Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None

Line length

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi ya'll, I ride the Switch Methods (12/9) and currently have 1 bar with 23m lines (20m+3m extension Switch lines), I have a second bar that I'd like to keep with shorter ones for more powered up days. Switch recommends 20m, and in a way makes sense, take off the 3m and there you go.

But here's my dilema, switch is out of their 20m lines, and kiteboarding.com has 18m LF lines for a sick price (http://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp? ... lineset18m)

Will the 2m difference make that much of a difference? obviously these are manufacturers recommended settings, but what's the deal with lines? Shorter lines less low end more kite turning speed right? But at what point is just ridiculous short.

I live in Florida, never really get's consistently that windy, well sometimes, but not for the most part.

As this may seem obvious and ridiculous to some, keep in mind I'm enthusiastic about the sport and still learning. Any ideas? Care to school me on the matter?

Oh, 1 more thing, anyone has any experience with LF lines? any good? Switch lines aren't really that good, They stretch crazy, Otherwise I'm gona just get me some PKS lines.

Tnx in advanced.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Line length

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:17 pm

18m lines are can be great, esp in waves where your changing direction quick and want the kite to do the same. The only time you wont like em as much is when the wind drops to the lower end of the kites range. If you save that bar for the days when your sure there is enough wind then they are super fun. You wont boost as high, but you also feel really secure in gusty windy weather.

No experience with LF lines.

If they are a bargain, go for it.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Brent4336 wrote:If they are a bargain, go for it.
$49.99, can't beat that

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:49 pm

I already ordered 2 sets... Don't know how many they have in stock at this price, but if you want them, I wouldn't wait on it. I have seen the 2010/2011 18M LF lines for $159 (not sure what year these are, but it doesn't matter to me).

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:03 pm

pixelpedro wrote: Will the 2m difference make that much of a difference? obviously these are manufacturers recommended settings, but what's the deal with lines? Shorter lines less low end more kite turning speed right? But at what point is just ridiculous short.

I live in Florida, never really get's consistently that windy, well sometimes, but not for the most part.

As this may seem obvious and ridiculous to some, keep in mind I'm enthusiastic about the sport and still learning. Any ideas? Care to school me on the matter?

Oh, 1 more thing, anyone has any experience with LF lines? any good? Switch lines aren't really that good, They stretch crazy, Otherwise I'm gona just get me some PKS lines.

Tnx in advanced.
There is no limit. I have used lines ranging from 10 meters to 100 meters. Here is the basic idea for long lines: Close to the ground wind is slow. Higher up it is fast. But it's not the same everywhere. That is the wind gradient. So some locations you get a lot of extra pull with extra long lines. But somewhere around 30 or 40 meters you lose so much friction from the lines it doesn't become worth it. Long lines are great for light wind conditions because of the wind gradient.

Here is the basic idea for short lines: The shorter your lines the faster the kite APPEARS to turn. It does not turn faster of course. But because the angle the kite is sweeping out is greater due to the smaller radius it seems like your kite moves faster. So with 10 meter lines instead of 1 power stroke to get going you might use 3 or 4 power strokes. Kite loops are a lot more fun with short lines, your kite appears bigger in the sky, and when people take a video or photo of you, it's easier to include the kite in the shot, the kite seems to move faster, everything looks nicer.

But the kite does NOT turn faster. It's easy to trick yourself into thinking the kite is turning faster but it doesn't turn faster, the characteristics of the kite are the same, all that happens is when you turn the kite and it's far away it looks like it's just moving a few inches, and when it's closer to you it looks like it turns meters, but it's just how close it is so it looks bigger and seems to move faster.

Short lines will yank you around a bit more, long lines are stretchy and have a longer lag time. So for a long line when you begin your turn with your control bar you have to wait longer for the input on the bar to get to your kite. But once it gets to the kite, the kite turns the same speed, so turning seems faster with shorter lines.

2 or 3 meters difference in lines is barely noticeable. I think it would be more useful if the lines came standard at 15 meters and you had 7 meter extensions.

All lines are made of the same stuff, dyneema sk-75 or spectra, it's high strength ultra high molecule polyethylene. The only difference is some lines are a bit closer to 3mm and have a breaking strength of 800 pounds and other lines are closer to 2mm and have a breaking strength of 600 pounds, and some have a bit of coating on them to reduce abrasion, but it's all the same stuff.

I think you'll be going to be happy with the 18m so you get a good spread between your shortest and longest lines and can adjust the kite more to your liking.
Last edited by edt on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Holy cow, tnx EDT, really appreciate taking the time to explain things. :thumb: :thumb:

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:09 pm

So... is not like my kite came with 23 meeter lines, I need to stick with that length for optimal performance, correct? is not like the kite flies better in this particular wind gradient

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 pm

pixelpedro wrote:So... is not like my kite came with 23 meeter lines, I need to stick with that length for optimal performance, correct?
Not necessarily, it depends on the wind conditions. Experiment until you find what works best for your beach and your conditions.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 pm

edt wrote:Not necessarily, it depends on the wind conditions. Experiment until you find what works best for your beach and your conditions.
Gotcha, tnx a lot.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 pm

pixelpedro wrote:
edt wrote:Not necessarily, it depends on the wind conditions. Experiment until you find what works best for your beach and your conditions.
Gotcha, tnx a lot.
In my experience, going below 20m can radically be felt.

I once tried waveriding for a longer period, with 17m lines.

Did not work for me - way too on/off and no "softener" and did not work well.

(Should be said it was long time ago)

But 19 and 20 and 21 or 22m works awesome for an allround wave length for me for most kitesizes.
I dont use longer lines for bigger kites and reverse, like some do.

Very individual, I know (some use short lines always, with small kites in lots of wind).

So you might find the 18m a bit weird maybe ? And maybe not.

But if it seems too short - you can just add the 3m extensions :naughty:

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”