Omega beginners kite?

forum for kitesurfers

crash&burn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Omega beginners kite?

Postby crash&burn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 pm

I know the Omega is/was marketed as a school/beginner kite but in my opinion it is much more than that.

It was Pete Cabrinhas kite of choice in last years line up, and i think they just tweaked it out a little and called it the Revolver this year.

In the last year i went from flying the xbows in 2.1 and started flying the omega in 1.1. It took me a little while to get dialed in but once i did i found the kite was super fast, responsive, and will boost you to the moon with the feeling of a ckite, lacking the float of the bows in the cab line up.

I was wondering if any other experienced kiters have flown the Omega what your thoughts may be on the high performance side of this "beginner kite"

Gfunk
Medium Poster

Postby Gfunk » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:56 pm

I've gotten some flack for saying it but I totally agree 100%. I was on Xbow2's for a while. When my gf started kiting she picked up some Omegas.

I tried out her big kite (9m) in 2:1 and wasn't too impressed. Switched it up to 1:1 and it took some time to adjust, but very soon it was my Cabrinha kite of choice - even over the SB's. Crazy stuff. Can whip that kite around and loop it all over the place like nothing. Very smooth power.

There's another high level rider around here on Omegas. He goes big throwing down anything and everything.

Either way I'm on the 08 Ocean Rodeo Rise now.... it's insane. Try it out if you can. Super fast and responsive, light bar, very smooth. You can fly it very aggressively with that same mentality.

Wow, basically I just admitted to loving a "newbie kite" and mooching my gf's gear. Haha

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:19 am

To bad they are planning to discontinue the Omega kite this spring. But there are some deals on them for not much over $800 new. I've got the 9 and 12 that way.

I've heard some people don't like the alloy bar that comes standard with them.

I'm still a beginner level kiter on the water and it is nice to know the Omega offers some excitement as I improve.

It was also the first kite to get the improved tougher construction from Cabrinha.

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Omega beginners kite?

Postby islandstylen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:20 pm

i have a new omega for sale for a very good price, flown once, never crashed. 12m complete with bar/lines and bag PM me if anyone interested.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:51 am

Omega is the favorite freestyle kite of my kids, and they are hot.
I loved it in the waves, but moved to the revolver now.
Nico

superpedro
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gilgo beach
Style: Crappy
Gear: Wainman kites
North select
Slingshot celeritas

Postby superpedro » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi there, i'm thinking in buying the new Cabrinha Convert hd 15m to complement my 12m omega, i'm guessing that the convert is the replacement this year for the omega, or shall i go for the 14m revolver hd. i'm still a beginner but i'm going to Cancun and tulum for 1 week in february and the wind is between 9 to 15 knots. any advise would be appreciated

pedro

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:23 pm

superpedro wrote:Hi there, i'm thinking in buying the new Cabrinha Convert hd 15m to complement my 12m omega, i'm guessing that the convert is the replacement this year for the omega, or shall i go for the 14m revolver hd. i'm still a beginner but i'm going to Cancun and tulum for 1 week in february and the wind is between 9 to 15 knots. any advise would be appreciated

pedro

I guess you are in a hurry to buy. I have a 9Omega 12Crossbow and 14Contra, but am a beginner. The Revolver is designed for waves and if it were me, I would only buy it if I was doing a lot of waveriding. The 15Convert would be a good choice, or if you are over 85kg, maybe the 17Contra.

bigwave
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Free ride,Freestyle, Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Cabrinha
Boards: Nobile, Aguera, Cabrinha ,Shinn
Harnesses: Dakine Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: www.silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

The replacement for the Omega is the Revolver.The Convert is a bow kite with a 2:1 or 1:1 option.The Omega is a great kite,super fast with lots of power.I've used 9,12,and 15 all in 1:1 with great results.If your under 200lbs and want a dedicated lightwind kite then a Contra 14m would be a very good choice.It pulls very good and its high end has been improved. My favorite kite is the Switch Blade 3. It has excellent power and flies up wind better than any Cabrinha kite I've used.The turning speed is improved and the construction is much stronger. If you could try some of the models back to back you would get a great feel for what might be right for you. I thought the Omega was just a "beginner" kite until I tried it. Its a really fun kite to fly.
:thumb:

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: Epickites kiteboarding

Postby Soleas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 am

The Omega is an awesome kite. I had the 9m :thumb:

Debauchery
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Debauchery » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 am

I purchased a 9m Omega this past spring after taking lessons in Cabarete on Waroos. I absolutely love my Omega! When it was too windy for me to use my 9m, a few of the experienced kiters around here took it out and loved how fast turning and responsive it was. I have since purchased a 7m as well. I was surprised that Cabrinha discontinued them so quickly. Now because of that, they are being sold at a very attractive price. Don't let the beginner stigma steer you away.

Return to “Kitesurfing”