Kitesurfing in Hong Kong Tips

Forum for kitesurfers
dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitesurfing in Hong Kong Tips

Postby dejavu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:08 am

Hong Kong Kiting-Shui Hau
catch the train to Tong Chung from HK, about 20 mins from Tsim shian San Tsui then get bus 11 for about 20 mins. Was a 20 min Que at Tong Chung for the bus. Oyster card OK. They arrive every 15 mins. Sit on the left and as close to the front. The bus will go over the range and once the bus gets to the bottom of the hill and you can see the bay the bus will turn right. Get off the bus in about 5 mins and look for either the kites on the bay or get off straight after you see the soccer field on the left. Press the red button on the overhead rail or handle on the seat. Once off, walk behind the soccer field and you will see the two kiting camps.
The wind is often light at 10 to 13 knots so a big kite like 15 or 17 is the go. There are basic facilities toilet, rinse shower, donation $20HK, water to wash gear, air compressor and you can get a cold drink, Coke $10HK. There is some seating under some canopies from rain or sun.

When the tide is low there is sand and some grass to set up. At low tide the walk out Is about 400m at low tide then about 9 inches deep for about 500m. At high tide the depth is about a metre or so. On high tide after launch head south a bit for 150 m then tack east to miss the oyster bed right in front of the camp. There are some oysters and rocks under foot at spots so you need boots and cautiously I would wear a thin wetsuit. If you are experienced then boardies will do. You can rent total gear for about $800 for a day or thereabouts from Nicky To who is the IKO instructor and you could also take lessons. Water quality looks fair or better than I expected for HK. Caught a cab back from the beach to Silvermine Bay Ferry terminal $80HK and about a 10 min fare. There are some cafe's there if you want a snack. Then caught the Ferry to Central, it takes about 55 mins. Oyster Card is OK. Of course you could catch the no 11 bus back from the beach to Tong Chun if you prefer but the ferry is pleasant and less constrained than the bus.
IMG_2781.JPG
IMG_1223.PNG
IMG_2776.JPG
IMG_2783.JPG

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing in Hong Kong Tips

Postby nick14 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:20 pm

I go to HK for work a bit and have aken all my equipment a couple of times thinking ill be able to kite on the weekends. I havent been able to yet but that doesnt mean it cannot be done. Here is a link to the kite spots http://kite2high.com/kitespots.htm . I did however go across to Tawain which was a bit of fun. Stayed at a place called the spot. Its run by a great guy called Tony fish.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nick14 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Sorry Dejavu, your message didnt come up so i thought you were asking for tips. This infos great ill try it out next time. Have you been across to tawain? Gets pretty windy there.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 am

No I have not ben across to Taiwan but will at some point. Also Hainen Island is on my list.

Return to “Kitesurfing”