Forum for kitesurfers
tplowe56
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best kite to replace SS TD3?

Postby tplowe56 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:53 pm

I will have to retire my TD3's soon & I'm looking for something with similar performance. I sail on lake with a short fetch that is pretty gusty, (I live right on the lake, so I put up with inferior conditions for the convenience of not traveling). The TD3 gives me a lot of range & eats gusts well. The 11m & the 14m cover 75% of my sessions. I like SS bar a lot also. Love to buy another SS but not sure if the Rally is going perform as well as the old TD3. I don't do un-hooked but lots of boosting.

I also had a 2010 Cabrinha 16m Xbow, but was very unhappy with the relaunch in light winds, and hated the huge IDS bridle.I like my old 17m Contra way better for light winds. Has Cabbie cleaned up the IDS bridle for 2012?

So......any TD3 users out there that transitioned to a new kite and are happy with the replacement. I'd rather not hear hype from sponsored riders telling me their brand is the best thing since sliced bread. Just some reasonable advice from TD3 users that have moved to a new kite.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: Best kite to replace SS TD3?

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:43 am

I learned on the slingshot T-2's. I've also flown the T-3, Contra, and older Crossbow. The answer to your question is really easy. Any new kite you buy will be better. All those have heavy bar pressure with a very non-direct(spongy) feel. I was stoked when I was learning on the T-2's because I didn't know any better. Until a demo'd some others. That's what I suggest you do before you invest in another quiver. :D

Rare Poster
Local Beach: Saskatchewan, Canada
Gear: 9m Rev, 14m TD2, homemade board

Postby 600 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:50 am

I had a 14TD2 and 9m Rev originally when I started kiting. Still have the Rev. Just got rid of the TD2 this summer and got the 14m Epic Screamer. I'm from Saskatchewan, so we have gusty winds on the lake as well. My biggest concern was wind range to work in 10 to 20 knots.

I was expecting the Screamer to be a great improvement over the TD2, but that wasn't the case. I use the 19" (I think) bar from the Rev for the Screamer and it turns way quicker than the TD2. The relaunch on the TD2 in light winds was easier. The bar pressure on the Screamer is a lot lighter. Don't get sore arms/tennis elbow anymore. I'd say it's slightly less than the Rev.

I haven't decided which has better low wind performance yet. If you don't know how to trim well, the TD2 stalls easy whereas the Screamer doesn't stall very easy. I think the TD2 will pull you in lighter wind, but once you get moving on the Screamer, you really move. I've only used them with twin tips.

Both are known for high boosting, TD2 was known for great depower, can't say if the Screamer has more or less.

Nothing wrong with the Screamer, was just expecting more of an improvement for a 3 year newer kite.

Check Dimitri's website for deals on old stock. Epic and Switch had basically the lowest prices for new kites that I could find.

Guvner
Rare Poster

Postby Guvner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:23 am

maybe a smoke. i got a 9mTD3 i dont use anymore because i find it turns way to slow and stalls in the turns and the bar pressure is crazy. The smoke has comparable range but flys/feels so much better to me. You could set it to turn slow if you dont like a wave kite turning speed. You could prob use your slingshot bar with it but change it to 1:1 mode.

sw67
Medium Poster

Postby sw67 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:43 am

I used TD2 14 and 11m kites and now use a Ozone Zephyr 17 and Wainman 12 , 9 and 6.5.

The Zephyr is a superb kite and has the same easy use and boosting ability that the 14TD2 had but has a bigger wind range and more depower.

I purchased my Wainman 12 this year at the same time but if i had to i could go from the Zephyr to the 9m smoke as the wind picks up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”