Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Soooo..anyone think ISAF is corrupt?

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Soooo..anyone think ISAF is corrupt?

Postby ronnie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 am

tautologies wrote:
ronnie wrote:[

I'm sure there are other things going on. There are a lot of influences in the Olympics and the ISAF involving politics and money.

There never was a majority in favour of kiting. Kiting got in by one vote and the Council member who represented Spain was supposed to vote for windsurfing and claimed that he voted for kiting by accident.
A woman who represented Canada said she voted for kiting to get more women into sailing. Well she got more women into kiting because some of the many hundreds (maybe thousands) of women racing RSX and the Techno feeder class switched over to join the few kite racers (there were 3 women entered in the PKRA 2012 O'Neill Kiteboard World Cup)
http://www.prokitetour.com/news.php?id=303
You know what though...saying all these things in retrospect doesn't matter at all. You do not get a second vote because you did not inform yourself about If someone voted then they voted. You can't really undo your vote when electing representatives. Complaining that they didn't know what they were voting for makes this even worse. The only time it would be a valid excuse is if someone have been behaving fraudulently...deliberately lying and covering up stuff. Anything else is nonsense. Sorry to be harsh, but an organization really should know better then such excuses.

Now I don't know the rules and regulations 100%, but it still seems like this process was part of a mickey mouse rinky dink organization that have no rules if someone high up complains a little...this is only perception.

The way I see it is if everything happened by the book, their rule book needs updating, because a system where you can vote in and out sports from the olympics every 6 months is absolutely retarded...if not everything were by the book ie 68% to 75% vote thingy, then someone needs to take their hat and leave...it would also invalidate the final vote as far as I can see.
Thats why I said they were incompetent.

The other point I was making was that there never actually was a majority of them in favour of kiting - ever. Kiting got in by accident, so it wasn't actually a big change-around when they went to 68% for windsurfing in November.

I was surprised that after failing to get the 75% to change things at the Council level they then changed things at the AGM. Whats the point of having the 75% then? Why not just keep it at 50% if you are going to then decide that actually there was a majority in favour of windsurfing so we should change it back.
So I agree that it shows their procedures are either wrong or they dont stick to them.

The windsurf reps were caught with their pants down too and if they had ended up out of the Olympics they would have to accept it was their own fault.

The only consolation is Rio is not a windy place, so this may be the result.
http://www.surfertoday.com/windsurfing/ ... ompetition

Last edited by ronnie on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 am

tautologies wrote:
swell wrote:Without Olympic status kiteracing turns (or stays) a richkid-sport with no financial support from national goverments..
This is a big one to me. Not only do we lose the argument that kiteboarding is an olympic sport when arguing access to local beaches we also lose out on getting support and actual professional athletes in the sport.

I don't understand people that who don't like racing dislike kiteracing in the Olympics...I actually enjoy watching snowboard racing. I also like seeing halfpipe. I like racing..but I also like riding waves, or a TT. Even if I don't like riding doors, I will not give people that does like riding their doors shit for doing so.

Saying that kiteracing is not the core or soul of kiteboarding is absolute bollocks. If you do not like then don't do it. That is pretty f#$&ing easy.

If someone says it is bording to watch, they probably have not tried much at all. As a spectator sport I can see some issues if you're just sitting on the beach, but in the olympics with all the gadgetry..has the potential to be spectacular. First person experience of kite vs kite...boards bumping..high speed action and great technique. It would be super fun IMO.

Ronnie: Incompetent sure..but there must be something more going on. If they were only incompetent they would not have allowed passing the 68% vote...unless they all failed at basic 2nd grade math.
:thumb: +1

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

ronnie wrote: Thats why I said they were incompetent.
Before I start ranting..I know we kind of agree. :-)
To me this is a little more than incompetent. I do have some experience with sports organizations on a high level, and many do not know the rules they abide by, BUT and this is a big one..it opens them up for law suits, and for questions about competencies, and for dismissals. The rules in organizations where people pay membership fees are not something they can just pick and choose what to follow. Unfortunately most sports organizations are very autocratic in nature, and the best governmental structure comparison I can come up with is fascism.

This is not even to mention the face that by invalidating their own rules, now everyone knows it is an un-serious organization that does whatever it likes.

The other point I was making was that there never actually was a majority of them in favour of kiting - ever. Kiting got in by accident, so it wasn't actually a big change-around when they went to 68% for windsurfing in November.
Nope. Kiting got voted in...then there was a majority. You cannot discuss the result of a football match in terms of weeeeeell I think the team that lost should get all the points because they are really better...they just had a dude that was confused and scored a home goal...unless..and this is a big one..unless the winning team got the victory by cheating..by the judge giving them a second chance at a penalty because after all, they usually do score in 75% of the shots they take.
I was surprised that after failing to get the 75% to change things at the Council level they then changed things at the AGM. Whats the point of having the 75% then? Why not just keep it at 50% if you are going to then decide that actually there was a majority in favour of windsurfing so we should change it back.
So I agree that it shows their procedures are either wrong or they dont stick to them.
exactly.

nice vid :-) I actually want to learn windsurfing. To me it looks like fun, but I still think this whole process stinks of something that does not like the light of day.

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:27 am

tautologies wrote: I still think this whole process stinks of something that does not like the light of day.
agree ! ...and the corrupt bastards keeps their position. Amazing that a fatale scandal like this has no consequences :angryfire:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:00 pm

since RSX started a law suit against ISAF...how about IKA starts a lawsuit, specially going against the 75% thing...I guess there is a strong argument ;-)

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Remember how long snowboarding took to be recognized? And be taken seriously?
Same with kiting. Will take while. Guess 15 years is not long enough. Then again, kite racing is only about 2 years old.
A law suit will not help our cause.
X games and kiting? Get out... stupid idea. Unless you have a controlled environment, kiting will suck as a x games sport. What if there is no wind that day? X games have 1 week to pull it off, not a month of holding period.
Still not sure why the Olympics will not even show kiting as a future sport, like an exhibition . Are our kiters not Olympic material? Pretty sure they don't dope up like the fuckas in cycling.
Somewhere they all still think we are punks and not worthy. Their loss, I say.

kitewindunite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitewindunite » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 pm

FabsPH wrote:What if there is no wind that day? X games have 1 week to pull it off, not a month of holding period.
Yup. Pretty much the same thing with the Olympics though... only worse, because they'd have 4 days at the Olympics to pull it off!

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil

Postby Al-Kite-A » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 pm

FabsPH wrote:Then again, kite racing is only about 2 years old.
We have had a series in SF starting in 2006 for course racing The 2002 Bridge to Bridge was the 1st race the StFYC invited kiters to race in. I think kiters have been doing the Gorge Blow out langer than that.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:29 pm

North released the Race LTD in 2008/9

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 pm

and in 2007 the Phantom...a race twintip!

Return to “Kitesurfing”