it looks good for wind, and those already there are likely to get some last minute training in with the sort of conditions that they will be racing in.

Last year Adam Koch showed that getting used to the local conditions was a good idea, and I thought he gave some very interesting reports on the build up to the Worlds.
I'm hoping he (or someone as knowledgeable) will give a similar picture on what's happening this year.

It looks like the 69 cm tri-fin diamondtail with 5 straps is the standard board now, but there are a few variations.
There may be enough wind for smaller boards to be the optimum at times, so it will be interesting to see who's gambles pay off.

The skill level Adam was showing in the latest Rista video was very impressive - strap to strap tacking of both feet and sheeting with the front hand while steering with the rear. It may have been a promo thing when he said that the fins were the big area for future development, as its still early days, and kiting may require something that was never used in another sport.

The forecast is showing a wide range of kiteable conditions, so the event is looking like being a big success. I hope they have good reports on it - they should check out the live video reporting that took place with the PWA wave event at Cold Hawaii last year, which worked very well.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:55 am

If there is 25+ knots, then it will be cold, rainy and stormy with onshore winds...not good if something happens.
I already saw a kite flying over people into the car park behind the dunes...luckily nothing happened.
Freestylers should make sure to NOT have suicide mode when landing and launching their kites...

And if stormy, no one will watch/film anyway...so far it looks like easy winds, westerly depression coming, but doesn't look stormy. Let's hope.

And I hope to see the slalom...since I have my doubts that it will work ok if all start at the same time.
Still looking for a video of this...anyone has one?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 am

[quote="Toby"]If there is 25+ knots, then it will be cold, rainy and stormy with onshore winds...not good if something happens.
I already saw a kite flying over people into the car park behind the dunes...luckily nothing happened.
Freestylers should make sure to NOT have suicide mode when landing and launching their kites...

And if stormy, no one will watch/film anyway...so far it looks like easy winds, westerly depression coming, but doesn't look stormy. Let's hope.

And I hope to see the slalom...since I have my doubts that it will work ok if all start at the same time.
Still looking for a video of this...anyone has one?[/quote]

Just a one minute clip of Brian Smith winning a heat at the Lord of the Wind slalom on a wakeboard. :o Unless the legs continue to be this short, it might be the only win on a wakeboard.

They had 4 man heats. Windsurf has either 8 or 12 man heats. I reckon they could run 8 man heats in kitesurfing if everyone has a high skill level and they set the buoys far enough apart.

They have no rules in the kite slalom, which the windsurfers found worked better and avoided the arguments that you see at the end of this clip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”