New RRD Race board for 2012

Forum for kitesurfers
stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New RRD Race board for 2012

Postby stefaans » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 pm

No sorry not at all but there will be an RRD rider in Mexico next week. super fast and has a good fin set for this board so will know soon enough.

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I was talking of the Royal sorry :oops:

last year on each step of the french championship Julien was bringing a new prototype, I had the chance to have a close look on the new k race evolution.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Pouch, I am pretty new to the 3 fin raceboards so not the person to ask. I have tried the Mikes Lab, NJS and Royal all in 3 fin but honestly can't tell you which board is better. of course i love my Royal otherwise i would get one of the other boards.

Johnny will get you on any of them. I think the bigger question at this point is what fins work the best.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 pm

well my new babies arrived today.

previously rode an AACR59 trifin, the RRD feels less manic and way more secure going broad and with minimal effort it is faster, wind was light but had full power on the 17, need to use a bigger rear fin and get used to riding a board with50 liters more volume,

so far so good though :)
IMG_1109.JPG

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RalfsB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 pm

james wrote:need to use a bigger rear fin and get used to riding a board with50 liters more volume
What fins did you use? I understand the board is sold without any fins.

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 pm

at the moment it has a pair of old North 40cm fins and a single 36 cm Chocco fin, i just needed something before i settle on either Rista Fins or some Select S12, however i have some custom fins from Italy that i i hope to try soon.

really happy so far, easy to ride up wind and across the wind, off wind is taking a bit of time to get used too but nothing too tricky.

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I dint realise at the time, but his is the new Slingshot turbine you have here!
How is upwind compared to older model?

james wrote:well my new babies arrived today.

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 pm

its still only three struts and has a simple NO pulley bridle with direct attachment for the rear lines, from putting it on the scales they have chopped HALF A KILO out of the kite through a narrower diameter LE and lighter LE bladder removal of pulleys and simplification of the bridle while still keeping the same grade of canopy and LE material and teh same kevlar scuff guards on teh LE , it is still Split strut as well which definitely aids its stiffness and rigidity.

The 2011 Turbine was a weapon in light air, very very solid as soon as it was flying well balanced and it felt incredibly powerful even when parked at the zenith, the lower aspect ration and the deeper camber to the canopy and the large LE all helped in this regard, so for teh heavy guys who wanted a park and ride kite that would pull very hard it was perfect. Whilst it was capable upwind on a race/light wind board it could overdo it slightly if you were on a twin tip with a small surface area to channel the power through, you sometimes felt that you were always fighting upwind as soon as there was a gust.

The 2012 version feels slightly more flighty and mobile in light air and needs a little more active flying to start with but as soon as you move the kite and the airspeed increases over it you are back to teh same impressive grunt as before but the difference being that it pushes much further forward without the effort through your legs to get it there, you don't need to haul in all the de-power to get it to sit forward, as soon as its moving it feels lighter on the bar and more nimble to position and any canopy flutter behind the LE has been reduced partly to a shallower entry to the foil so that it is less effected when sheeted out completely, translating into a smoother feel through the bar, it flies on a 23" bar with 27m lines as standard, if you want to really push the light wind side of things then some 3-5m extensions are a good addition to have. Because of the flatter arc to teh kite it is not ever going to be a kite looping freestyle weapon, its a big old turn when she goes round, last years could be pivoted pretty fast coming out of a transition for example. the trade off for teh twin tip guys is that there is much more boost and glide when you do jump and because it isn't constantly trying to tear you off your edge you can build some decent line tension and get up there now.

windrange is a tricky one, it feels more comfortable than before and easier and you don't get the death run scenario you had with the 2011 if it picked up that little bit too much, so far the lightest i have been out on it on a race board with 27m lines at 87kg has been 6-7kts and planing upwind and down, highest so far was maybe 16-17 at the Clacton race event, upwind was still good confirming that it does push forward well and the wingtips do spill excess power when needed.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:20 pm

well my new babies arrived today.

previously rode an AACR59 trifin, the RRD feels less manic and way more secure going broad and with minimal effort it is faster, wind was light but had full power on the 17, need to use a bigger rear fin and get used to riding a board with50 liters more volume,

so far so good though
James,
have you already logged many sessions? Have you experienced any problems with the fin boxes, such as noted in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=2375253&p=744399

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 pm

plenty of sessions and my board is fine, it was held back in Italy for a while while they checked them, as is correct. mine passed but had some alterations to the deck where the fin screws go through more to be safe than sorry and it has been fine.

when they are available to mass market there will not be any problems.

I have NO commercial connection to RRD at all i just needed a board to race on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”