Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help - Shops

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help - Shops

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:17 am

james wrote:well the GPS wasn't lying.. i can see if he can put the file up?

the other thing is the standard fins are simply not the same performance, you have said yourself that when you used different fins it changed performance a lot. we are sailing this afternoon and he now has some bigger fins, so we will see what happens.
I thought the stock fins were 42's and 37? I have not measured tho.

Granted the LE are not as sharp, but still 8-10 degrees is a lot. Just note I am not saying it didn't happen. You know all the stuff factors in like straps placement, and pressure on the fins. I can understand that you who is not used to the board and set up will have a difference in performance, but your buddy shouldn't perform better on your board without there being something a little off. Oh well.
:-)

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 am

hey its cool i know what you were meaning, his stock fins are 37.5, he has now got 42 front and 38/40 rear.

so that WILL help, we only had the one GPS so the data was from him riding both boards,

hows the water over your way? you getting out plenty?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm

james wrote:hey its cool i know what you were meaning, his stock fins are 37.5, he has now got 42 front and 38/40 rear.

so that WILL help, we only had the one GPS so the data was from him riding both boards,

hows the water over your way? you getting out plenty?
Never getting out enough with the raceboard, but get quite a bit of surfboard riding. I had a raceboard session yesterday started nailing ducktacks. :-) :thumb:

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby g0nz0 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:24 am

Hey guys - I'm James' mate with the Venturi. Standard fins were all 37.5 with a bit of cant on the front ones. Very easy to ride but just not enough to get the board to unstick & go upwind properly. TBH naish should either supply some bigger fins with this board or make it cheaper & let the rider choose.

Have got the 2011 north fins (talons) now. 42 front 38 rear, 0 cant. Makes a HUGE difference. The board gets going earlier & points way higher upwind on the GPS, putting it back in contention for racing. Doesn't seem any harder to ride off the wind either. Proof will be when we go out & race next time :D

The front fins (as James says) are placed further aft on the venturi than most boards. I think this makes the off wind handling a bit easier than most, ie reaching at speed is very comfortable. Downside is it feels like it takes more 'effort' to push it hard upwind, where as the Temavento just naturally points up as soon as you're moving, almost!

My only other comment on the Naish is about the weight. I don't know how re-enforced its supposed to be... but they should seriously ditch the 'teak decking' & build the thing with carbon. Its meant for racing, not looking at.

Dan

Return to “Kitesurfing”