acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Uneven lines is it ok?

Postby acctx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:24 am

I have a 2011 cabrinha line set (not the flecked). Ive ridden the lines maybe 10 times now so I thought I would check to see if the front lines had stretched out or not. It turns out the red line and the center lines were still exactly the same length. But the black steering (rear) line was about 2 inches longer. I adjusted the black pigtail so the lines are the same length.

I just started kiting this year so Im not sure what is normal

1) Is it likely that the lines came this way from the factory?
2) Is it possible that the black line stretched more?
3) In adjusting the black line, did I possibly screw up the line lengths?
4) In flying with this bar I wasnt crashing the kite because of uneven lines so Im assuming that I compensated.

The main thing Im worried about is that the lines were possibly fine (the kite flew fine) and now I have screwed up the adjustment.

How much uneveness is fine in lines?

Also one other thing is that the red steering line had the wrong pigtail from the factory (it had one designed for the center lines instead).

RDM
Frequent Poster

Re: Uneven lines is it ok?

Postby RDM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:34 am

acctx wrote:How much uneveness is fine in lines?
When one rear lines longer than the other it effects the turning response of the kite, I notice stuff like this straight away... guess your either sensitive to it or just let it slide...

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 am

A difference of 2" is a LOT! Aside from being extremely annoying it could be a little dangerous because you cannot possibly have optimal control of the kite.

Sometimes a line can get stretched during an uncontrolled kitelooping situation. Or perhaps there is a defect in the line. I would inspect the entire length of line for any abnormality.

You can correct the line lengths by moving the knots on your leaders.

Compensating with the bar is possible but not ideal, especially if you are trying an tricks. I think you would be much happier and better off (for safety) if you even out the lines properly.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 am

It will throw off your control of the kite. Lines will stretch and if you do every trick on one tack only they will stretch unevenly. I reverse my bar or turn in backwards every few sessions just to keep them even.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:41 pm

They are super shitty lines mine stretch every few sessions. Hard to believe in 2011 people like Cabrinha use such shiity material when kites have gone up so much in price. The bar is over engineered in my opinion then they cinch on cheap lines, I just dont get it. As price goes up quality of materials should follow. :angryfire:

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 pm

robertovillate wrote:A difference of 2" is a LOT! Aside from being extremely annoying it could be a little dangerous because you cannot possibly have optimal control of the kite.

Sometimes a line can get stretched during an uncontrolled kitelooping situation. Or perhaps there is a defect in the line. I would inspect the entire length of line for any abnormality.

You can correct the line lengths by moving the knots on your leaders.

Compensating with the bar is possible but not ideal, especially if you are trying an tricks. I think you would be much happier and better off (for safety) if you even out the lines properly.
I have evened out the lines. I hadnt done it before so im worried that the lines were actually even and now ive made them uneven. It just seems strange that a single steering line would be stretched ( or come out of the factory) so much.

on my 2010 bar the two center lines were about 2 inches longer (havent adjusted it yet) which I would expect.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:47 pm

I dont really think the lines are more "shitty" than other lines.

It is the way most or all lines behave (a bit shitty, yes) - you can be lucky they stretch the same over time - and you can be unlucky they get uneven.

And no matter how prestretched they are - your frontlines will get longer than the rearlines over the years, so your trim will slowly change over time.
That goes for all lines :naughty:

2 inch is seen often, and I dont think you can claim "new ones" from the supplier.

And I would not be afraid because of this little stretch.

If it was 4-5 inch or more, I would say something was wrong, and not acceptable.

(just my opinion after experience since 2000).

So dont worry at all 8)

1) Is it likely that the lines came this way from the factory?
Yes, this is possible - although a bit "bad" work IMO.

2) Is it possible that the black line stretched more?
Yes, this is very likely.
But if so, it will usually stretch the first 5-10 times you ride - and then they will "stay put", meaning all stretch really really slow and about the same, over the years.

3) In adjusting the black line, did I possibly screw up the line lengths?
Nope - your kite will be fine - and no worries at all - you did exactly like all of us would do and does :thumb:

4) In flying with this bar I wasnt crashing the kite because of uneven lines so Im assuming that I compensated.
Yes, you did.
And even if you didnt compensate, you would also be able to fly the kite with a 2 inch difference - no crash because of that - but you will be able to see you hold the bar a bit off to one side (2 inch), and it would turn very different when turning right versus left - so should be compensated because of this - very annoying (but possible to ride).

So you did right, and dont worry :naughty:

:D Peter

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 pm

acctx wrote: ...
How much uneveness is fine in lines?

Also one other thing is that the red steering line had the wrong pigtail from the factory (it had one designed for the center lines instead).
When you fly your kite to Zenith, or overhead and park the kite
in ample wind ; is the Control Bar parallel to the horizon ?
(assuming the horizon is flat water)

If the bar is NOT even, then you will have LESS control of the
kite on the side that is Lowest. Now tell me WHY that would be ?

Secondly -- Drives me Nuts when a factory worker goes out-side
to finish his cannabis cigarette, then goes back to work on your
kite & Fu*ks it up !!
I worked on HG's for a living & also sold HG rides ; i always waited
till the day was Done before getting loaded & drunk !

Bille

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Well I use the word shitty, because I just started using the Cab bar, the bar I used before for more than 1.5 years lines never stretched at all. Many people I know say the Cab lines are cheap thats all. I live in Brasil and kite alot so I get to really see what holds up and what doesn´t.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:45 pm

robertovillate wrote:A difference of 2" is a LOT!
What Robertovillate said.

You don't even have to lay out lines to see a difference of 2 inches, park the kite overhead, the bar will be all tilted.

If you are worried that you made the lines uneven, just fly the kite you'll notice immediately if they are wrong.

The center lines are sometimes harder to get right, people sometimes don't see that they are backstalling their kites, or that the left or right center line is slack.

But rear lines . . . you don't have to be a rocket scientist to notice that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”