Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

3rd Session with a race board...... damn good fun.

Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

3rd Session with a race board...... damn good fun.

Postby FredBGG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 am

First of all having let the board go fast I now have renewed respect for kite board racers.

Damn things are fast s hell.

I was out on a FreeRace by north... and I'm guessing it's not the fastest this out there.

I'm 225LBS and was riding at the most 25mph wind with a rather old Naish Bolt 9m.

Even fully depowered it was like a rocket once unto speed. Just sheeting in a little would accelerate in leaps and bounds.
Going a little upwind and against the swell was like dirt biking with a Wide Ration gear box screaming through the whoops in the desert. Going over the swell at high speed made for 4 to 5 foot jumps... but 30 to 50 feet long. Sort of reminded me of windsurfing at high speeds a bit.

What was also interesting is that I did a long downwinder too and ended up at a beach with much lower wind. It would take working the kite a bit to get going, but once the board was planning it was like the wind came from nowhere. I was screaming along with almost no bar pressure.
Brilliant :thumb:

Going straight downwind in the light wind was a bit of a slog, but on a broad reach it would take.

Anyway I've got the bug now and this is going to be fun on light flat days.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 3rd Session with a race board...... damn good fun.

Postby davesails7 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:46 pm

The fastest way downwind is "tacking" downwind on broad reaches. You need to get going really fast pointing a bit higher first. This make the apparent wind shift around in front of you. Then gradually head downwind as you pick up speed. You should still be pushing against the fins a bit.

So you're on a broad reach to the true wind angle, but close reach to th apparent wind angle.

Then play with heading up and down to keep ypur speed up and tension in the lines.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:30 am

FredBGG wrote: I was out on a FreeRace by north.

Even fully depowered it was like a rocket once unto speed.

Going a little upwind and against the swell was like dirt biking with a Wide Ration gear box screaming through the whoops in the desert.

I was screaming along with almost no bar pressure.Brilliant :thumb:

This was your 3rd session on your awesome Freerace 2012 board
You were sooooooooooo very happy
Did you start being unhappy when you notice a wobble in the fins before your 4th session ?

Just sayin
:coolshades:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:10 pm

It is so nice to hear a positive review about the tri-fin mini-tuttle Freerace 2012 North board
It's all about having fun.....and you truly were stocked with that board and factory North fins
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink: :D :D :D :D :D :idea: :D :D :D :D :thumb: :P :P :P :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”