Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2012 Ozone bar with push away QR

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

2012 Ozone bar with push away QR

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi,

Anyone know any details on release date and price?

Paul

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 2012 Ozone bar with push away QR

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:41 am

No but I have to say - oh thank god! I've used the Megatron loops on other kites and bars which were are better solution than the OEM ones but the slide release is a horrid idea - any sand in there jams it up real good, for a start.
And it's the QR that's put me off the Ozone kites for the longest time!
:jump:

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby poools81 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 am

my QR worked when my kite went into a nasty death loop dragging me towards the beach in a hurry!!!!!! I've never had any problem with the quick release and have always liked its simplicity but i am sure i would like the push away too!!!!!!!!!

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:11 am

It's been delayed at least 6 months. The &*&*^&% told me not until the 2013 model kites. Ozone says the mold for some plastic part from China isn't up to spec. Even when it is corrected, supposedly now, it will be six months of testing before they would put it into production. Double bummer because I even saw pictures of the new bar before I learned of this.

- Droffats

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:42 am

Kamikuza wrote:No but I have to say - oh thank god! I've used the Megatron loops on other kites and bars which were are better solution than the OEM ones but the slide release is a horrid idea - any sand in there jams it up real good, for a start.
And it's the QR that's put me off the Ozone kites for the longest time!
:jump:
I'd be very surprised to see the megatron release could be jammed with sand? We have been using them on our school kites since they were released, no issues at all.
For most people that don't unhook, the release works perfectly, for those that unhook and who can't remember not to grab the red release, oh well, maybe kitesurfing is too complicated for them?? :o

If you don't use Ozone because of the Megatron, you have seriously missed out on flying some of the best kites made!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:04 pm

It's the slider that sticks - increases the forces required to pull the hat. It's usually fine once I'm in the water, cos it's washed out by the time I'm moving ... it's the launching time on the beach that bothers me.
The other thing that sticks in my craw is almost $500 for that bar system :o

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:30 am

Kamikuza wrote:It's the slider that sticks - increases the forces required to pull the hat. It's usually fine once I'm in the water, cos it's washed out by the time I'm moving ... it's the launching time on the beach that bothers me.
The other thing that sticks in my craw is almost $500 for that bar system :o
All the complete bar and line sets from all the major brands are around that price?
I don't know what sort of sand you have in your area or how you treat your bar and lines, but I cannot get the red release slider to stick or fail to release with minimal pressure?

I thought you said you did not have Ozone kites and yet above you say that its something you seem to use regularly? I'm confused? :-?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsurfer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:19 am

I don't know but I wish they wouldn't change the bar. IMO the 2009 and 2010 ozone bars are one of the best on the market. Simple effective high quality you may more but you also get a 2:1 camcleat and on the fly rear line adjustors.

Kamikaza you're definitely missing out not flying Ozone's especially since we know you like Flysurfers you would appreciate the power jumping hang time upwind ability smoothness and quality of a kite like the Edge. Also low bar pressure.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:48 am

I guess you forgot - it was you guys I bought a couple of the CL from and retro fitted to my Speed2, Outlaw or Pyscho3 ;)
At the lake, we got a gritty kind of 'sand' that gets down the gap between the hat and the body of the CL, jamming it up good. I just make sure to check my QR releases before hooking in and launching ... then I have no problems.

The point is, it's a $500 bar - that has a crappy (IMO) QR on it ... but then, who pays retails anyway? :lol: the rest of the bar is great - I have a Turbo bar for the f.b. kites and like it fine ... but I still don't like the QR :D

Ozone Japan is pretty useless - going to try some Ozone kites when I get to NZ these hols though :thumb:

... the other problem is I forget to let go :oops: and the bar goes shooting away but I have the red hat in my fingers still :D

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:31 am

Kamikuza wrote:I guess you forgot - it was you guys I bought a couple of the CL from and retro fitted to my Speed2, Outlaw or Pyscho3 ;)
At the lake, we got a gritty kind of 'sand' that gets down the gap between the hat and the body of the CL, jamming it up good. I just make sure to check my QR releases before hooking in and launching ... then I have no problems.

The point is, it's a $500 bar - that has a crappy (IMO) QR on it ... but then, who pays retails anyway? :lol: the rest of the bar is great - I have a Turbo bar for the f.b. kites and like it fine ... but I still don't like the QR :D

Ozone Japan is pretty useless - going to try some Ozone kites when I get to NZ these hols though :thumb:

... the other problem is I forget to let go :oops: and the bar goes shooting away but I have the red hat in my fingers still :D
Forgive me if I don't remember every single customer's purchases, especially since you may be using a completely different (and real) name to make those purchases.

I'd be really keen to see some pics or a short video of the QR release actually jammed, if its just got a bit of sand in and around it, its definitely the riders responsibility to ensure that their QR is operating prior to use.

The point about paying retail, don't get it??? :o The same discounts will be available across all brands, so why make out that Ozone is any more costly than any other brand?

Opinion is one thing, but the reality is that there are several thousand of these Megatron QR's in daily use, none of the forums I read has any posts from users complaining that they don't work.

As for grabbing the red bit - don't do that! :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”