Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tacking Technique

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Tacking Technique

Postby ronnie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:28 am

For anyone wanting to see the jump tack done well, this video from a year ago shows Ollie Bridge doing some neat ones.

Everyone will be copying the top 3 guys though, so I expect the race tack and sheeting with one hand while steering with the other will be the norm in top level racing.

j0nes
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Windfinder.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby j0nes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 am

I am trying to do roll tacks, but I am only able to do them well when I have enough power in the kite. However I struggle to do roll tacks when I am underpowered. What are the key points for doing roll tacks underpowered?

Jonas

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ktouhey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 pm

j0nes wrote:I am trying to do roll tacks, but I am only able to do them well when I have enough power in the kite. However I struggle to do roll tacks when I am underpowered. What are the key points for doing roll tacks underpowered?

Jonas
focus on kite timing.
keep your weight centered over the board.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 am

All these different terms confuse me. I thought we had established
Tack and Duck tacks and the words to use. :-)

Re what is better?
I dunno I've seen people do jump tacks (regular tacks or just tacks) really well, and there was no stopping the board, it went straight upwind, the rider gained ground.

Obviously one can be better than the other, but if you're really good at one, you are probably better off using that until you are great the other type.

For the duck tacks, if you are underpowered, loop the kite. The advantage of that is that you then also come out with no line twist...drawback it will pull deeper in the window and your upwindability might be a little off for a second...but I guess better than losing speed?

I dunno.

Return to “Kitesurfing”