Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to go for 3-6 Months of epic kiting?

Forum for kitesurfers
sckite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Charleston area (Folly beach, IOP, Sullivan's Island, Bull Island, Caper's Island)
Gear: 2010 Nomad 9m, Switchblade 10m, 140 custom w/ Ronix kai
Brand Affiliation: Oli Nah
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to go for 3-6 Months of epic kiting?

Postby sckite » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:04 am

My girlfriend and I are graduating college in May and we are planning on taking an extended trip out of country (We live in the US) to experience different cultures and more importantly to kite.

We are planning on our trip lasting anywhere from 3-6 months and we want to leave in January of 2012. What we need now is some guidance as to where to go.

Our main requirements are:
-Safety
-Good Health Care
-Epic kiting for the majority of the time we are there
-Warm weather (I don't want to wear a suit, but will wear a shorty if I have to)
-Great nightlife
-Relatively cheap

We have been considering Cape Town and Cumbuco but are open to suggestions.

raoul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, Long Beach CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Sunset Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Zichron + Kinneret, Israel
Quaipe, Brazil
Paros, Greece
Style: Free Style
Gear: Board: Underground
Kite: Naish Torch, Fone Tribal, Blade Trigger
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where to go for 3-6 Months of epic kiting?

Postby raoul » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:54 am

Cumboco is a good, but January is a bit late to go there. Season there is more like July-Nov. (Maybe Dec.)
Cape Town - not sure of season, I think its always windy there listening to stories from my parents - I was born there but left when I was 3. Just remember the water there is cold, but if you travel in S.A you will find very cool spots.

I would look into Caribbean’s for Jan - May, best might be to start of in Venezuela and then travel via all the East Caribbean islands.

You might want to consider Egypt, Sinai and Israel (that where I live right now). I think Israel is the best in summer starting mid May (sea of Galilee gets wind 90% of the days) but we also have good winter storms and northern winds in between the seasons.

Have fun.
Raoul

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:38 pm

travel around Asia...much cheaper than caribbean.
Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Taiwan...cheap to get around and to live

location info:
www.splocs.com

myrkitedoc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North Myrtle Beach
Favorite Beaches: OuterBanks NC
Cometa Copal Costa Rica
Style: Free Style
Gear: North rebels
mako wide, north Jamie
Jay factory dynabar

Postby myrkitedoc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Check out Costa Rica low cost epic kiting good health care limited night life immediate proximity to kite beach would have to drive a couple of hours for that. After kiting all day in Nuking conditions sleep was my top priority. Just returned from 2 week holiday everyday 7 meter conditions couple or 5s and couple of 9s. Google playa copal kitesurfing

CEPIDIX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cabedelo Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Gear: North Rebel 9, 2009
North Rebel 12, 2010
Nobile 555,137, 2009

Postby CEPIDIX » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 pm

January
Western Oz, cape town-South Africa, Boracay-philipines, Mui Ne Bay-Vietnam, Baja, Barbados, Buenos aires-Argentina

February
Western Oz, cape verde, Melbourne, South Africa, Boracay-philipines, Mui Ne Bay-Vietnam, Baja, Barbados, cabarete, Noordwijk ann Zee-Netherlands

March
cape verde, cabarete, Western Oz, South Africa, Antigua, Mui Ne Bay-Vietnam, Barbados, Cape Hatteras-USA

April
cape verde, Western Oz, Antigua, Barbados, Cape Hatteras-USA

May
cape verde, Antigua, Cape Hatteras-USA, Essaouira-Morocco, Fuerteventura, cabarete, Tarifa, Mancora-Peru

June
Fuerteventura, Tenerife, cape verde, cabarete, Maui-USA, fiji, Essaouira-Morocco, Guincho-Portugal, dakhla-morocco, Lanzarote, Mancora-Peru

July
Cabarete, Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Mauritius, solomon Islands, Maui-USA, fiji, Tahiti, Essaouira-Morocco, Guincho-Portugal, dakhla - morocco, Lanzarote, Maui-USA, Mancora-Peru

August
Cabarete, Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Brazil, Mauritius, cape verde, The gorge-USA, Guincho-Portugal, solomon Islands, Rangiroa-F.polynesia, Maui-USA, fiji, Tahiti, Essaouira-Morocco, Lanzarote, Maui-USA, Mancora-Peru

September
Tucus-Brazil, Mauritius, Zanzibar-Tanzania, Seychelles*, solomon Islands, Rangiroa-F.polynesia, Sumbawa-indonesia, Maui-USA, Madagascar, Noordwijk ann Zee-Netherlands, Mancora-Peru, Cumbuco Brazil

October
Tucus-Brazil, Western Oz, Sumbawa-indonesia, Madagascar, Chile, Buenos aires-Argentina, Noordwijk ann Zee-Netherlands, Cape Hatteras-USA, Mancora-Peru, Cumbuco Brazil

November
Melbourne, Tucus-Brazil, Western Oz, Sumbawa-indonesia, Madagascar, Buenos aires-Argentina, Carmelo-Uruguay, Noordwijk ann Zee-Netherlands, Tarifa, Cumbuco Brazil

December
Melbourne, Tucus-Brazil, Western Oz, cape town-South Africa, Mui Ne Bay-Vietnam, Baja, Boracay-philipines, Buenos aires-Argentina, Cape Hatteras-USA, Tarifa

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Summer is not Copal's season

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:17 am

Playa Copal in Costa Rica does have some really great winds, but the season is during the winter, so it would not be a good place to go for a summer trip. Furthermore, I don't think it is a good long-term destination because it isn't the most versatile place- there is flat water and nuking winds. If you want waves, you are out of luck, the best you will get are about 2 feet. One of the times I went I was there for about a month and was beginning to get bored. Also, it is far away from other kiting spots, so it isn't conducive to travelling around much- there just isn't much else in that area. The area is very pretty, but it is a desert (seasonally; very dry during the winter) and is somewhat far from good non-kiting things to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love Playa Copal and hope to go back at some point, but I wouldn't want to be there for 3 months. It is a great 10 day or 2 week vacation spot in the winter, because you don't have to worry about being skunked for wind (in the winter only, there is not good wind during the summer).

For the summer there is a lot going on in the US. Unless you want to get out of the country for the sake of getting out of the country, you could even consider road tripping around hitting Hood River, California coast, the Outer banks, Texas, etc.

RESR
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Adicora - Paraguana -Venezuela
Favorite Beaches: Matagorda & El Supí (Paraguana)
Style: Wave - Freestyle -Freeride
Gear: CABRINHA - NORTH - ION
Brand Affiliation: AdicoraKite

Postby RESR » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 pm

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Random
Frequent Poster

Postby Random » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

Brazil is many things, but cheap it is not.

How about Turkey over summer? Cheap and fairly easy going. Check out Gokova.

zarahzarahzarah
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kingfisher Beach, Pagudpud, Philippines
Favorite Beaches: Kingfisher Beach, Boracay
Style: carefree
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby zarahzarahzarah » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:40 am

check out http://locations.splocs.com/windsurf/lo ... _Farm.html!

Kiting season here starts from October and lasts until February-March. It's fairly new so it definitely won't be crowded.

http://kingfisherbeach.com/Kingfisher_Beach/Home.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”