*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm
Posts: 60
Which one is better and why? i heard one is better for flatter water and another for chopier.


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:54 am 
Online
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Posts: 1123
drewkite wrote:
Which one is better and why? i heard one is better for flatter water and another for chopier.


http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2377086

Check the comments in the Youtube video of that post.

Round the back (you face the wind) is faster, but harder to get right it seems.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm
Posts: 60
davesails7 wrote:
drewkite wrote:
Which one is better and why? i heard one is better for flatter water and another for chopier.


http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2377086

Check the comments in the Youtube video of that post.

Round the back (you face the wind) is faster, but harder to get right it seems.


Round the back is the one you never give the back to the nose of the board no?
Im wanting to learn as much i can about course racing and be competitive since i have a good sailing backround :) Great sport!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:38 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Posts: 923
I think when you say Backward Tack, you mean the Duck Tack and Forward Tack is you face down wind while the board turns under the feet.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:51 pm 
Online
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:36 pm
Posts: 1123
This gets confusing. We need some consistent terminology.

I think everyone calls this one a Roll Tack because it is like a backroll:


Then the other one is the Duck Tack?:


Roll tack is round the back of the board.
Duck tack is round the front of the board.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm
Posts: 60
davesails7 wrote:
This gets confusing. We need some consistent terminology.

I think everyone calls this one a Roll Tack because it is like a backroll:


Then the other one is the Duck Tack?:


Roll tack is round the back of the board.
Duck tack is round the front of the board.

Thanks so my question is if whats the differnce?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:36 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:11 pm
Posts: 28
Ducktack:




Shuvit or surfboard or every other term tack:



Watch the body of the rider, ducktack the body goes the same way as the nose of the board. Shuvit tack the body goes the opposite way of the nose of the board.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:32 am
Posts: 87
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand
Roll tacks are faster and if done right you can prettymuch stay on the plane. Wouldn't see any top guys doing duck tacks/ forward tacks


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: forward tacks vs. backward tacks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:12 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:18 pm
Posts: 60
Bradn wrote:
Roll tacks are faster and if done right you can prettymuch stay on the plane. Wouldn't see any top guys doing duck tacks/ forward tacks

Yes thats right . Thats why in the video bryan does the roll tack so yo just gotta practice it alot


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group