Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do Cabrinha Kites Suck at Looping?

Postby ChickenTikka » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:35 am

I have no problem committing to the kite loop and going full fish pole, so I'm assuming this isn't the issue.

But my cabrinha kites (12 meter convert, 8 Meter Switchblade, 5.5 meter Nomad - all 2010) really don't seem to loop very quickly like other kites do nor do they do it in a tight loop. In fact my 12 meter frequently loops so slowly and in such a loose loop that it touches the water frequently (especially when I just try it toeside on the surface).

Kiteboard Progressions just says hold it like a fishpole, which is what I do. But do I need to somehow do more? Do i need to powerup more?

The only one that seems to loop decently is the 5.5 meter which also usually drops down a lot faster. I see guys going out on Vegas kites much bigger than mine looping no problem.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Do Cabrinha Kites Suck at Looping?

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:41 am

it is a 12...they are slower than the loops you see of those pros on 9 or 7s !

And a C kite should loop tighter, different shape!

Sheep
Medium Poster

Postby Sheep » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:58 am

You may want to look at shorter lines... i had an old 2008 8m SB and hated the delay in the turn and loose feel of it... after i reduced the lines 5m's the kite was performing like a star and for after rocked my world... ive since found other kite brands with long lines have similar attributes so it seems the shorter the better

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Line length does make a difference. I never use maker's stock lines.
I start at around 20m (q-power pro) and have three extensions : 2m, 4m, and 6m depending on kite size/shape and wind conditions. :!:

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Cabs are not known as fast (tight) looping kites - at least the one's I've tried... altho jumps are good.

Many things makes influence on looping - shape, pivot points, AoAs etc... roughly described the kite that can change tip's AoA quicker would loop faster.

You will loop your kite quicker if you'll shorten back lines. Then again you will back stall it faster...

I found great fun looping the new delta & C hybrids recently. ;) Smaller kite normally means faster loops.

M2C
ChickenTikka wrote:I have no problem committing to the kite loop and going full fish pole, so I'm assuming this isn't the issue.

But my cabrinha kites (12 meter convert, 8 Meter Switchblade, 5.5 meter Nomad - all 2010) really don't seem to loop very quickly like other kites do nor do they do it in a tight loop. In fact my 12 meter frequently loops so slowly and in such a loose loop that it touches the water frequently (especially when I just try it toeside on the surface).

Kiteboard Progressions just says hold it like a fishpole, which is what I do. But do I need to somehow do more? Do i need to powerup more?

The only one that seems to loop decently is the 5.5 meter which also usually drops down a lot faster. I see guys going out on Vegas kites much bigger than mine looping no problem.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:13 pm

if you are jumping and then looping, the kite matters a lot but if you are still on the water and downlooping the technique matters just as much. after you pull the bar and fishpole it, do not turn the board right away or you will slacken the lines and slow the loop. you need to go forward for a bit until the kite starts to pull you the other way and then turn the board sharply. the tighter you keep the lined the tighter, faster the loop.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Just picked up a switchblade 9 and it'd be fine to loop. I can't really imagine looping my 12 though unless it was a big jump, it's such a slow kite I'd be afraid of it not making it all the way around

kids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dhalareu, saetra
Gear: charles delau pro 130
SB2 12
SB3 8

Postby kids » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Í´m not that in to looping but my old switchblade 12m had def. not any problem to loop. ok at that time I didn´t do so powered loops but I can´t imagine it would be any problems.. one ting for sure is, if you´re to depowered it can be a problem as the kite gets to slow, power up and the 12m should be fast enough.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 pm

What are you looking for, regarding a "good looping" kite ?

Some seem to focus on a kite that turns fast ? :roll:

And this is typically NOT a good looping kite, if you want to do awesome powered kiteloops :(

But good for beginners of course :wink:

And a pivot turning kite can also loop REALLY fast compared to even good C kites - so even easier to loop :thumb:
But NO power in this loop - so why do it at all ?

As I assume the fun with kitelooping is the sheer power and horizontal speed you get while doing it untill it catches you somewhat (or not...) :naughty:

So IMO it is important to point out what one think is a good looping kite ?

Very very individual.

Is it a tight looping one as the only demand ?
Is it a powerful one ? (which goes in the other direction than the first demand)
Is it a C style one, or an SLE style more pivot and easy ?

Some of the good C kite freestylers, prefer the kites turn with a medium radius in fact, as the kite would be too powerless if tight turning (and it does not look good either - it sucks compared)

But even slow 12-14m2 kites can loop relatively easy, all of them, that is for sure :rollgrin:

Sorry - have not flown the Cabs so dont know about these...

:D Peter

konetoniolo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Varzinha
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Wave
Gear: 2010 Cabrinha Switchblade 12m & 9m

2009 Underground FLX 135x41

Postby konetoniolo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, my 2010 9m SB loops really well... I learned looping on it...

Its just training... But C kites loop better...

But i think yours 8m SB its just fine to loop, just practice, hit the water a few times, keep trying, and then you will learn....

No kite will loop for itself, so dont thing changing kites will make alot easyer to loop..

Hope i helped somehow

Return to “Kitesurfing”