Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

12m - 13m size dilemma for waves

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

12m - 13m size dilemma for waves

Postby markchatwin » Wed May 07, 2014 6:39 pm

I've been trying to find kites to consider for the lighter wind waves/rollers we get up here in Upstate NY. For starters I'm 75kg (165 lbs) and like to ride strapless 5'11" as well as a strapped 5'6" North Whip for jumping/wave hopping. Yesterday I felt like I had the wrong kite for the 13-15mph side on conditions - also many 20-23 mph gusts thrown in there. It was my 2014 12m Slingshot Rally.

There was so much grunt in that kite (even depowered) for the higher gusts that I could not keep it low in the sky safely. I'd pick up so much board speed that I'd bail out. My most nirvana day for that kite was a steady 15mph day last Fall where the Rally 12m just zoned in on "park and ride" style wave riding and really smooth big hang time jumps on the way out.

But it is a slower kite with big pull - i.e. - has a "heavy feel". I wonder what kites out there I should consider that are more performance orientated and can handle the gusts? But drift as well as a big kite can, turn fast, etc...

Kites I'm thinking about are:
1. Epic Surf Kite 12m - looks like it is designed for these conditions save for the jumping
2. North Dice 12m-13m - may jump better than Epic Surf kite but not pivot turn

Anyone find a good kite for the conditions above?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 12m - 13m size dilemma for waves

Postby BWD » Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Sounds like the main problem was the gusts. Maybe it got a little windier than expected?
For 15 gusting up over 20, choose 10m and be slow or work kite between gusts, 12m and get too much power on gusts.

There are so many kite options out there, but it may boil down to choosing the kite size for conditions, and this is usually a compromise, except on those "nirvana" days.
If you want total shut-off and drift, stick with a true wave kite and give up some jumping, but it sounds like with gusts into the 20s, not many 12-13m wave kites could be considered in their sweet spot for your weight.

i96dansa
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby i96dansa » Wed May 07, 2014 6:52 pm

I have not tested it myself but there are a few guys at my local beach claiming to have fun with the 2014 F-one Bandit 12m on those light wind days.
Personally I have never had a good day in the waves if the wind requires a bigger kite than my 9m.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 pm

Yeh I'd agree, anything above 9/10m it starts to becomes park and ride type of surfing. Those two you mentioned are worth demoing for sure.

Personally if you want a quick turning kite, like real quick, you had better put the airush wave on that list.

Also what would be worth considering is the new north neo, you can use a smaller size than normal with a lot of power. That's its design profile. Along similar lines to the epic surf kite, which I reckon is a good choice to try. Although I think both the epic surf and the neo you may still have over powering issues.

But you can't have ya cake and eat it as well. You want good bottom end and fast turning that screams give me some delta in the wing aka, new neo, rally etc. which means less of a top end for gust control.

Something think the wave and dice, you will need to work for your money at the lower end (can I suggest add a nugget to your quiver) but both have a remarkable top end.

Longwave
Rare Poster
Local Beach: PnP
Favorite Beaches: Les Landes...
Style: surf
Gear: RRD Religion 7m Switch Method V2 9m and 11m
RRD Obsession 9m and 12m Blade Trigger 10m
RRD Addiction 14m etc... and kitesurfboards (F-One fish 5'2", Underground 5'8", surfboards and a North nugget)

Postby Longwave » Thu May 08, 2014 12:04 am

Peter Lynn Swell 12m??? Never tried it but I'm on the same quest: 12m good low end, good power control on a short distance on the bar and quick turning for surfing in 13 knots. The Epic Surf is certainly interesting. I "heard", so take it as it is, that the RRD Religion 12m is not grunty and doesn't turn fast.
Westozzy mentionned the Nugget. Well I am 75 Kg and I have the first version of the nugget, works well in not choppy conditions otherwise it bounces way too much.

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Thu May 08, 2014 5:21 am

I ride the Griffin Trx 2014 kites, I can be in overhead waves in 12 knots, and can handle 20 easy with it. One of the best gust handling kites I have ridden. Plus they turn VERY fast. I can loop down the line one handed. I know there are tons of great kites out there, but this one is well worth trying. It is also is extremely well priced. Don't know if there are any in your area, but if there is give them a spin.

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

Airush Wave 9m would be the tool for your demands

It is a wave kite, that is also a good freeride kite, so you can boost as much as you desire or you can ride it down the line with good drift

Awesome kite, get a demo. Then you will understand :thumb:

A 12n Rally was not the right kite in those conditions IMHO

Another kite for you to try is the 2014 12m Wave. But I think you will find a 9m Wave will work very well for you

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu May 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Yeh the trx is a fast turning kite for sure. 9m wave in those winds, not sure about that?

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu May 08, 2014 3:02 pm

A 9 or 10m kite would not have worked that day in 13-23. The basic wind strength was about 13-15mph with some 10mph lulls and 23mph gusts. I have a huge Nuggetish surfboard called the Surftech Xanadu Wave Rocket. It is 5'8" by about 21 3/4" wide and huge volume. It is a twin keel fish design that is my light wind specific surfboard. In these conditions it wouldn't have worked because the gusts routinely got me standing on my toes rocketing across the water with my harness in my throat. And that was with my standard 5'11"x 18" Doc Lausch thruster.

The problem I believe was the intense pull of the 2014 12m Rally. I swear it feels like a 14m. The answer to me would be a 12m that acts like a 12m and more turning speed in the kite. I needed to move the kite for the lulls and I believe that being able to get the kite quickly out of the power zone would have helped. Big Deltas move slowly through the window… And when the gusts came I had to hold on until I got the kite overhead.

Thanks for the replies :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Understand your dilemma fully.

I use an 11m2 kite for light wind waveriding (and earlier also a 13m2 but have dropped that one now).

Using a high depower fast turning kite (a wavekite) for this.

(Fortunately these kites also work excellent for hydrofoilboarding, except for marginal winds, but that is another topic)

If the wind is steady and waves small, I sometimes used a non-depower powerful 10m2 instead, but has dropped this one too now, and use the 11m2 instead as it covers so much more :thumb:

Takoon Furia is my choice, and have been ever since the first one came years ago (now it is 5th generation Furia).

Turns really fast, has huge depower and range, and can be controlled with one hand if you like - and this is what it is all about :naughty:

Of course, I use to say "In light wind does the kite almost not matter at all and everything works for waveriding". Still true.

But if bigger waves (=more apparent wind) or gusty/changing wind, a real wavekite (high depower gust absorbing fast turning) works much better also in big sizes IMO.

Not used as much as the smaller kites (a 7m2 is typical for waveriding for me at 77kg), but sometimes it is great when the conditions are there, and a 9 just wont make it :rollgrin:

I simply hate low end delta like kites that pulls a lot and sits deep, for waveriding, but that is me I know.
If you are heavy, these kites works better, but when light or medium, I find these a no no :o

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”