Gear: Naish Gloal 5'10"
Ozon Reo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Osmose on NKB LTD Race Board

Postby jodok » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello everybody!

I observed bubbles on my NKB LTD Race board. The distributor told me, that this is osmose, because I put my board wet into the bag.

Hmmmm.....has someone experience with osmose on full carbon sandwich boards?

Thanks for comments!
Jodok
Attachments
IMG_0755.JPG

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Osmose on NKB LTD Race Board

Postby norcom » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:32 pm

I've had a similar experience on a couple of my windsurf boards. It's the paint that's absorbing water. If you pop one of the bubbles water should come out. Sucks but not structurally critical. Just dry the board before you bag it. Don't leave it on top of a wet surface either. One of my boards was drying in the garage on top of a bag and water puddled on the bag and was absorbed.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:10 pm

if your distributor meant physical process called osmosis NKB should make big money selling this paint. and that would mean there is salt under the layer of paint that water from outside tries to dilute.

but i don't think so. looks like there is moisture inside the board and it condenses under the layer of paint. how the water got there is another question.

funny you should dry out the very board that meant to be used in water. may be it is better to leave such a treasure on the shelf of the kiteshop...

Rattlehead
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brighton, Qld
Style: Freeride / race
Gear: 2012 North rebel 13 m
2012 North fuse 9 m
2008 north rhino 12 m
2010 Eh ovando 11 m
2011 x19 spleene 19 m
2008 135x35 north phantom
2010 140x41 nobile 50/50
2012 naish Venturi 190x70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rattlehead » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:38 am

Don't think it's osmosis unless North are making their boards out of polyester resin , osmosis doesn't occur in epoxy , looks like moisture getting into the paint .

Return to “Kitesurfing”