Forum for kitesurfers
drewkite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

foiling while racing

Postby drewkite » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 pm

What are pros and cons of foiling your raceboard?

Bradn
Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil

Re: foiling while racing

Postby Bradn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:36 am

please explain what you mean by 'foiling'?

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 am

imagine driving along in a speed boat at about 10knots with an oar hanging out the back vertical in the water.
Now rotate it a bit, it will want to take off in one direction due to the water forcing against one side.
now angle the oar over a bit and it will also want to lift out the water.

So now all you gota when going upwind is use your feet and the board to angle your fins the same way and you will be off.
It doesnt need to be radical adjustments just try minor movments to see how it affect your riding.

While not the same kind of foiling as a hydra foil or the new AC72 it is still the "foil affect" that is giving you lift to help reduce drag

O and the pros are you will win races if you get it right (along with all the other things you need to do)
The cons are you will loose races if you get it wrong

drewkite
Medium Poster

Postby drewkite » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:28 am

wdric wrote:imagine driving along in a speed boat at about 10knots with an oar hanging out the back vertical in the water.
Now rotate it a bit, it will want to take off in one direction due to the water forcing against one side.
now angle the oar over a bit and it will also want to lift out the water.

So now all you gota when going upwind is use your feet and the board to angle your fins the same way and you will be off.
It doesnt need to be radical adjustments just try minor movments to see how it affect your riding.

While not the same kind of foiling as a hydra foil or the new AC72 it is still the "foil affect" that is giving you lift to help reduce drag

O and the pros are you will win races if you get it right (along with all the other things you need to do)
The cons are you will loose races if you get it wrong
Thanks bro for your reply. I got the oar part, but dont know what you mean by "you will be off"
So im cruising upwind and pushing them fins, know whats the move i do??
Thanks, i was courious about the foiling thing because some of my more advanced racer mates where saying to another racer buddy that he was overfoiling, i know like a moth or an americas cup

Bradn
Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil

Postby Bradn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:50 am

the boards are foiling the whole time driving them into the wind.
someone that over foils gets a lot of lift from the board but this creates too much drag on the fins therefore speed drops a lot and so does vmg

Return to “Kitesurfing”