Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

smaler fins on a sector 60 ?

Forum for kitesurfers
mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

smaler fins on a sector 60 ?

Postby mattthieu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:25 pm

hi

i'm new to the sport, but, already in it deep !

and, i have a question for you, racers :

i found a huge deal on a sector 60 board ( it's the first version i think, from 2010 ) the guy is seeling it to me for 549 dollars, shiping include, it's new ( from a shop )..

i was going to buy it but, someone pointed me out that it is an old model of board, i should better buy the sector v3 instead ( only twice the price, héhé ).

ok so, i was going to buy it, but, one question, the fins are huge, and, in order to jide more easely and not get stucked in the seeweeds, i was thinking about getting some smaler fins for it to, the days i'm not into long race rides !!

so, from your experience, does it works ? can i downsize the fins ? can i get rounded fins ( like surf fins ?) and, i know, i would loose upwind, but, what size of fins could i get and stay as able to upwind as say, a twin tip ??

woudl dowsizing really improove jibing ? or would i loose all control ? :o

thanks in advance guys !!

oh, i was going to use that board for light wind board, medium wind racer and i got a TT for meduim and hight wind fun !! i weigt 85 kg....

john-brasil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: pirangi natal brazil
Style: racing
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: smaler fins on a sector 60 ?

Postby john-brasil » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:43 pm

if you want to be up to date buy a 69board!
2011 or 2012.
Huge difference and much easier to ride!
Also to resell would be no problem.
The older versions are not worth a dime because nobody needs them any more,,

Good luck.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:50 am

mattthieu,

Yes, you can use mini-Tuttle to FCS conversion boxes to downsize the fins. I found it works pretty good for weeds, but you do lose some upwind ability. For me, it was still better than a huge tt though. Airush makes weeds fins too. They work pretty good, but if the weeds are really bad, it won't matter. I learned to do little "pop" jumps to clear the weeds every so often.

Page 3 of the new Sector thread has pics of both the conversion boxes and the weed fins. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374871&start=20

The only thing with the V1 is being careful to not tighten the fins down so much they dig into the bottom deck. Some of the fin boxes weren't snug enough and required cranking on the bolt. One band aid approach was to put some type of thickish clear tape on the bottom deck where the fins extend past the boxes.

Good luck.

Droffats

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:01 am

thanks for your replys

i wont ride it in real races anyway, more for kite sailing kind of things !

and, i wont resell it neighter !

that fin box problem scares me ! is it really that bad ?

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:12 am

mattthieu wrote:thanks for your replys

i wont ride it in real races anyway, more for kite sailing kind of things !

and, i wont resell it neighter !

that fin box problem scares me ! is it really that bad ?
Matthieu;
Check the price for the weed fins; 250$ a set, which adds 500$ to your board .... might make it more expensive. I had one (v1 60) and I really loved it. I am still evaluating getting another one since it is such a nice board but where I ride there are a lot of rocks under the water and quite some weeds. I had gotten the weed fins but then it really changed the behaviour of the board a lot, you dont track so good upwind and the board is a lot less stable. I didn't like it.

Jules

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:16 am

We sell weed fins for a lot less than that. USD. I don't know where you are and maybe that makes a difference, but the Airush weed fins in the US will less than $250 for all four.

- Droffats

www.adventurekiteboarding.com

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:35 am

Painting some epoxy resin on to build up the sloped ends of the mini-tuttle fins might help solve the bad fit problem.

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:39 pm

thanks again for replys !!

after thinking it trought, the real question is, knowing i'm a water kite beginner ( experience on snow ) but knowing whast i like about kiting in the wate ris cruising around, would you think that that old ( but new ) sector 60 for 550 dollars would be a good start into directional boards ?

does someone knows if it's strong enought to jump it ? 5 or 6 feets ? or will it break landing ?

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:08 pm

mattthieu wrote:would you think that that old ( but new ) sector 60 for 550 dollars would be a good start into directional boards ?
Yes. Just make sure the board is solid white color on the bottom (V1.5), not patchy white/black (V1). This is perhaps the easiest directional board out there. Stable and floaty which makes it great for learning to jibe, even with the biggest fins. It has narrower tail than later versions that is turn friendly and easier to sink. Just avoid kicking your feet up in direction of the fins when water starting. I windsurfed before so I did not do that, but some guys had to relearn their moves when getting on board or suffer scratches ;-)
As for fins, if you have lots of weeds, grassy stuff, it will be a problem. I can cut thru pieces of kelp at speed, it is sea grass that get caught on fins. Bought set of weed fins from Daryl at Oceanextremesports.com for $200 plus shipping some time ago. They do work for sea grass but upwind performance is down. Other option is to find a set of Ligthwave quad surf fins that have the mini-tuttle bases. I bought those first, but did not really like them that much so spent more $$ for original weed fins.
does someone knows if it's strong enough to jump it ? 5 or 6 feets ? or will it break landing ?
Well, do not expect to get replacement if you brake it, but it jumps really well, just lend softly ;-). Mine got run over couple cars and still works. It is a big board so bad landing can hurt you as easy as the board - be careful.

Take a plunge, you'll love it

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:32 pm

thanks a lot !

i'll check for the versions !

so you tell me, white botom is ok white and grey not ?

lack off coating ??

Return to “Kitesurfing”