RRD Global Bar Safety Question

Forum for kitesurfers
Er Presidente
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Global Bar Safety Question

Postby Er Presidente » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:05 am

I just bought a quiver of Religion and the RRD bar.
Very excited about the kites. I was excited about the bar too until I saw the safety system when releasing the QR.
The mini fifth line connects to both the front lines. Not cool. I was hoping for a single line connection.
I read that of the kite arc is open enough the leash line can be connect to BOTH the fromt lines and kill the power quite efficiently. But the kite is not a flat arc kite in my opinion at all.

Any experience you guys can share on the RRD religion safety and depower once the QR is activated?

Also when doing a self rescue you guys recommend wrapping first BOTH the front lines, or just one single line first?

Thanks for all the help

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Re: RRD Global Bar Safety Question

Postby bnthere » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:18 am

you might hear a lot of responses to that post (or not) regarding what to do and how effective and how didnt you know that before you bought it etc etc. just thought i would throw it out there that you can fly that kite on any other bar that you prefer, and a single centerline leash will disable that kite effectively (as it will every other kite, ever) if you have another bar with a leash system that you trust, use it.

when flying any kite / bar combo for the first time, esp a mix match: create as much backline slack as possible through rigging/tuning for first flight. then tighten as necessary to find proper tuning.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks man. But my question is how can RRD, a pretty reputable brand, still go with double front line flagging despite all the customers' concerns about it?
I was hoping to hear from people who own Religions and were willing to share their experiences.

I am reading the same complaint for FOne Bandit owners but I don't hear much from North Evo, dice, Neo and fuse owners who have the same double front line safety flagging setup

wetdog
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wetdog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:06 pm

I prefer single line flag out, but to be honest I don't see a problem with the mini-5th-line system that RRD, F-one and North use. You don't write anything about your own experience with activating the QR. Have you tried and do you actually find that it doesn't flag enough?

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Are you saying that a single front flaging line system is infallable? Try contacting rrd direct and see if you can hunt down an answer to your question. In the meantime use a single front line safety bar if you got one

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm sitting on the fence on this one...

RRD used a single line flag on 2009/10 global bar and then changed to the double centre line flag out from 2011,2012,2013 & 2014 on every RRD religion & obsession. They clearly test the bar in all condtions and deemed it safe and effective. :wink: .... you will get a lot of personal opinions on here but thats their prefered design in low to medium winds. In high winds they recommend you attach to the outside "o'shit" handle which is a single line flag out. I my experience the outside line can cause a lot of problems with the kite spinning like hell until it hits the water. You must try all for your self and be happy is my recommendation. Go to a shallow water beach and try in medium winds with all the settings.

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:40 am

2012 was the last year the bar had o shit handles. 2013 and 2014 don't have the, anymore.
Look maybe this 2 front line flagging system works.
There is no way I would test that in high winds unless I have to. That's why I was asking if anybody did a self rescue or self landing in high winds releasing the QR.
I rode the kite today for the first time and it's a jewel.
I found the feeling v similar to the early naish Park without their typical over sheeting problem.

I know I can use other bars but I generally love to use the recommended bar.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:56 am

no leash system is "infallible" that is why there is a secondary release on the leash (which of course is more likely to be necessary for reasons other than the kite failed to disable, like it is getting munched by a big wave)

there are many examples of double centerline leash systems performing well, but also examples of them not. can't speak to experience with your setup.

Kites and bars are very different pieces of gear, and as badly as the "industry" wants you believe that they must go together, they do not. its even dumber than boards coming with bindings on them as apposed to separate so a person can put bindings on their board that actually fit their feet right. (like in every other board sport) ((which is starting to happen, fortunately. kiteboarding is improving slowly))

Return to “Kitesurfing”