Gear: PL: venom 13 -19; Synergy 10-15; F_arc 16
FS: P3 13
Flyboard S, nobile666
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

February with a little kid?!

Postby Marcodk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Soon is time to become father, and together with the mother (who is danish and like to plan in advance :) )we are thinking about having a nice travel somewhere when the kid will be old enough to do it, and she still on parental leave. The idea is to go in February when the little kid will be 6 months old and the winter at its worst in Denmark.

The place should be first of all baby friendly (no malaria or other disease areas) , a good kitespot for intermediate level, with a lot of wind in february, warm and possibly not too much turistic. The idea is to rent an apartment for one month there. I would like to avoid to have a car.

I researched a bit and so far the best alternative i found was Boracay in the Philippines, but everywhere I look i see wonderful places, so can anyone suggest anywhere after it's own experience?

Thank you very much in advance!
Marco

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: February with a little kid?!

Postby mede » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Marco,

We did that when our daughter was 4 Months old, also in February.
We took a campervan down to Andalusia.
In Feb, it's just totally beautiful. Had some great kite sessions in Tarifa, and as well in cabo de gata and in Malaga.

An alternative with even more consistent wind could be cabo verde (Boa Vista, or even better, one of the less touristy locations).

There was a post recently here on kiteforum about a new island. If you go for one month, it could be worth it.

Have fun

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 am

Cape Town :thumb:

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:21 pm

You should'nt take baby goats kitesurfing? :lol:

I'm also a new dad and my baby girl will be 11 weeks old when we get to El Medano in Tenerife this weekend.

It is a cracking little town with great places to eat and very family friendly plus you can get a nice apartment with large terrace overlooking the kite beach so baby and mum can watch dad do his stuff. The shape of the bay also means that your wife can go to a beach close by with the baby or in town (in sight of kite beach) and not get blown over - very important as when I've been to not so sheltered places it drives my wife crazy!

The wind won't be as predicatable that time of year but I know this winter (stays warm there all year) they had wind for most of it. There are other places to go in the world but being a new dad I would never take a baby on a long haul flight so the Canary islands are ideal?

I have been to lots of places kitesurfing but always go back (8th trip now) as my wife loves it and it has a cool vibe.

Laters

John

susanmg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC/NJ

Postby susanmg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 pm

I know a Danish couple with two kids (age 3 and 5) who had a great time in St. Lucia last Feb. I think they stayed at Coconut Bay and said the kiting was great and there was even day care for the kids (so both of them could go kiting together).

Marcodk
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, Denmark
Style: freeride
Gear: PL: venom 13 -19; Synergy 10-15; F_arc 16
FS: P3 13
Flyboard S, nobile666

Postby Marcodk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:31 am

Thank you very much everybody..this calls for heavy thinking :naughty:

@susanmg: would it be possible to have a contact for the danish couple? I'm sure they must be on the forum also here

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 am

Hey there -

St Lucia is a beautiful island - the other spot is up the top at a beach called Cas en Bas. There's a hotel on site called Cotton Bay Village. The spot is really really good - and uncrowded - albeit no real waves. February is prime time for wind. Hotel is pretty nice, great big pool, big child friendly suites - not too expensive if you hunt out discounts. PM me if you want a rum down of the good and the bad.

Martinique (right above St Lucia) is also great.....but the big benefit is that unlike other Caribbean islands, it has proper european standard hospitals and health care (the island is a principality of France) which counts for a lot if you're travelling with a baby. There is a fantastic hotel there called Cap est Lagoon Resort, on the kite spot, but its really spendy unfortunately (well, for me anyway, your budget may be different). Im sure there are other places, just havent been there for a few years.

Good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”