Local Beach: Pretty much anywhere in east auckland
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 07 Cabrinha Crossbow 12m, 08 Slingshot Link 9m, Decay Broadsword 142x42
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Using pulley bar with Slingshot kite/Liq. Frce cardigan vest

Postby EchoFiveOne » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:27 am

Hey all, two quick questions. Firstly I picked up an 08 slingshot link 9m for cheap recently without bar/lines. Just wondering if it's possible to use my cabrinha pulley bar (goes with my 07 12m crossbow) with it. I understand that usually if the lines are all the same length you can use a bar with any kite but as a noobie just wondering if the pulley system is going to be incompatible or muck up the kite's flying characteristics. Secondly I'm looking for a vest and a store near me has a special on the liquid force 'cardigan' vest. A quick search didn't turn up any reviews so just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this vest or liquid force gear in general. Cheers guys.

SOLO FLIGHT 2012
Rare Poster

Re: Using pulley bar with Slingshot kite/Liq. Frce cardigan

Postby SOLO FLIGHT 2012 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:20 pm

You are right about the line lenght/kite compatibility ,though the pully bar adds only complexity imo, the xbow needed them back then.
Think I would just try it out on a sandy beach in low winds see how it flies.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:05 pm

In all honesty, it sounds like you are trying to mix 2 very outdated and somewhat questionable products together, and probably gonna fly it on 5 or 6 year old lines.
Use the money you saved for the vest, helmet, and a gopro camera.

Good luck and make sure to post the video.

Thanks,
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 pm

This is an accident waiting to happen...

EchoFiveOne
Rare Poster

Postby EchoFiveOne » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:54 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:In all honesty, it sounds like you are trying to mix 2 very outdated and somewhat questionable products together, and probably gonna fly it on 5 or 6 year old lines.
Use the money you saved for the vest, helmet, and a gopro camera.

Good luck and make sure to post the video.

Thanks,
<a class="linkification-ext" href="http://www.kiteboardingtampabay.com" title="Linkification: http://www.kiteboardingtampabay.com">www.kiteboardingtampabay.com</a>
Jdizzle wrote:This is an accident waiting to happen...
As a poor student I honestly can't afford the latest and greatest kites so I have to make do with the older stuff. That being said I try not to compromise on safety (not scrimping on a vest, helmet or lessons) so if you guys honestly think these kites are dangerous well I guess I'll have to figure out something else. My understanding up until now was that the earlier bows just tended to have smaller wind ranges.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 pm

You can find deals on better kites. If you don't want to scrimp on safety then that is what you need to do. You can find last season kites for 40-60% off. Or get a demo kite that has been hardly flown. I have done both of these things to get over $1000 dollars off on complete kites.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:05 am

Honestly I'd ebay that stuff and get something good, it's only going to hold you back

EchoFiveOne
Rare Poster

Postby EchoFiveOne » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:50 am

TheJoe wrote:You can find deals on better kites. If you don't want to scrimp on safety then that is what you need to do. You can find last season kites for 40-60% off. Or get a demo kite that has been hardly flown. I have done both of these things to get over $1000 dollars off on complete kites.
What is unsafe about the older kites? Not disagreeing or anything just interested to know what features the newer kites have to make them safer. Also what do you think the cutoff should be age wise when considering kites (09, 10 etc)?
dyyylan wrote:Honestly I'd ebay that stuff and get something good, it's only going to hold you back
In what way? Are the older kites that much more difficult to deal with? I haven't flown any newer kites so I can't really compare but I've flown the Crossbow a few times while body dragging under supervision and found it quite easy to deal with. Getting rid of the link wouldn't be the end of the world, only paid NZ$40 for it cause the guy couldn't be bothered fixing a leaking bladder. Again not disagreeing just interested to know. Thanks all for your info so far.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:44 am

EchoFiveOne wrote: In what way? Are the older kites that much more difficult to deal with? I haven't flown any newer kites so I can't really compare but I've flown the Crossbow a few times while body dragging under supervision and found it quite easy to deal with. Getting rid of the link wouldn't be the end of the world, only paid NZ$40 for it cause the guy couldn't be bothered fixing a leaking bladder. Again not disagreeing just interested to know. Thanks all for your info so far.
yes, but that particular kite really blows, and there's really no point in using a pulley bar at this point. if you can, fix the bladder and sell it for more than you paid and just get something modern and good. it's worth saving up for.

Return to “Kitesurfing”