Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No Wind Training to solve my Florida blues...

forum for kitesurfers

zenlikeme
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

No Wind Training to solve my Florida blues...

Postby zenlikeme » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 am

Well guys, this season has really sucked for us in Florida. Actually it's been excrutiatingly painful. The worst part is that riding has been so sparse and sporadic I can't seem to ride for more than a few hours without my muscles fatiguing. I'd love to be able to ride all day when it comes but it seems that all of those small or rarely used kiteboarding specific muscles simply aren't conditioned enough to stay out for a whole day.

I exercise regulary but am interested in exercises that my kiting, specifically, would benefit most from.

In addition to my regular routine (I'm actually quite fit), I've been focusing more on the following believing they more beneficial to my riding:

Lots and lots of bike riding
Squats and lunges
Situps
Lat pulls
Pull ups

So what's everyone else doing... especially you guys that are competitively training?

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Eduardo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:43 am

there is only one exercise that works

1. get on plane
2. head to windy place
3. kite every day

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:10 am

Your routine is a good start, but look into some more core exercises.

Kiting is core intensive, the stronger it is, the easier it will be on everything else.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:20 am

I feel ya! It has been abit depressing but it will get better. I am here in the keys and even though we tend to get more wind then most, this year sucks. I and quite a few now are really into SUP (stand up paddlesurfing). Full body workout from your feet to your neck. We have a trip to the reef offshore when we get some swell. I work with The Otherside Boardsports in Islamorada who will rent you a board and paddle if you want to try it on a no wind day or take it fishing in the flats. We use Amundson boards that have soft-tops and mast tracks so you could sail it.

I'll be out everyday for 3-5 hours for the next few days until the wind comes back.

paul m
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1995
Style: kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: cabrinha

Postby paul m » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Well, we must have something different in kEy West, as we have wind since spetember14th.....in 4 months have 11 unteachable days and i rode my 9 and 8 more than i ever did for those months in years. This is a strong La nina right now. I have got as much sup in cause been kiting. Our school in Miami has although had lots more no wind days, but in La Nina, you will see it turn on in jan, be a bit cold....but windy till june. Lots of N.E. winds and turning south every 8 days....looked at my records from last one.

Bad news, La Nina means a brutal summer for us with huricanes if it stays!

zenlikeme
Rare Poster

down south

Postby zenlikeme » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:39 pm

Yea... you guys in the Keys are fortunate. I've been noticing that you have much more wind than when you start heading north. I'm defininitely jealous... Hoping to make a trip down or maybe a relocation ;D

chriskeiser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: south outer banks
Favorite Beaches: anywhere the wind blows and the waves crash.
Style: surf

Postby chriskeiser » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:06 pm

hang a bar in a tree
add a trampoline for the bar in the tree, more fun
grinch winch
wakeskate/wakeboard
stand up paddle surf (this is probably the best all around workout)
indo board
thruster board (this is a killer surf specific skateboard, check it on the website. it is a new toy.)
http://www.windtoysfun.com

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:18 am

paul m wrote:Well, we must have something different in kEy West, as we have wind since spetember14th.....in 4 months have 11 unteachable days and i rode my 9 and 8 more than i ever did for those months in years.

Ha ha Paul, you don't count :wink:

I saw you riding with a tiny three meter Switchblade in 12 knots the other day :thumb:

B-rad Lange
Frequent Poster

Re: No Wind Training to solve my Florida blues...

Postby B-rad Lange » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 am

noel wrote:I feel ya! It has been abit depressing but it will get better. I am here in the keys and even though we tend to get more wind then most, this year sucks. I and quite a few now are really into SUP (stand up paddlesurfing). Full body workout from your feet to your neck. We have a trip to the reef offshore when we get some swell. I work with The Otherside Boardsports in Islamorada who will rent you a board and paddle if you want to try it on a no wind day or take it fishing in the flats. We use Amundson boards that have soft-tops and mast tracks so you could sail it.

I'll be out everyday for 3-5 hours for the next few days until the wind comes back.

Not sure what Islamorada you are talking about Noel...but this year has not sucked...at all. We have been riding and teaching almost every day...

I am reporting what Paul said...lots of wind and few unridable days...but we teach out at the Islamorada sandbar where there is more wind...and in all directions...

and Zenlikeme...if you are really looking for a kite-like non wind activity to keep ripping...get behind a boat...

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: No Wind Training to solve my Florida blues...

Postby noel » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 am

B-rad Lange wrote:
noel wrote:I feel ya! It has been abit depressing but it will get better. I am here in the keys and even though we tend to get more wind then most, this year sucks. I and quite a few now are really into SUP (stand up paddlesurfing). Full body workout from your feet to your neck. We have a trip to the reef offshore when we get some swell. I work with The Otherside Boardsports in Islamorada who will rent you a board and paddle if you want to try it on a no wind day or take it fishing in the flats. We use Amundson boards that have soft-tops and mast tracks so you could sail it.

Not sure what Islamorada you are talking about Noel...but this year has not sucked...at all. We have been riding and teaching almost every day...

I am reporting what Paul said...lots of wind and few unridable days...but we teach out at the Islamorada sandbar where there is more wind...and in all directions...

and Zenlikeme...if you are really looking for a kite-like non wind activity to keep ripping...get behind a boat...

Compared to most years, this year sucks. Most people in Florida will say the same. Anybody with I-Kitesurf membership can check this years history of wind. Just remember that what ever the wind reads for Molasses Reef, you can subtract 5-6 mph as the meter is 15 miles out in open seas at the reef and always reads higher then what it is on shore.

So I guess this isn't the same Brad from Islamorada that I talked to a few weeks ago and said the same thing about this year being a bit off on the wind. I do how ever see your instructors out most days teaching in sub 12 mph days. Most of the time the coaches have to hot launch the kites for the students because the wind is too light for the kites to relaunch on there own. Hey, I don't know, maybe that brand doesn't relaunch well to begin with.

Return to “Kitesurfing”