Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2008 Ocean Rodeo SLE Bar Production Concern

forum for kitesurfers

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

2008 Ocean Rodeo SLE Bar Production Concern

Postby ORSales » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:41 pm

We recently discovered that we have shipped some 2008 SLE bars with a knot that is too small on the front line stopper ball and will allow the leash attachment to pull through the stopper.

Please note 3 things:
1) The 2008 SLE bar ships with an "Oh Sh!t" handle installed on this leash attachment point. Should the line slip through the stopper this handle will prevent the total loss of the line.
2) Not all 2008 SLE bars have this issue. It appears to be limitted to a select number. None the less, it is smart to check your bar.
3) If you have already experienced having the knot slip through the stopper please contact us for a free replacement front line leader and stopper ball with a properly tied knot.

The SLE Bar's Front Line Swivel Assembly features a Front Line Leash Attachment Point. This is the cause for concern as it would appear the knot used to hold the stopper ball in place is too small.

If you have any doubt as to the size of the knot or if this repair is needed go ahead and make the repair, it won't hurt!

(click on any image to enlarge)

Front Line Swivel Assembly

Inspect the Knot

Correct! :D - knot tied in thick part of line

Incorrect :( - knot tied in thin part of line.

Solution :idea:

Balance Things Out

Bueno!

John Z - OR

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:24 pm

FYI, my 2007 SLE bar has a similar issue, except that there is NO knot under the stopper ball. My stopper ball slid down over the course of a few months and totally enveloped the velcro tab. I only thought of it as an inconvenience until seeing this post. In my case, I have been riding with a leash attached to that point, so it couldn't have totally disconnected even if it eventually passed over the velcro tab. There does not appear to be room to tie a knot below the stopper ball, and the knot above it is too tight to undo. I will contact you independently of this to try and get a replacement. But I am posting here so that 2007 owners know to also check their setup.

Wind Breaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Wind Breaker » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Hmmmm... on second thought, I see that the knot that is now above my stopper ball was originally below it, but it slipped past the knot exactly as described in your post. Only the wadded up velcro held it in position. Again, this was an early 2007 OR SLE bar - not 2008.

Other than that, the bar design is great! Cleanest bar I've found that also includes nice things like a sliding stopper and a simple quick release.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Wind Breaker.

You are correct. This issue affected some of our 2007 bars too. We thought we had sufficiently impressed upon our Chinese manufacturer the importance of this fix but they apparently allowed that lesson to fade and repeated the mistake again.

At that time we thought of switching to a ring to ring connection but thought against it because we had thought the issue was addressed and because we were concerned that if people were to attach a leash to this connection point there would be the opportunity for them to be confused and attach the leash to the wrong ring, which could be very dangerous. As such we stayed with the ball. Given that China can not seem to get this right though we have decided to go to a ring to ring connection and will modify our Oh Sh!t handle to include a leash attachment loop on the end of the handle, hopefully helping to avoid having a confused kiter leash off of the wrong ring.

There are always trade offs and concerns when it comes to bar design, safety and ease of use. I do agree with you though, I love our bar system for its simple and clean design.

John

Bernie Fehmarn
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2008 Ocean Rodeo SLE Bar Production Concern

Postby Bernie Fehmarn » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Be careful, kites often start to spin (loop endless) when leash is connected to one of the front flying lines!!! Had bad experience concerning this.

dwarf
Frequent Poster

Postby dwarf » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:40 pm

Both One and Rise kites do NOT spin at all when you release it to 1 leaderline. Most SLE kites will spin if you release to 1 steeringline.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Where is it possible to find detailed pics of this clean and simple bar design ?
Thanks.
E2

Gfunk
Medium Poster

Postby Gfunk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:27 pm

My 08 bar is fine... knot in the right spot. It's a nice bar and the Rise is awesome.

ORCustomerService
Medium Poster

Postby ORCustomerService » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:28 pm

Where is it possible to find detailed pics of this clean and simple bar design ?
Thanks.

Hey E2...follow the link to our website for bar images.

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/slebar.php#

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm

Europ2 wrote:Where is it possible to find detailed pics of this clean and simple bar design ?
Thanks.
E2

You can find all the information you need on our SLE Bar here.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Converting the World one rider at a time.
Attachments
SLE Bar.jpg
SLE Bar.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 619 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”