Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Racing World Championship Cagliari 2012 - Day 2

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:38 pm

SECOND DAY OF KITEBOARD RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
day 2.jpg
Gold Fleet ready with 51 riders after 7 races. Johnny and Erika Heineken leading the Overall. Good Scirocco wind and small waves at Poetto Beach.

Cagliari, October 5, 2012 - Second day challenging, but exciting for the competitors at the Kiteboard Racing World Championship, underway until Sunday at the sixth stop of Poetto Beach.

Scirocco medium-intensity, short-wave formed have framed four new races and the new battle between the four fleets (three male and one female) who selected the 51 men for the gold fleet, including local rider Luca Marcis.

Last night, as per the Notice of Race, the different fleets had been stirred to ensure an equal competition. The scirocco (south-east wind) blowing 15-18 knots, has provided more challanging conditions.

The race committee has come full circle, deciding to run four races in each group. These, added to the three on Thursday, have contributed to the total of seven and with this granting two discards for the elimination ladder.

Competitors have flocked to the race village early in the morning, for the skippers meeting and the choice of the wing - one of the three included - that best suits the conditions. Most of them opted for smaller kites than the first day, to better control the gusts coming. All the rounds have been run in safety, offering a real show to the public that packed the beach after lunch. Curious visitors and supporters, have being running around all day between the beach with laid kites and the competition village in the front area, entertained by the speaker.

In front of them a carpet of colorful kites.

Men Overall
1° Johnny Heineken (USA), points 5
2° Julien Kerneur (FRA), 6
3° Adam Koch (USA), 6

Women Overall
1° Erika Heineken (USA), points 5
2° Steph Bridge (GB), 10
3° Caroline Adrien (FRA), 18

QUOTES

Johnny Heineken
“ I felt really comfortable with my 13 m. Ozone kite, and I've smoked all the packed. Tomorrow I have to start all over again in the Gold Fleet. I wish we could carry all the previous results, but I'm ready for it. Hope for same or more wind.”

Erika Heineken
“ What a day ! I'm so happy of my results. I felt so home today, with condition very similar to San Francisco Bay. I was the only girl using a 9.0 kite, while the other were using 11 or 13, and I still managed to get first in each race. See ya tomorrow.
Attachments
7 races.jpg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.