Gear: North Dyno
North Rebel
Wipika Indy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How long will it take for me to become any good

Postby Chosen one » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:53 pm

I've been kitesurfing for quite a few years and I bought a tri fin race board. Does anyone have any advice in general? Does anyone have any technical tips? That would be useful and thanks for any advice.

I have about 10 hours of kite racing experience and I can comfortably go close to the wind which is the easiest direction. Travelling away from the wind is tricky. How long will it take to progress to race level?

Chosen one
Rare Poster
North Rebel
Wipika Indy

Re: How long will it take for me to become any good

Postby Chosen one » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks for reading my post.

Jojo1
Medium Poster
Style: Hydrofoil & wave riding
Gear: Paraavis gvx 2 18.5
Reo v4 9
Reo v4 6
Reo v4 4
Hydrofoil Enata with custom board
Custom wave board 5.1

Postby Jojo1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi,
Kite racing is not hard at all if you are openminded.
I started kitieboarding alone (without instructor)last year in april and i started directly with race board North ltd 2013 model and 17 m Ozone Edge kite.I dont encorage someone to do like i did but i think i did the best decision and have a lot of fun discovering a new world.
On the start it was scary.After few sessions i was able to go but i was quite stiff and unconfident.
After one month i start tacking sometimes without falling in water.
Now im rol tacking and doing realy long runs (100-300km) up and down the coast .
Downwind its easy but you must transfer your body weight more on front foot and not on back foot like on upwind.
These way you will force your board to go more downwind and so your kite will pull you less with les overall efort and beter VMG- velocity made good.these way also you wil minimise chances that your board wil rool over by side.
Race board is great choice for places with light to medium wind as you wil be able to maximize time spent on water.
Sory for my bad english
Have fun and ride safe :thumb:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 am

I have logged about 20 hours on my raceboard. I ride other directionals most of the time.

I can get up wind and downwind well and with decent speed. Hitting most gybes but still can't tack.

Chosen one
Rare Poster
North Rebel
Wipika Indy

Postby Chosen one » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:21 pm

20 hours sounds like it's not too far off. I have been out for another session since yesterday. I'm encouraged now it's getting a bit easier. The fins are quite big and I wonder what smaller windsurf fins would be like to use as I'm sure the upwind capability would still be there with a fin 2/3 the size and less spikey! Kitesurfing along the coastline sounds good as the prevailing direction's onshore here.

Return to “Kitesurfing”