Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Damien LeRoy Racing Worlds 2012 Blog

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm

"Day 1" Course Racing World Championships

A beautiful start to the World Championships with lighter winds and 197 riders ready to fight it out. I had a interesting day as in the first race Brian Lake and myself, Port shot the fleet taking a nice lead on the pack. I slipped off my board on a jibe and dropped to 4th. Second race rounded the second lap in 3rd and went off the other direction of the group, thinking it would pay off, ended up in a header that crushed me as I had to turn and see the whole fleet above me!!· ahhhhh· The things you learn!· Then in the last race I met in a nice kite tangle, Olympian Gold Medalist in Windsurfing Dorian.· As we swam in the water I can only say he was a class act.· He came up later and we had a few laughs.· If he is not a great representation for windsurfing I don't know what is.· I was honored to meet him, maybe not so much in a Protest or kite tangle, but he is a great person and was happy to see him killing it in the race. His future looks very very fast for Kite racing.

Damo
Attachments
img_1394_thumb_mini.jpg
img_1394_thumb_mini.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: Damien LeRoy Racing Worlds 2012 Blog

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:30 pm

“Day 2” Course Racing World Championships

The wind came in strong today as competitors were on 13 meter kites down to 9 meter kites. It was a great day of racing as the level is so high. I have been out of Course Racing for sometime this year dabbling in speed and other aspects of the sport and all I can say is “wow”. The entire racing we have done the past two days was to qualify for the finals tomorrow. Things are going to change tomorrow big time! You could miss a tack or jib and drop 20 places or gain 20 with making it. It is going to be a rush! It will be all or nothing racing! I can’t wait. Americans are doing great with the Heineken family leading in both on the men’s and women’s side! Adam Koch and Brian Lake are right there in striking distance. I am hanging in there fighting hard, but anything can go down tomorrow. Alex Aguera leads the Grand Masters and well he is almost beating all his team riders and can out point anyone at the age of 51! I think I better get some sleep……. Damo

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: Damien LeRoy Racing Worlds 2012 Blog

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Big congrats to Johnny Heineken and sister for winning the 2012 World Championships in Italy! It was a pleasure to race with over 200 racers from all around the world. As I had moments of great racing in the end it was a wonderful event and a big thanks goes out to all of the ISAF members helping out. Markus and the race crews involved deserve a big thank you for all the hard work that was put in. Thanks to all my sponsors for there efforts in having the best equipment there. Cabrinha kites, Aguera boards, Rista Fins, The Blackdog, Lynch Associates, GoPro. Until the next race… Thank you

Damo

Return to “Kitesurfing”