Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RIP RippEHr.... ideas for replacement?

Forum for kitesurfers
flying doctor
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

RIP RippEHr.... ideas for replacement?

Postby flying doctor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Sadly my 2008 RippEHr 9M died of fatal injuries after four years of service... the quick release popped unintentionally, the kite flew away and a couple of waves munched the LE to bits.
The last 4 years I have just used this one kite and it served me fine but now I will have to warp myself to the current standards. So I'd appreciate your advice!

90% of the time I'm in the waves on my 5'8'' (strapped and hooked in) and 10% is just boosting high jumps. I'm 80kg and start riding in 15 knots and will go up to 35 (the RippEHr had quite a range..)

I tried a bandit 4 9m which I liked: very different kite in terms of AR but drifted nicely and good bar feel.
Which brings me to my only requirement: I need to feel where the kite is, I've never liked the very light bar pressure kites.

The Switch Method is generating a lot of buzz.. seems tot be good for waves but not a lot of riders reports on jumping ability and -feel.

Oh and yes: I am considering a quiver of 2 kites again. But hell it was good to have just one kite all those years and not have to fret over which size to choose..... R.I.P. RippEHr!

S.A.
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.cautionkites.com
www.nobilekiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: RIP RippEHr.... ideas for replacement?

Postby S.A. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am

If you can, get your hands on a Caution Spitfire 9m.

It will handle the range that you are talking about and also fits your criteria of good bar feedback & great downwind drift for wave riding.
One of the outstanding aspects of this kite is that the handling & response remain the same throughout the wind range, so you can confidently crack the lip in any conditions.

I'm a big guy (250lbs :thumb: ) and I'm out on a 9m Spitfire + 6'0 directional in 15kt, and still using the same gear in 30kt (a 7m would obviously be better).

Jumping ability is good as well.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:06 am

But certainly most kites will have more bar pressure than the rippehr though? I mean I flew an early version, but man I barely felt that kite. In anycase, check out the Park. Fast turning, drifts, light but solid feel, and has a lot more power in the loops than the rippehr. For more range, and still all the good qualities, but less looping power, and slightly less turning speed check out the Bolt. I think you'll like that kite. :-)

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi

Send Erik an email , I am sure he will be more than glad to sell you a Beast , or a new Ripper if you prefer .

Saludos

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys,

@tautologies; 4 years ago a lot of kites (like the OR Rise) I tested had zero pressure, compared to that the rippehr had a nice direct feel, the bandit 4 was about the same and I could feel it even better in jumps..

@panchito; Good idea, I'll try to send him a post.. from what I gathered EH closed shop but who knows..

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm

First of all sorry for you kiteloss.. it sucks when a good kite you like gets destroyed. But it forces you to try out new stuff too.

A new ripper (could be hard since EH stopped i heared) would be the best choice since you love that little fabric friend.

For waves you could give the Epic Renegade a try i hear from some waveriders that its a really good kite for waveriding. I'm sure you wont be disapointed by that kite.
(yes i work for epic all i'm saying try it! )

Waiman always seems to be good for wave. OR rise is for wave too? i do know its an amazing kite. tried it a while ago and liked it alot.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:52 am

If Eric doesn't have another Rippehr left, then try the Ovando 9m. Quick kite that feels good. It doesn't drift backwards as well as the Rippehr, but it's a lot of fun to fly. I'll rue the day that my Rippehr dies. Til then, my Rippehr 10 is still my favorite kite of all time. It's still got some time left in it! Good luck. Let us know what you replace it with. I'll be in that position someday. Maybe a Naish Torch?

Return to “Kitesurfing”