newind
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

championship race

Postby newind » Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm

well!
We can say with certainty that in 2012
kiterace win championships in a standard board, hooray!!!!

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil
Been thanked: 0

Re: championship race

Postby Al-Kite-A » Wed May 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Yeah I give it a 1 in 3 that it will be a Mike's Lab :)
I know if you where my 3rd grade teacher you would want to see my work so here it is:
(Johnny, Adam, Burnie = 1)

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest

Postby swell » Wed May 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Al-Kite-A wrote:Yeah I give it a 1 in 3 that it will be a Mike's Lab :)
I know if you where my 3rd grade teacher you would want to see my work so here it is:
I could bet that Johny and Adam would win every race on any good production board out there...

newind
Medium Poster

Postby newind » Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm

swell wrote:
Al-Kite-A wrote:Yeah I give it a 1 in 3 that it will be a Mike's Lab :)
I could bet that Johny and Adam would win every race on any good production board out there...
not true! with this they will never win anything
has already been cut off ...

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Thu May 03, 2012 12:43 am

That's a 3 in 3 chance.

So what was wrong with that newind board? Rocker line, outline, rail shape, foil thickness, material selection / build?

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu May 03, 2012 8:14 am

probably because it doesn't have an IKA sticker on it….

what i do wonder about is how essentially hand built Mikes Lab boards for example ( as we get told they are by the owners) can fall within the production rule numbers, ok they agree to build 30 boards all the same but in elite level sport some things are more equal than others and then after the 30 have been done you could theoretically have a new design that you build another 30 of.

How do the IKA keep a lid on things like this?

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster

Postby Al-Kite-A » Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 pm

james wrote:probably because it doesn't have an IKA sticker on it….

what i do wonder about is how essentially hand built Mikes Lab boards for example ( as we get told they are by the owners) can fall within the production rule numbers, ok they agree to build 30 boards all the same but in elite level sport some things are more equal than others and then after the 30 have been done you could theoretically have a new design that you build another 30 of.

How do the IKA keep a lid on things like this?
The way I am seeing it is Mike and Alex are the only one actually producing boards. Nils just got some of his boards out there so I can count him in as well.
All other boards are on hold because none of the brands seem to know how to work with their Chinese manufacturer on race boards. So the ones that are out are "recalled" so how many have they actually produced?

Mike makes his boards in batch of 10ish at a time in THE LAB. He did the required registration with IKA and the boards meet the regulations. So what do you think he is getting away with. If you change the design you need to register that design.

I also notice a major difference between the 3 I list here and most kite brands. They are focus on building race boards and have been for a long time.

Question: what do the current Kiteboard Course Race World Champions, Current Formula Windsurf World Champ and the outright sailing speed recorder holder have in common?
Answer all their boards where made here: Image

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster

Postby Al-Kite-A » Thu May 03, 2012 5:28 pm

gbleck wrote:That's a 3 in 3 chance.
Should be 1 OF 3 :)

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Al,

I have no idea what he is getting away with, and neither was I accusing him of it, i was just asking (in the wrong place probably) what safeguards the IKA put in place to ensure that boards are consistent, either for the brands or the custom guys.

i am well versed in what Mike and his designs have achieved and have utmost respect so calm down on the fan boy bit maybe?

i have no real love for North at all but i am sure that they have been producing production race boards since 2009 so you should probably add them to the magic three on your list.

the issue is the new factory that is being used currently, not what they are being asked to build.

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster

Postby Al-Kite-A » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

James,
I am not so much a fan boy but more of an SF local that sticks up for the local crew. Fan boys for the most part have no vested interest in brands they love.
I rode other non-production boards for racing but ordered one of Mike's once I saw that there was going to possible be a production rule for our local races and knew Mike’s board was going to be IKA registered. Also in 2011 it was clear that his design was a major step forward for raceboards. I am glad our races are still open to all boards.
Rode Nils new board the other day and like it too. I also have seen that the RRD and Royal boards can be competitive once they work out the production issues.

In 2009 North’s top racers used Nils’ boards so not sure I would count it as a raceboard :)

I agree do away with the production rule and just move to a box rule.

Return to “Kitesurfing”