Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why the long depower rope??

Forum for everyone who is into racing and speeding on kites.

MattW
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Kite Beach
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: smooth
Gear: directional/straps
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why the long depower rope??

Postby MattW » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:36 am

Nice video, keep them coming, but the "depower rope" setups shown aren't rigged right. Especially for a Cabrinha kite.

Adam Koch created the system, saw him using it back in 1998 or 99. Check his out to see how to rig it right, then you have to understand how he uses it. I haven't totally figured that out.

I'm thinkin ktouhey comments are on the right tack but I'm with tautologies & would like more details.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 am

MattW wrote:Nice video, keep them coming, but the "depower rope" setups shown aren't rigged right. Especially for a Cabrinha kite.

Adam Koch created the system, saw him using it back in 1998 or 99. Check his out to see how to rig it right, then you have to understand how he uses it. I haven't totally figured that out.

I'm thinkin ktouhey comments are on the right tack but I'm with tautologies & would like more details.

Well Damian Leroy has won some top level course racing events, so although the system he was using may not be as effective as the one used by Heineken and Adam Koch, I wouldn't say its wrongly rigged.

AdamKoch
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Where I'm at... At the time I guess?
Favorite Beaches: Where there is wind and I happen to be.
Style: You tell me?
Gear: Ozone Edge, Aguera CR custom, Da Kine accessories, Team Fluid fins

Postby AdamKoch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:43 am

Hey y'all.
First off thanks for noticing the details of our racing techniques. I've been using this downhaul system since 1999... It's pretty much awesome if you set it up right and know how to use it. All of you are all right, but with many key details left out. The video posted above is wrong. Close but rigged completely wrong... So good luck with that boys.

All and all it's more complex then it looks. It's taken me 12 years to pioneer it. Truthfully if you want a lesson on how to properly apply the downhaul you will have to take one of Heinekens and my racing clinics. First one is in Spain, then England, Germany, holland, Italy, Mexico and possibly Argentina. Thats where we will give all our secrets away.

You can contact me at teamfluid@me.com or through my Facebook page. Contact me soon, there is limited space an it's filling up fast.

Hold Fast,

Adam Koch

pouch
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm

you are travelling in all countries surrounding France, but not france, may be you do not want to give your secret to the froggies :D ?

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm

yeah - I guess I should have mentioned that all credit goes to Adam & team fluid for the system, or for having put thought in to any system at all.

A while ago I was struggling with the stock bar system that I had with my bar for racing. I come from a sailing background and so I figured I could make it better using that knowledge. Adam obviously went through the same thought process, only much earlier and much more effectively. I've been through about 15 different bar setups (and a lot of $ at West Marine) and I still cant come up with anything better than basically copying the Fluid guys' setup. Let's say "inspired by" instead of copy. :wink: It isn't even easy to copy even if you tried to, and as Adam says - how to properly apply it to your riding is the key and something I'm still figuring out.

The point is though, that it makes a difference. All the racers at our spot have some sort of evolved bar system because it makes a difference. Check the SF photos, and they all do too. Adam and the Fluid guys have an amazing ability to not just accept status quo, but instead to identify a problem and evolve a solution to end up getting around the buoys faster. You see it with all of their gear & riding style, and is something I try to study.
Adam, I'm keen for some coaching or clinic some time for sure dude. I'm certain its well worth it for myself or anyone else - see you on the race course this weekend eh!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:54 pm

It used to be that nearly all racers had an exaggerated poo stance to allow them to sheet the bar enough.

Watching Adam in this video, its all transformed. His stance is perfect with hardly any body movement, he can sheet with both hands if necessary while steering with one and he has amazing control with not a lot of leverage from his feet over a very wide board.
The other thing is he has trained so hard with this setup he can sail the board without concentrating on it, leaving him free to look around at the opposition, marks, and conditions and make strategy calls.

And I stand corrected, if its not rigged the best way from a racing point of view, its rigged wrong. :thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:39 am

Aloha Koch,

Here is your chance to promote your clinics: Any chance you'll do one in Hawai'i? If so how much is one?

How many people will be necessary for you to put one on? We're gaining a little momentum for racing over on Oahu. A lot more people interested now when they see how much more fun it is in light winds...which we have enough of on Oahu. :-)

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 am

This is good stuff!

though it begs the question, at what point would this become "custom" and therefore become illegal in racing?

everything should be stock no?

I mean I am going to fit this system to my kit for sure but will it cause issues?!

Aummm
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Come on people don't live in an illusion :!:

There is no such a thing as secret, that's a simple mechanical sheeting device with a longer activation for depower :naughty:

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Here is my solution .... :idea:

Race bar 2011.JPG

Return to “Kiteracer”