Forum for kitesurfers
stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which new raceboard to buy?

Postby stefaans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 pm

its just my opinion.

I believe Mike's boards are the best by far not because of Mike but because of his rider input. He has the best riders out there and when you have all these guys riding 7 days a week training giving you feedback its tough to match.
These guys are the ones that keep changing the boards keep testing fin after fin after fin so if somebody comes and ask me the question asked in this forum which is which board to buy there is no doubt in my mind to suggest the Mike board. It's and honest opinion based on fact and hard work i see from these guys.
Any company out there can just go pop out a board but for them to actually produce something good is a one in a million.
Mike has a production board now so there are no more excuses on the 1 year waiting list issue.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:05 pm

the constant testing and changes that you make reference too? how does that fit into the 'identical production board rules' that the ML riders have been competing on all year since they were IKA stamped. Aren't all the boards supposed to be the same so what is that they are changing in the testing? excluding fins that is..

or is all that work going into the production board? its also still not available anywhere with no prices/distribution info either so anyone wanting a 'Mike' is still screwed sadly.

Team USA will undoubtedly do damn well at the worlds and the team training ethos that they have has put them way out there, will the gap be closed soon?

put good riders on good gear and let them train and test with a receptive and talented shaper in a competitive environment and yep they will produce good gear and even better results.

its only the mens fleet that the Mikes have been cleaning up in though…whats the story with that? are there US based girls who are going to bring it to the like of Steph Bridge and the others?

Jimmy Mazzanti
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: freeride wave
Gear: mine
Brand Affiliation: Sabfoil.com

Postby Jimmy Mazzanti » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:35 pm

stefaans wrote:its just my opinion.

I believe Mike's boards are the best by far not because of Mike but because of his rider input. He has the best riders out there and when you have all these guys riding 7 days a week training giving you feedback its tough to match.
These guys are the ones that keep changing the boards keep testing fin after fin after fin so if somebody comes and ask me the question asked in this forum which is which board to buy there is no doubt in my mind to suggest the Mike board. It's and honest opinion based on fact and hard work i see from these guys.
Any company out there can just go pop out a board but for them to actually produce something good is a one in a million.
Mike has a production board now so there are no more excuses on the 1 year waiting list issue.

If you come to the worlds in Cagliari, you can test that " one in a milion" and make your written considerations here.

TMV has a sponsor tent in the event area with two 2013 board FREE to TEST

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 pm

anybody keeping score.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Hope we get a board/fin list for the gold fleet, would be interesting to see how the boards shake out.

Jimmy Mazzanti
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: freeride wave
Gear: mine
Brand Affiliation: Sabfoil.com

Postby Jimmy Mazzanti » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:42 pm

stefaans wrote:Hope we get a board/fin list for the gold fleet, would be interesting to see how the boards shake out.
this is what I remember

Mens Medal Race Results after three races:

John Heineken (USA), 4 pts.... ML + Tectonics T43k
Adam Koch (USA), 6 pts ... ML + Rista
Julien Kerneur (FRA), 13 pts .... RRD
Riccardo Leccese (ITA), 13 pts.... ML + Rista
Maxime Nocher (FRA), 14 pts ....North
Bryan Lake (USA), 16 pts ... ML + Tectonics Talon
Florian Gruber (GER), 19 pts .... North
Olivier Dansin (FRA), 24 pts ... North
Dave Robertson (NZL), 26 pts ... NJS
Wilson Veloso (BRA), 30 pts .... Aguera

Womens Medal Race Results after three races:
Erika Heineken (USA), 4pts.... ML + Tectonics T43k
Steph Bridge (GBR), 5pts ... North
Caroline Adrien (FRA), 10 pts ... Aguera
Nayara Licariao (BRA), 13 pts ... North + Tectonics T43k
Christine Boenniger (GER), 15 pts ... Royal
Elena Kalinina (RUS), 19 pts ... Temavento + Tectonics T43k (youth WC)
Katja Roose (NED), 22 pts Airush
Alice Brunacci (ITA), 28 pts ... North
Lilian de Geus (NED), 29 pts ....North
Justina Sellers (NZL), 30 pts ... Aguera

davekitesurf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Malgrat de Mar, Barcelona (spain)
Style: Kite Racing
Gear: Lab70 - Edge (2012) 17 13 9 7
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davekitesurf » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 am

Hi Jimmy, I guess TMV RC70 stands for TemaVento.

I own a Lab70 (not a custom one, but I believe they are very similar) and have also tried the TMV RC70 and my comparison is as follows:

- In light winds performance are very similar. A guy with a TMV RC70 could bit a Lab70 depending on the rest of conditions (riders ability, rest of the gear, tactics, etc). TMV has a very good upwind angle.

- the stronger the winds the better the Lab 70 is against the TMV RC70.

Why is this so? I believe the Lab70 is designed for balance, confort, racebility. Everything gets easier on a Mike's Lab. On the other hand the TMV RC70 is an extrem design. Less 'raceble' (I do not know how to spell this word, I heard it from one of the top guys) only performance, you 've got to be carefull all the time. A mistake of yours (specially downwind) and you are history. With Mike's Lab you just concentrate on the race course, etc. You do not need to worry about the board. You know she will behave the best way possible, all the time, even in the craziest downwind leg with waves and strong & gusty winds.

Another difference is the balance against the fins. The feeling is different. May be due to the tail design differences. I like the feeling of riding the fins better in the Lab 70. It gets a little tricky with the TMV. I personally do not enjoy that much riding boards that no not allow big canting angles (3-4degrees) and work better with little canting (0-1 degrees).

The last thought about TMV is that I would move the widest point of the board a little bit forward (just a little ahead of the front footstrap insert). The TMV design reminds me of a windsurfing extrem designing trend, the time where all volume and width came all the way back. I don't know how you guys would call it in english. It was not bad, but at the end the width and volume distribution came back to a more normal position. That's what I would do with the TMV since I believe kiteboards and more sensitive to outline designs than windsurfing boards.

Any way, the TMV is a good and enjoyable board.

Best regards,

David

alexv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: tarifa

Postby alexv » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Jimmy Mazzanti wrote:
stefaans wrote:Hope we get a board/fin list for the gold fleet, would be interesting to see how the boards shake out.
Much interesting to see whole fleet and results by broard/brand from Cagliari

left column - final position from 1 to 10, 11 to 20 etc.

numbers in each cell - number of boards finishing in each group (1-10, 11-2- etc)

139 - total amount of boards in the list.

didn't count newwind, underground and other single boards.

Chart shows only most popular boards.
Attachments
chart.jpg
chart.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
boards.jpg
boards.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 2617 times

Gebi
Medium Poster

Postby Gebi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:34 pm

You can get Mike's Lab Race boards made in Thailand by Cobra- as it is a molded board and an exact copy of the Mike's Lab "Production" Mike Zajicek makes by hand.

Weight is very close as well. Hieneken raced a board off the rack built by Zajicek and the production boards are very close in weight and feel very stiff and strong when you sail them.

By the way the Mike's Lab 70 cm wide shape- has not changed in over 2.5 years as it is a registered production board. The board build at the cobra factory is from a Mike's Lab board, so its the same board in shape.

Contact Chip Wasson as he is distributing the ML's along with Johnny Hieneken athe the three of them started the mass production company to produce the 70cm wide Mike's Lab Production board

Tell em Gebi sent you...

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:22 pm

alexv wrote:
left column - final position from 1 to 10, 11 to 20 etc.

Wow, thanks for the compilation!
By the way, the top ten is incomplete - it's missing the Aguera used by my compatriot Wilson Veloso.

Return to “Kitesurfing”