Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anybody have results of Slalom Worlds??

Forum for kitesurfers
alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anybody have results of Slalom Worlds??

Postby alex a » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Does anybody have a good link for results at Murcia for the Slalom World Championships? Can't find anything yet, yesterday they should have started the event.
AA

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Anybody have results of Slalom Worlds??

Postby Toby » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:56 pm

Gunnar Biniasch Twitter:
Still no wind at the EUROSAF High Performance Grand Prix in Murcia.
Attachments
Bild 1.png
Bild 1.png (315.15 KiB) Viewed 2622 times

j0nes
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Windfinder.com

Postby j0nes » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:35 am

The first round was held yesterday, here is the official page for the event. Unfortunately the kite cross results link in the top navigation does not work...

http://www.sailingmurcia.com/

Jonas

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:20 am

Sometimes they seem to forget about publicising events once they get the entrance fee. I hope that wont be the case here.

Might have to rely on Damo
http://twitter.com/#!/leroydamo

Bryan Lake and Damo are twins?
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... md%3Dimvns

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:37 am

They have got the results up for days 1 and 2, as an overall result for the days. No info on heats run.

Cabrinha seem to be supporting the event well, but overall I'm disappointed in the entry list.
In the men's there are 4 guys who have podiumed or been world champion in racing, and only 2 women from the top ranks. Gunnar and Denzil and maybe some locals may surprise though?

Its more a lack of depth in the fields, as an event like slalom needs strength in depth to make the heats exciting. Its a class that I think has a bigger relevance to recreational kiting than course racing, so maybe its a case of 'from small acorns'?

As least with Caroline and those top 3 or 4 guys there, the winners will have to be pretty good to take the titles.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:49 am

alex a
Medium Poster
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Cabrinha Kites
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for the links guys. I was trying that link the other day but it was not working yet. Getting updates in Kiteboarding needs to happen in a better/ faster way! For instance if there is no wind on the first day just post something on the first day saying there is no wind. There are many interested people around the world waiting for these updates. I have guys from Naish calling me asking for news because they cannot find anything on the internet.
Anyway enough ranting! I just wanted to see how Damien Leroy is doing with my new 2012 CR board and the new slalom board I made for him.
The update from Damo is that there is very light winds and they are riding their course boards with 16m for him and 18m for Bruno Sroka and Brian Lake. Damo has not ridden the slalom board yet. It doesn't really beat the CR board until you are lit with a 13m or smaller but it jibes unreal.
I do not know what happened today, Saturday, yet. They are supposed to have some better winds.
Here is a link on IKA nowhttp://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... &Itemid=99
Hopefully it will be updated for todays results soon after the racing ends.
Ronnie you are right that this might have a bigger appeal to most kiteboarders in the future. It is easier to go downwind for sure and more fun for spectators . The downwind slalom in Los Barilles last January was really fun to watch! You could even ride a twin tip and do well at that slalom event.

Denzil
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Denzil » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:45 am

Lots of racing got done yesterday, some crazy stuff as well. Normal slalom you have 4 riders ast a time racing, most of our races yesterday were 8 man heats!
I had a quick go on damien's aguera slalom board and it was blistering fast off the wind, so much more faster than my CR board, in fact I managed to borrow it for one of the men's finals and thought I might be able to keep up with the top guns! But I could not make the start, I just could not get upwind enough on it, with the start out to sea and upwind!
The forecast for the last day does not look so good but you never know what can happen.
oh yeah, the last heat of the day they ran a full mens fleet race, imagine 16 riders on a slalom race, carnage!
Off to the beach now.

alex a
Medium Poster
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Cabrinha Kites
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Congratulations to Damien Leroy for winning the kiteboard Slalom World Championships!! Good job buddy!
Also congrats to Bryan Lake and Bruno Sroka for their second and third place finishes.
Here is a picture of Damo and Bruno with the new 2012 Aguera LE CR 2012 model that Damien won the event on. There was not enough wind to ride the slalom board I sent him so the top guys were all riding their Course boards with large kites of size 16 and 18m.
Attachments
Damien and Bruno with the 2012 Aguera CR board.jpg

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:02 am

Congratulations Damo and Alex. :jump:

I'm interested to know what we learn from this.

In very light wind, they used 70cm raceboards. This seems to be down to the fact that they can go faster the tighter to the wind they ride in 6 knots? Usually we are used to a broad reach being the fastest point of sail.
The slalom board you sent is faster when lit on a 13m on a certain angle of course Alex. Can you shed any light on what wind speed that would be before they could run the usual downwind slalom (assuming they had 70cm as the max board width). Damo looked pretty fast in this with not a lot of wind. Was that on the Aguera slalom board?

Denzil said he had trouble making the start on the slalom board. The video shows an Aguera pin tail with 3 wave type fins in what looked like mini-tuttle boxes? Was that just because Denzil underestimated the speed it would go upwind and just needed more time?

Return to “Kitesurfing”