swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Race board availability!

Postby swell » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:44 pm

A qouta shrinking to 50 board (to call it production for IKA events, or is it now even 30?) gives the possibility to smaller companys like Mikes Lab or AA to be in the game too, but on the other hand bigger companies can now release even more (newer) models in shorter period of time and that is pain in the ass for customers - look at formula windsurfing, the class almost died in that arms race some years ago (that was why I left this sport) where if you are not sponsored or your dady is - let's say "not rich" - there is no chance to cover the gear expenses with a new toys comming out every half a year...
If this will be the case (if not already) with kiteracing this will gonna kill the sport in it's baby-age.
On the other hand look at the current windsurfing olimpic class RSX - crapy, heavy as hell board, cheap rig, gets planing only at 12knots and costs near 6000EUR at least in our country!!! Where the formula windsurfing in camparison looks like alien technology from 22 century and wich in comparison with new kiteracing gear is absolete in very light winds... at 6-7knots they (formula boards) can't even get planing...
My point is that the gap between the current kiteracing gear and people who could and would want to use it is dramaticaly big... give the chance to catch up the development and let the sport grow...

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:30 pm

North will be available in europe within 10 days !!

1299 euros

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:39 pm

swell wrote:A qouta shrinking to 50 board (to call it production for IKA events, or is it now even 30?) gives the possibility to smaller companys like Mikes Lab or AA to be in the game too, but on the other hand bigger companies can now release even more (newer) models in shorter period of time and that is pain in the ass for customers - look at formula windsurfing, the class almost died in that arms race some years ago (that was why I left this sport) where if you are not sponsored or your dady is - let's say "not rich" - there is no chance to cover the gear expenses with a new toys comming out every half a year...
If this will be the case (if not already) with kiteracing this will gonna kill the sport in it's baby-age.
On the other hand look at the current windsurfing olimpic class RSX - crapy, heavy as hell board, cheap rig, gets planing only at 12knots and costs near 6000EUR at least in our country!!! Where the formula windsurfing in camparison looks like alien technology from 22 century and wich in comparison with new kiteracing gear is absolete in very light winds... at 6-7knots they (formula boards) can't even get planing...
My point is that the gap between the current kiteracing gear and people who could and would want to use it is dramaticaly big... give the chance to catch up the development and let the sport grow...
..but if you are doing fairly well in the races don;t you think a local shop could help you get at least some discount on the gear?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

swell wrote:A qouta shrinking to 50 board (to call it production for IKA events, or is it now even 30?) gives the possibility to smaller companys like Mikes Lab or AA to be in the game too, but on the other hand bigger companies can now release even more (newer) models in shorter period of time and that is pain in the ass for customers - look at formula windsurfing, the class almost died in that arms race some years ago (that was why I left this sport) where if you are not sponsored or your dady is - let's say "not rich" - there is no chance to cover the gear expenses with a new toys comming out every half a year...
The quota has been reduced to 30 boards.

I think it will be important to set the correct weight levels for production boards and kites to help keep the costs down. It may reduce the ultimate performance a bit but I think it is the more practical way to go.

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2373858

spacemonkey
Medium Poster

Postby spacemonkey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:35 am

@pouch: In belgium only available end of april (info from importer) Cost to fly them in by plane are to high
National championship is end of april, does this suck or does it suck?

pouch wrote:North will be available in europe within 10 days !!

1299 euros

swell
Frequent Poster

Postby swell » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:51 pm

[quote="spacemonkey"]@pouch: In belgium only available end of april (info from importer) Cost to fly them in by plane are to high

Any additional info on this event? Would like to take part at this comp!
THX

Jade
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Co2 (Oulskool Low / Medium Aspect C kites) Full Quiver
Cabrinha 5'9 s-quad
D'light Custom 6'2 Thruster

Postby Jade » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Cabrinha, came into the UK three weeks ago, I'm just getting used to mine, as johnnokeys said, it takes a bit of time to dial in the new wide boards and fin selection.

spacemonkey
Medium Poster

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 am

IKA event

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... &Itemid=53

See you there

swell wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:@pouch: In belgium only available end of april (info from importer) Cost to fly them in by plane are to high

THX

swell
Frequent Poster

Postby swell » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:38 am

spacemonkey wrote:IKA event

http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... &Itemid=53

See you there

swell wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:@pouch: In belgium only available end of april (info from importer) Cost to fly them in by plane are to high

THX
Ya thanks man, got it already and have registred ;) hopefully my gear arrives shortly so I can get used to it a bit...

pouch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: all around France
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer

Postby pouch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:33 pm

I guess you were right ... I just recieved the information that the board will not be available soon.. :angryfire:

Return to “Kitesurfing”